Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Driving a 2020 X Performance. This, may be the best highway car, with incredible front window for scenic views, smooth and quiet ride, 2.7 second 0 to 60 acceleration, air suspension with 5 height adjustments, FSD that improves steadily, and my favorite feature of all, regenerative braking that makes mountain driving effortless.

The X is one great vehicle, however, it is not designed for challenging off-road or deep-winter conditions, nor for dirt and sand inside and outside the car. For an SUV to do it all in 4 seasons, with ruts and pot holes, heat and cold (100+ to -40), asphalt, concrete, gravel, mud, and heavy snow; and excelling in safety and in comfort; with most of the advantages of a Tesla; to conclude, to be so versatile there is seemingly only one option available, the R1S. To own an EV that drives anytime, anywhere – there is Rivian, momentarily.

I talked briefly with RJ and looked close up at the R1T and R1S, however, driving an R1S LE daily in the most snow of Wyoming, an hour north of Jackson, in the dead of winter, should be a sufficient test before spring mud arrives and summer trips commence off-road. Cheers!

Last edited:

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

When I was a kid in my teens I thought the Mercedes 300SL was the coolest thing I had ever seen. When I was a kid in my 70's I thought the Tesla Model X was the coolest thing I had ever seen so I bought one and later another and never regretted it. But what has any of that to do with the R1S? Orthogonal.
You taught me a new term, “orthogonal’, meaning at right angle. Well done! Thanks, and I agree.

acacia1602

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Honda Odyssey, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software Engineer
100% Agree. The overlap in target audience is huge. Especially considering they are the only large all electric SUV's. While Rivian is positioning their brand as "off road / adventure friendly" that doesn't stop others from buying the car. A very sizable percentage of Land Rovers and Jeep Grand Cherokee's never touch anything rougher than a strip mall's pavement.
Like ours. We our drive our Jeep Grand Cherokee it to trail heads for hiking and MTB sometimes and for skiing as well, but my Tesla Model Y works perfectly for these too.
I just can’t convince my wife to get into a smaller crossover. Small lady requires big car, apparently. She hated the Gullwing doors on the X and it wasn’t big enough for her. So I’m a Rivian R1S reservation holder, hoping she’ll be good with this.

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
Again, I cannot speak to the parking garages you frequent where you live.
Mine has been in many parking garages and the only time we've had a problem is when we had to park close enough to a wall that *no* style of door could possibly open.
It is very common, at least on the east coast, for parking garages to have low clearance. I have been in parking garages where the clearance between the roof of my Dodge Ram and the garage ceiling is far under 6 inches. The idea that the Model X would be useable in these garages is ridiculous. The doors may be able to open 1/4 of the way. You'd be skulking under them on all fours to get in and out of the vehicle.

In my home the garage roof is also 9', but I use it for storage, so the effective height in most of the garage is only about 6.5'. From what I have measured the Model X is just totally incompatible.. meanwhile a much larger full size truck works fine.. because it has traditional doors.
The take that Model X are fundamentally incompatible with any type of garage is provably false and is a bizarre belief to me; Since mine is in-and-out of garages all the time.
That is not what I said at all. I said it is incompatible with many of them. And frankly... any number > 0 is too many for me, I don't want to be driving around the city trying to find parking garages to fit my vehicle (can you even filter garages by height in mapping apps??? I don't think so...), it is hard enough to find parking spots as it is in the city.

Sponsored

cusetownusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
interesting discussion. I have a model Y on order to replace my 10 your old Grand Cherokee and the plan would be to eventually replace my wife's 2021 Telluride with a similar size EV if we end up really liking the Model Y.

Up until the R1S the only option was obviously the Model X. However, it is very expensive which is why we bought the Telluride. Figured we would drive that until we could either afford the Model X, it came down in price, or another more affordable option became available.

Well, with the R1S coming out it has me thinking this could be the Telluride replacement. As much I like Tesla the company (and hopefully my Model Y, little nervous about that), the R1S might work better for us. Of course, there are still plenty of unknowns about the R1S until they start mass producing them...but I am hopeful it will be a great EV. Would be great if by the time we would be in the market for one that the Tesla Supercharger network would be open to Non-Teslas as this is a big selling point of a Tesla.

Richbot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
It is very common, at least on the east coast, for parking garages to have low clearance. I have been in parking garages where the clearance between the roof of my Dodge Ram and the garage ceiling is far under 6 inches. The idea that the Model X would be useable in these garages is ridiculous. The doors may be able to open 1/4 of the way. You'd be skulking under them on all fours to get in and out of the vehicle.

In my home the garage roof is also 9', but I use it for storage, so the effective height in most of the garage is only about 6.5'. From what I have measured the Model X is just totally incompatible.. meanwhile a much larger full size truck works fine.. because it has traditional doors.

That is not what I said at all. I said it is incompatible with many of them. And frankly... any number > 0 is too many for me, I don't want to be driving around the city trying to find parking garages to fit my vehicle (can you even filter garages by height in mapping apps??? I don't think so...), it is hard enough to find parking spots as it is in the city.
I have been in a lot of low-clearance (like, 72" clearance or less) garage situations where there's a beam or piping overhead or even solid garage deck above with model X. The doors work fine in those situations, you just have to use a different opening shape. Basically, the side segment of the door just pops out from the side and lifts up a couple inches, instead of doing the fully open gullwing, which gives you about a foot of room to slide in. I'm 5'11 and don't even have to duck in these situations, but you do have to slide sideways sometime. Eh. If you're dumb enough to want an X, it's a compromise you're probably annoyed by, but it's not going to stop you from using the back seats or anything like that. I have a Tundra too so I'm very familiar with a full-size pickup's compromises in tight garages, and I can safely say we've done a ton more gymnastics getting into the back seat of the Tundra on road trips than we've ever had to do in the model X. The little ball on top of my antenna has a flat spot from rubbing on ceilings...

The more annoying thing to me is the power liftgate is also super conservative in low clearance situations because it also has ultrasonics on it, and you have to push it up manually if there is concrete above it in particular, as it is very conservative.

Last edited:

acacia1602

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Honda Odyssey, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software Engineer
interesting discussion. I have a model Y on order to replace my 10 your old Grand Cherokee and the plan would be to eventually replace my wife's 2021 Telluride with a similar size EV if we end up really liking the Model Y.

Up until the R1S the only option was obviously the Model X. However, it is very expensive which is why we bought the Telluride. Figured we would drive that until we could either afford the Model X, it came down in price, or another more affordable option became available.

Well, with the R1S coming out it has me thinking this could be the Telluride replacement. As much I like Tesla the company (and hopefully my Model Y, little nervous about that), the R1S might work better for us. Of course, there are still plenty of unknowns about the R1S until they start mass producing them...but I am hopeful it will be a great EV. Would be great if by the time we would be in the market for one that the Tesla Supercharger network would be open to Non-Teslas as this is a big selling point of a Tesla.
I have a 7 seat model Y because it was either that or a Honda Pilot/Kia Telluride; my wife drives a Grand Cherokee. I ordered an R1S in hopes that she will take a liking to it as a replacement fir the Grand Cherokee.

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances

You will love the Y. My wife has a Y and I sold my Cayenne Turbo after we got it since I wasn't using it anymore... I have a 4x4 Sprinter for when I need more space which I would like to replace by the R1T if we can get one before we leave this planet ! I ordered a Model X Plaid in the meantime to replace the Sprinter and would sell the Y if we get the R1T one day.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

You will love the Y. My wife has a Y and I sold my Cayenne Turbo after we got it since I wasn't using it anymore... I have a 4x4 Sprinter for when I need more space which I would like to replace by the R1T if we can get one before we leave this planet ! I ordered a Model X Plaid in the meantime to replace the Sprinter and would sell the Y if we get the R1T one day.
All quality vehicles. Someday soon the diesel Sprinter will be replaced by an EV version. The Plaid and the R1T make a great combo. Cheers.
Sponsored