Sponsored

R1S ride comments - is this SW fixable or a fundamental issue that needs HW changes?

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
I keep seeing comments about ride issues with R1S and how Rivian needs to "tune" it further. Comments seem to indicate that the shorter wheel base is the reason. However, what I am really curious about is what it means to "tune" the suspension to remove the kinks. I would expect that that requires HW fixes and cannot simply be fixed through SW (yes, they can tweak the damping and air struts a bit but is that all that is needed?). Those who understand this better - please enlighten us.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

2022.47 has some patch notes that say Rivian has changed some of the driving characteristics. We'll all have to wait and see what that means.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Nobody here has the information necessary to say with any certainty the extent to which this can be tuned out via software updates but I suspect there is considerable room for improvement with regard to tuning the damping.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
The board has speculated that both compression and rebound suspension tuning may be executed via OTA given the rather sophisticated onboard air compressor, valves, and lines. Simply described, suspension can be adjusted with spring rate (in our case air pressure), and speed (in our case oil lines and valves). Even if a full OTA is not achievable, tuning the S should be possible without too much hardware change and may just involve either changing out or simply adjusting a valve in the suspension lines, or perhaps oil viscosity, not really sure.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
So I got the 2022.47.0 update last night and I can confirm that the ride is much improved on my R1S. No more weird dynamics on the freeway.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It's amazing on my R1T. The improvement is better than anything I would have thought possible, in all terrain soft, on midwest crappy roads.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
This latest update improves the ride so much, I compare it with the aftermarket DSC Sport module I installed on my 911 Turbo S to improve ride and handling. The difference is it involved the installation of a module and tweaking the maps, and not a simple software update! I'm sold on EV and RIVIAN, and the number one reason is the responsive OTA updates!!
Sponsored