Sponsored

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For pre-March preorder holders it’s only a $6k option, bringing total configuration price for my R1S to 83,950. I am definitely glad I waited. Large pack would be fine and I would have been happy with it, but it’s worth it for me.
Still quite a bit more than a pre-price-hike Quad Large with the extra drive modes and warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Does not matter.

Regardless of what new difference there is and how much that costs Rivian, it’s still a ridiculous $10,000 for just 48 more miles. And, that’s when it’s charged to 100%. How many times do you charge to 100% to see that difference?
$10k isn’t a lot of money for me (about three days worth of pay). And for me, it’s worth the range anxiety avoidance I’ve had on off-roading trips. 48 miles is a big difference between “oh shit… maybe I shouldn’t go” and “I’ll be fine”.

Again, to each their own what is worth what.

SMG

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS 300
Occupation
Tech
Still quite a bit more than a pre-price-hike Quad Large with the extra drive modes and warranty.
Can you share more on the warranty difference? I wasn't aware of that...

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Can you share more on the warranty difference? I wasn't aware of that...
Dual motor has one year less warranty than quad. But no one knows what the practical difference in warranties are

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
$10k isn’t a lot of money for me (about three days worth of pay). And for me, it’s worth the range anxiety avoidance I’ve had on off-roading trips. 48 miles is a big difference between “oh shit… maybe I shouldn’t go” and “I’ll be fine”.

Again, to each their own what is worth what.
So, you make well over a million a year.
Ok, cool.

Sponsored

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
Is it worth the price? To each his own, I'm actually happy that Rivian offers this; keeps them relevant and competitive.
Exactly. Not everyone's use case is the same. While I probably wouldn't pay the extra money, I live in a charging desert. Most frequent road trip is 120 miles each way. No problem in the summer, but winter is another matter. Same when driving home into the prevailing west wind in the flatest state in the country (Illinois). The additional range would be nice to have.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Most people probably don't charge much above 80% on a road trip, due to the charge curve, so what does that work out to, 39 miles if leaving your house at 100% and an additional 30 miles each time you stop?
There are a couple of places where I'd be able to skip a charger instead of having to charge deep into the pack to do the same thing. That's where the time savings will be. We were able to do a 220 mile trip in our R1S with a spare on the back, bikes, and the rooftop tent, but we had to drive slower than I usually would and got home in the low single digit % left. The max pack would have meant not needing to slow down at all, and saving probably 20-30 minutes.

Some people pay a stupid amount of money for a business class ticket on an airline for the better experience that doesn't save them any time, I understand why there would be folks to do the same thing with their vehicles.

Chinna

First Name
Naren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, MACH-E4X
Occupation
Software developer
EPA 40 miles extra , real world highway may be 30 miles extra, towing 20 miles extra compare to large pack.

10 k is not worth may be 4k

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

For pre-March preorder holders it’s only a $6k option, bringing total configuration price for my R1S to 83,950. I am definitely glad I waited. Large pack would be fine and I would have been happy with it, but it’s worth it for me.
Are you sure you get pre price hinge pricing for max pack on R1S? I heard rivian was being goofy about that because they never actually offered max pack on R1S originally.

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
As a Model Y *AND* an R1T owner, I can say that the added max pack miles will become moot once the adapter (and or dual SC) rolls out that allows R's to use the Tesla SC system. Traveling in the MY is mind-numbingly easy compared to the EA anxiety in the CCS world.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
As a Model Y *AND* an R1T owner, I can say that the added max pack miles will become moot once the adapter (and or dual SC) rolls out that allows R's to use the Tesla SC system. Traveling in the MY is mind-numbingly easy compared to the EA anxiety in the CCS world.
Disagree. Have gone on a few off-roading trips and trips into the Sierra Nevadas where superchargers don’t exist. And range anxiety is real.

Again, I fully acknowledge that max pack isn’t for everyone (both for extra range or cost), but it has its purpose that cannot be addressed by existing charging infrastructure

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Why’s it weird? It gives context that $10k isn’t a lot of money to me
The fact you don't think it's weird kinda says it all. A more mature way to state it would be, "personally, I don't mind the cost as the benefit is worth it to me" or "I'm fortunate my financial situation allows me to consider that as an option".
Sponsored