Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
Greetings,

As we get closer to actually getting our hands on the R1S I think many of us are debating which model to ultimately purchase. I currently have a launch edition configured but lately have been considering the explore package based on my own value estimation. Please help add other features to compare WRT value. Hopefully this will help me/us make good informed decisions.

The main issues I am considering are:

1. Paint...unless you go with the launch edition green there is no added value with the LE
2. Wheels. If you go with the 21's, there doesn't appear to be any added value with the LE

Thus the main benefits of LE and Adventure packages:
Nicer styling
Better audio
Better cabin seats

Intangibles:

Better resale value for the LE?
Personel preference
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Greetings,

As we get closer to actually getting our hands on the R1S I think many of us are debating which model to ultimately purchase. I currently have a launch edition configured but lately have been considering the explore package based on my own value estimation. Please help add other features to compare WRT value. Hopefully this will help me/us make good informed decisions.

The main issues I am considering are:

1. Paint...unless you go with the launch edition green there is no added value with the LE
2. Wheels. If you go with the 21's, there doesn't appear to be any added value with the LE

Thus the main benefits of LE and Adventure packages:
Nicer styling
Better audio
Better cabin seats

Intangibles:

Better resale value for the LE?
Personel preference
For me the biggest reason for Adventure is the ventilated seats. After that, the upgraded sound system and wood trim are nice to have but may not have moved the needle enough without the ventilation.

In terms of value for the ventilated seats, being in SC that's a huge value added both for comfort and for longevity of the seats. Depending on where you live that may or may not move the needle.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

When do you want it? LE is 2022, explorer is 2023.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

IMO the interior styling of the LE/Adventure isnā€™t that significant to the Explore. Different stitching and headliner color, but the same materials. Some folks really like the wood dash, but as a woodworker Iā€™m not keen on the selected woods nor their quality. The woods donā€™t have a tight grain structure and Iā€™m not a fan of ash.

Adventure has ventilated front seats and heated rears, which is the most appealing thing to me. Depending on locale and potential rear seat occupants, these may not be very important.

LE may someday carry a slight resale premium over adventure, but if Rivian is found to have early quality concerns the LE may be regarded as an easy disqualifier. Pretty much every car model ever made has noticeable improvements in the 3rd model year and newer. Most enthusiasts I know for various cars focus on variants from 4th model year or later to avoid failures common to early iterations.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Stay with the LE, youā€™ll get it sooner. Much sooner.

Sponsored

AMoney

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Acadia
Occupation
N/A
For me the biggest reason for Adventure is the ventilated seats. After that, the upgraded sound system and wood trim are nice to have but may not have moved the needle enough without the ventilation.

In terms of value for the ventilated seats, being in SC that's a huge value added both for comfort and for longevity of the seats. Depending on where you live that may or may not move the needle.
Amen! Iā€™m in NC and the ventilated seats are a must!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This. If you have an LE and want to go to the explore trim, that's a year delay.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I ordered an Explore, the delay could be down to just six months. Lots of LE R1S models are Q3 and I ordered late (October 2021) and have a first half 2023. So early 2023 deliveries will be made.

I donā€™t think the Adventure is worth $6000 (after tax included) more than the Explore. Sure the ventilated seats would be nice (but not essential) and the upgraded stereo but noway is it all worth $6000. The basic functionality and looks are the same between adventure and explore. To each their own.

Reactions: Max

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I am a max pack and a late reservation so I am waiting anyways. I also don't think the adventure pack is worth is. Nothing really included with it that I need or want. Maybe if they included the all terrain tires and spare I would be more interested in it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I donā€™t think the Adventure is worth $6000 (after tax included) more than the Explore.
Totally agree. I think Rivian missed on the value proposition for the Adventure trim with the R1S. I see it for the T. So my R1T is configured with an adventure trim, and my R1S an Explore trim.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
As @Forager1 mentioned that may not necessary be a plus depending on what issues are discovered in 1st year.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
As @Forager1 mentioned that may not necessary be a plus depending on what issues are discovered in 1st year.
Consider that OP is in Canada, smack in the middle. This means later delivery than anyone in the US with an LE.

Reactions: Max

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
I ordered an Explore, the delay could be down to just six months. Lots of LE R1S models are Q3 and I ordered late (October 2021) and have a first half 2023. So early 2023 deliveries will be made.

I donā€™t think the Adventure is worth $6000 (after tax included) more than the Explore. Sure the ventilated seats would be nice (but not essential) and the upgraded stereo but noway is it all worth $6000. The basic functionality and looks are the same between adventure and explore. To each their own.
I agree that $6K for an upgraded audio system and cosmetic changes is a lot. I am quite surprised that Rivian did not differentiate these two trims a bit more. That said, I am highly skeptical that Rivian can stick to the dates that they have been sending out (LE, July-Sept for me which I fully expect to slip to hopefully no later than Q4). I can easily see them prioritizing adventure builds and getting more out there at the expense of the lower margin explorer trims. Rivian is a public company now, so hard to fault them if they do end up going this route.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Funny, I placed a 2nd Rivian order (deposit) yesterday for a R1S Explore, 7-seater for the very reason it seemed the best "value" configuration. I understand I won't see it until late 2023 or perhaps 2024. That's okay because I have a L.E. R1T in the May-June window this year.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

I have a Sept. '21 order for an Adventure R1S, with a 1H23 delivery window. I am waiting to hear about the higher range "max" pack for the R1S. I imagine they may not get up to the 400 miles on the R1T max pack, and so perhaps it won't cost $10k to get more range on the S. I'd rather get an Explore trim with stock wheels and color, and spend the money on range.

All that said,I am most interested in the finer finishes and upgraded audio of the Adventure trim, but I also think I could more than live with Explore.

We'll see what the next 12 months brings in terms of an R1S "max" pack, changes to the 2023 model year vehicles, and delivery delays.
Sponsored