R1S wanders on freeway, alignment fix?

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Ever since I got my R1S a few weeks ago, it will ping pong or wander in its lane when driving on the freeway. I have 20” AT tires. Steering wheel isn’t dead center either. Would an alignment fix the wandering problem?
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Do you notice the R1 pulling right?

sean_k

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just took my R1T to the el segundo SC for alignment because I had an error message that kept popping up when trying to use driver+ . Mine was pulling to the right.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

if it is ping ponging check to see if your "lane assist" setting it turned on. That will bounce you from side to side on narrow freeway lane markers. Very easy to turn off.

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
Similar response to others...

On my infrequent commute (36 between Denver/Boulder since there are a lot of people in the area here), I often use the HOV/Toll lane. This lane is relatively wide, especially in the areas you are supposed to enter/exit where it goes from double solid white lines to single dashed line. When I turn on Driver+ it will pong between the 2 lines once or twice before it figures out an alignment with the lines (or maybe just one of them) that it's happy with. This also happens during the transition between double/single line sometimes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
if it is ping ponging check to see if your "lane assist" setting it turned on. That will bounce you from side to side on narrow freeway lane markers. Very easy to turn off.
Lane assist is off. The Vehicle just doesn’t track a straight line very well. It is my wife’s car so I’ll have to jump in it and see if it pulls right.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Bummer. I was worried about that when I picked up my R1T after reading many posts about drifting. Luckily mine drives straight as an arrow. The lane assist was annoying because of all the line scraping and repainting they have done here on I-5 but since it looks like you are in San Diego you are all too familiar with this as well. And if it is your wife's car, then it is always right!!!!

cypressroots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Just got this fixed. Have SC do a full realignment. Both camber and toe were off, causing the car to wander. Tech said it is from the weight of the vehicle. It fixed my steering wheel alignment and the S pulling slightly right.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It could be tramlining which is caused by the road surface. Does it do it on any/all roads, or repeatedly on only some roads?
Rivian R1T R1S R1S wanders on freeway, alignment fix? 1670343729892

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
It could be tramlining which is caused by the road surface. Does it do it on any/all roads, or repeatedly on only some roads?
1670343729892.png
Oh my gosh. This brings be back to my days driving in Europe (Germany mostly). The compound they use in the asphalt would make these "Wagon Trails" and it drove me crazy trying to keep my car centered on some roads where trucks would carve out some nice grooves

Rivian R1T R1S R1S wanders on freeway, alignment fix? csm_a028d80a293985f49d550ecdb12e69f97cc999e9_23e99d786c

OP
OP
Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
I'll take it into Rivian service here in San Diego and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored