Sponsored

R1S new delivery...GPS not Normal...WIFI either. Is it just me?

mvbasten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Geek
I took delivery of my R1S (Quad) on Feb 27th in Minneapolis on the Tuesday morning following layoffs. My 'guide' was one of the layoffs the previous Thursday, so the days leading up to delivery I was texting a black hole (similar to my experience before he was laid off, TBH...he sucked). When my wife and I showed up for delivery, their schedule clearly said we were coming, but they were obviously scrambling. They rallied, for the most part got their sh*t together, and did their best to kick-save the experience. My excitement finally getting the vehicle successfully overrode my conscience yelling "seriously, this is how they deliver a $100k vehicle?" Post delivery feedback has been provided via survey.

One lingering thing however that has me worried. The vehicle still thinks it's at the factory in Normal, IL. My vehicle still does not have (and never has had, to my knowledge) working GPS or WIFI....and based on what I was told at the dealership, I'm a little surprised that I've seen nothing in this forum. During delivery, the rep explained "we have a known issue with GPS and our developers are working a fix right now, which should be pushed out with the next OTA update....should be 2-3 wks". It was my choice to take delivery or not, of course...and credit to the dealership, because I was "so understanding" they offered to refund my accessories (crossbars + floormats). Still waiting to see the refund.

I've already scheduled the earliest service appointment I could get (March 22nd) to get a real human being back on the case...but my question here is simple:

With respect to a "known GPS issue right now on new vehicle deliveries" - am I the only one? Misery loves company, so even a simple "me too" will ease my conscience and help me pass the time between now and the service appt.

PS - WIFI won't connect either, despite being me being a computer engineer and trying ALL the things (reset software, reset vehicle, drop 5G, reboot router, try connecting to someone else's WIFI, etc). Hence my impatience, scheduling a service call and not waiting for an OTA to resolve.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

First I have heard about this issue. My truck has been working fine.

Service will take care of it, Its unfortunate that someone gave you questionable information unless the issue is very specific to your vehicle. Sorry for the bumpy start with your delivery experience, layoffs are tough at a company. Two years on for me and it's been up and down but they have been improving.

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
I had a similar problem with another car company. The problem ended up being the antenna was not plugged up. Just a thought, good luck.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
PS - WIFI won't connect either, despite being me being a computer engineer and trying ALL the things (reset software, reset vehicle, drop 5G, reboot router, try connecting to someone else's WIFI, etc). Hence my impatience, scheduling a service call and not waiting for an OTA to resolve.
Here's a silly question for you: Do any of the infotainment apps work? Spotify, Tidal? If the answer is "no" AND you can't connect to your home WiFi then chances are good that you won't get any OTA updates. I'm glad you have that SC appointment either way.

The other thought that I had when reading this is "if you had CarPlay then a non-functioning GPS wouldn't be a big deal because it would use the GPS on your phone in the interim." Since you're relatively new to the forum, you may not be aware of the EV Sportline Screen that gives you CarPlay/AA for your R1S. It may be something to consider given that it's a month until your service center appointment - especially if you have a long trip planned.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mvbasten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Geek
Here's a silly question for you: Do any of the infotainment apps work? Spotify, Tidal? If the answer is "no" AND you can't connect to your home WiFi then chances are good that you won't get any OTA updates. I'm glad you have that SC appointment either way.

The other thought that I had when reading this is "if you had CarPlay then a non-functioning GPS wouldn't be a big deal because it would use the GPS on your phone in the interim." Since you're relatively new to the forum, you may not be aware of the EV Sportline Screen that gives you CarPlay/AA for your R1S. It may be something to consider given that it's a month until your service center appointment - especially if you have a long trip planned.
Great questions! Spotify is actively working, which left me wondering: is it using the signal from my phone, or is the LTE network working? Given the fact that I have successfully been able to control the climate from more than 100 feet away from the vehicle, I believe this validates the LTE connection.

Regarding CarPlay....not an option. I'm an Android dude.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Good - That means that, although it may take some time, you should still be able to get the next OTA update.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Great questions! Spotify is actively working, which left me wondering: is it using the signal from my phone, or is the LTE network working? Given the fact that I have successfully been able to control the climate from more than 100 feet away from the vehicle, I believe this validates the LTE connection.
The GPS not working isn't normal behavior. The in-car data stuff cannot use your phone for data either, so if it works it means cellular is working.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Regarding CarPlay....not an option. I'm an Android dude.
I believe that device he mentioned would work with Android Auto too.

If you have Spotify then you have LTE.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Happened to me at delivery, car couldn't find the satellites. Hard reset during delivery and a ten minute wait while guide went over other features and it found itself fine.

Green Machine

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Retired
OP you are not alone on this. Similar issue when I picked up my R1S four days ago at West Sacramento SC. (1) GPS had me at the Normal, IL plant (2) wifi wouldn’t work (3) couldn’t schedule charging because that also requires GPS location to show your next to your charging device. I was able to get wifi working via soft reset but it would hang up every time I left the Wi-Fi signal area and required a soft reboot each time I returned to the signal area.

Fixed via the Beta download of 2024.07.02 that was pushed to my car yesterday. Good experience with Rivian service overall especially the West Sacramento team who were great to work with (Brandon and Matt). Consistently in communication with me until this was sorted.

OP
OP

mvbasten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Geek
Thank you. I knew that if I found even one person with the same issues I would feel better. Pretty sure I just experienced a tiny stress cloud leave my body while reading your reply. Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

OP
OP

mvbasten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Geek

My apologies for not fully reading/comprehending the EV SS.....i saw CarPlay and clearly stopped reading. And here's more insight to my 'newness'......it occurs to me that a product like this needing to exist presumes that CarPlay or AA will never be available on Rivian native screen, even though it seems like an easy/strategic future add to the software. Is this somehow a known thing that Rivian won't/can't go down this path, or is this hardware designed for those who simply want/need it now? It seems very....extra....to add another screen above your screen? What am I missing?
Sponsored