Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well, the best ones I have seen have been tire mount that fold down. They impact total length zero and have no impact on day to day access to the rear of the vehicle. So, remove the tire and add an attachment point or boss that is designed for various accessories - ski/snowbard rack, bikes, etc. Perhaps a clever way to make the boss/attachment point "hidden" in some way. It really only works for swing out doors though and of course Rivian does not have that.

The other convenient but less sturdy mounting via straps and "rest" on the back of the vehicle. Again if the arms fold down very little impact to overall length.

I'll think on it some more but there has to be some better way than lifting two/three bikes 6 feet and attaching them or a PITA hitch attachment. Hopefully some engineer can crack that nut. Someone ping Rivian and have them kick of a design challenge. I'd give it a shot if they ask lol. :)
Sponsored

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
As I mentioned I am definitely in the R1S camp - mainly due to me being a urban dweller. The one thing I dislike about my current SUV is the hitch mount bike carrier on the back. It sticks out 1.5 feet and makes opening the rear door a two step process. Taking it on and off for a ride and then storing is also a major pain. If I have to mount another hitch based bike carrier I might as well get the R1T - it would be the same length - but bikes in the bed. Lifting and securing bikes on top of a 6 foot car does not sound super fun.

I honestly think there could be some innovation in the space, perhaps from Rivian...The designs of bike racks are pretty stagnant as far as the actual car manufacturers go. I have some designs actually but alas I don't work in automotive :p

Just some thoughts...
What type of rack do you have?
The Kuat NV 2.0 makes it fairly easy to tilt the rack and open the back. The new 1up USA rack also makes opening the rear an easy job with the rack on. Both fairly expensive racks, but well worth the money if you ride a lot.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
As we talk about the R1S, wouldn’t it be cool if somehow a step could come out of the floor board of the R1S so that you can comfortably work on putting a bike or other gear on the roof of the SUV?

We know a gear tunnel cannot be done on the R1S, but certainly a flat step-out could slide out since the skateboard frame is flat. I understand that is simplistic, so may be a step flips down either from the door itself, or from the floorboard some how. Since the back seat are storage options beneath that middle row or on the R1T, maybe an option for the slide out step could be made.

Lastly, with the same theory above, I was thinking of a ramp for dogs would be cool coming out of the back of the R1S or R1T, however, for either, the spare tire would block that idea.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
What type of rack do you have?
The Kuat NV 2.0 makes it fairly easy to tilt the rack and open the back. The new 1up USA rack also makes opening the rear an easy job with the rack on. Both fairly expensive racks, but well worth the money if you ride a lot.
Those are two nice racks but I still wonder how effective a tilt rack system would be with regards to gaining access to the cargo area when the rear entry is a split hatch - lower half a tail gate and upper half (window) swings up like a hatch - which the R1S has.

BTW, here are two decent demo vids for the Kuat NV 2.0 and 1up USA racks.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have a Thule that swings out Sao access the back with three bikes on is possible, but still a pain. The extension when parallel parking is also a bummer. Maybe just the way it goes, but would be awesome if someone engineered something integrated or novel.

The model I have I believe is the (actually the model before it)
Thule Apex XT Swing 4

Sponsored

Davelv

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra 1500, 2020 BMW 530xi
Occupation
Engineer
Well to answer this forum's title, since I have a trimotor Cybertruck on order, I order the R1S as I need an SUV plus it looks like a Range Rover Land Rover.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I originally ordered the R1S, but the R1T looks like it's oozing with awesome storage. While the R1S would probably be better for my 3 kids, I'm not sure how comfortable that 3rd row would be anyway. Looks like R1S has up to 108 cubic feet of storage, wonder what the R1T has. I'm also worried that the R1S doesn't have the cool accessories that the R1T has.

Anyone know the dimensions of the R1S interior with the seats flat? can we fit an inflatable double back there for car camping?

Wife factor says R1S; she was a hard pass on cybertruck, even though I have a ticket for one those too.

I'm on fence, but want to prepare for the pre-order launch next week.

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The Rivian website says the R1S has 108 cubic feet of storage while the R1T has 68 cubic feet. Presumably in both cases, this is covered or enclosed storage. The big difference is you can carry stuff in the pickup bed that wouldn't fit in the SUV and the pickup has the gear tunnel.

To estimate the RIS' storage area with seats folded, wouldn't you just substract the frunk space?

At the Mill Valley/SF event, RJ said the third row seat in the R1S would be comfortable, even for tall folks. He says he's something like 6' 1" or was it 6' 2" and he's comfortable back there. (That interview was reposted in one of this morning's other threads.)

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
I originally ordered the R1S, but the R1T looks like it's oozing with awesome storage. While the R1S would probably be better for my 3 kids, I'm not sure how comfortable that 3rd row would be anyway. Looks like R1S has up to 108 cubic feet of storage, wonder what the R1T has. I'm also worried that the R1S doesn't have the cool accessories that the R1T has.

Anyone know the dimensions of the R1S interior with the seats flat? can we fit an inflatable double back there for car camping?

Wife factor says R1S; she was a hard pass on cybertruck, even though I have a ticket for one those too.

I'm on fence, but want to prepare for the pre-order launch next week.
This. I was disappointed to not see a single photo with all the rear seats folded, and also measuring the minimum cargo floor to ceiling height, to give an idea how flat the cargo area is when treating it like a 2 seat hauler or considering the possibility of sleeping in a climate controlled cabin. Hopefully the configurator shows that next week. It would be nice if someone from the company could be a forum/order liaison and take questions from the forum and show photos/videos answering them on the production test mules.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This. I was disappointed to not see a single photo with all the rear seats folded, and also measuring the minimum cargo floor to ceiling height, to give an idea how flat the cargo area is when treating it like a 2 seat hauler or considering the possibility of sleeping in a climate controlled cabin. Hopefully the configurator shows that next week. It would be nice if someone from the company could be a forum/order liaison and take questions from the forum and show photos/videos answering them on the production test mules.
I was told that the configurator will show how the seats fold flat. Only a few more days to wait!

Sponsored

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I was all in on the R1S, but the R1T seems to be the more engineered product at this point, unless they release more info for the holidays (which I hope they do). an extra 16in of length, the gear tunnel, the auto covering bed, etc. all point to more utility, three kids be damned. I wish they made the SUV the same length - then it'd be more Suburban-like behind the 3rd row - giving it the ability to store stuff and a family, and even the ole plywood sheet every now and again.

Wish we could get our hands on these soon so I can make up my mind and forget about it!

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
Well here we are, a month away, and I still haven't made up my mind... I'm really leaning towards the T, but WAF still is pointing to no. Who else flip flopped? What was the deciding factor?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Well here we are, a month away, and I still haven't made up my mind... I'm really leaning towards the T, but WAF still is pointing to no. Who else flip flopped? What was the deciding factor?
Just read 18 months worth of posts in this thread @cwinters @Coast2Coast can't believe nobody mentioned this but you you should flip a coin; Heads- R1T, Tails- R1S if you are excitied with the result stick with it if you are disappointed go with the other, or by both...Problem solved.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)