R1S Deliveries?

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I'm almost positive I saw someone say they "got the call" this week that they're getting their R1S in the "4-6 weeks" timeframe.

FWIW I ordered a R1S in Feb 2019...switched to R1T a year back and got a May/June window around Thanksgiving...switched back to R1S in December and was told by CS that I would get an updated window (that didn't happen) and then RJ had the email saying we'd get windows on the configurator early 2022 (that hasn't happened yet).

I truly expect the ramp up for R1S to be much quicker than for the R1T but I haven't a clue when I'll be getting mine.
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I'm almost positive I saw someone say they "got the call" this week that they're getting their R1S in the "4-6 weeks" timeframe.
Definitely someone on the forum who said that, can't remember their user name. But, I also recall there might have been some confusion around that timing as well

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The lack of buzz around R1S (journalist first drives, appearances at hubs, first mile drives etc) seems to point to perhaps a protracted delay. I am hoping @Taycanfrank gets his in the allotted window to give us July-Sept holders some hope :)
In the fall, Rivian needed the positive reviews and buzz around the R1T to drive awareness and excitement to help make the IPO a success. Now the stock price doesn't really directly impact them and won't until they need to take on more debt (hopefully at least a year from now) and they don't need to drive preorders either as they will be catching up through 2024 as of today. Media blitz was really important in September 2021. Not so much in March 2022.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
It's also true that the R1S is really just the SUV version of the R1T. Yes, the size is a bit different and it might handle slightly better but there's nothing else different about it.

The R1T has the gear tunnel, tonneau cover, step up platform, etc.. The R1S has none of that. So giving a bunch to journalists would almost be counter productive, as it has less talking points.

I think it's the more well rounded vehicle but videos/articles love, love, love the quirky features and the R1S just has less. Might be a very calculated decision to just get it to customers and let reviews happen as they will.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It's also true that the R1S is really just the SUV version of the R1T. Yes, the size is a bit different and it might handle slightly better but there's nothing else different about it.

The R1T has the gear tunnel, tonneau cover, step up platform, etc.. The R1S has none of that. So giving a bunch to journalists would almost be counter productive, as it has less talking points.

I think it's the more well rounded vehicle but videos/articles love, love, love the quirky features and the R1S just has less. Might be a very calculated decision to just get it to customers and let reviews happen as they will.
Yes the things that drive people to place a preorder have been addressed with the R1T reviews (driving mechanics etc). The smaller details that haven't been covered (liftgate, tailgate, third row, etc) are things that matter to people who already preordered one but not so much to the general public.

I don't know that anybody is sitting around waiting to put their $1,000 down until they see what the 3rd row looks like.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I don't know that anybody is sitting around waiting to put their $1,000 down until they see what the 3rd row looks like.
Maybe not, but there are lot of folks on here that seem obsessed with the way the 3rd row seat works.

I don't think they need a dozen youtube videos from TFL, Munro, Jerry Rig (whatever his name is), etc - but it would be nice to see a walkthrough and demo. My guess (completely baseless mind you) is that we'll see more next week after earnings - the R1S will be their "bright spot".

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Maybe not, but there are lot of folks on here that seem obsessed with the way the 3rd row seat works.

I don't think they need a dozen youtube videos from TFL, Munro, Jerry Rig (whatever his name is), etc - but it would be nice to see a walkthrough and demo. My guess (completely baseless mind you) is that we'll see more next week after earnings - the R1S will be their "bright spot".
Absolutely, but I can understand why that's not an urgent thing for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this forum gets an in depth look at the S from a member who gets delivery before Rivian puts anything official out.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Absolutely, but I can understand why that's not an urgent thing for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this forum gets an in depth look at the S from a member who gets delivery before Rivian puts anything official out.
I'd be shocked if that's how we get the first real information on the S. Shocked, but maybe not surprised if that makes sense.

Surfnturf

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tunda, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Self Employed
I just want a delivery window, I swapped over to an LE R1S after the delivery windows were sent last November. I was May-June for the R1T so I expect I'll be July-Sept with the R1S. When they sent the price hike info the system was aware of the switch, but when i asked CS a few weeks back the delivery system still had me as May-June for an R1T.

August 2020 order date for what it's worth.
I did the same. I was an R1T rez since Dec 2018. When they gave delivery windows the end of last year I was in April-May 2022 window. I just changed my configuration to a R1S in January when I decided the truck was going to be to small for me. I was told that my delivery window would be the same. LE R1S GW/BM with 22" dark wheels. I would expect that within the next month I should hear from them about locking in the configuration. If not I would assume they are delayed. Have not had any guide contact up to this point at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The R1S is a perfect example of how Rivian is dropping the ball on comms.
I’d love an owner’s manual PDF with R1S info added. Also nice to have: comprehensive dimensions, including legroom range for the second row if it moves forward/aft. I don’t need anything formal or fancy. Just post on the Rivian.com site and send an email to us that says something about more information and a link.

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Hopeful the R1T delays were driving by the tonneau cover and Covid Labor shortages and the R1S roll-out is comparatively smoother.. I’m April/May myself but have been skeptical of that being reality.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

I agree with you, but at the same time these content creators will grasp at anything - they make multiple reviews (initial impressions, full review, drive review, long-term review) for multiple trims of the same vehicle, whether it's a pickup or a sedan or an SUV. They'll gobble up the R1S if they get their hands on it. That being said, I do hope Rivian prioritizes customer deliveries as well ahead of all else, save for strictly necessary employee beta testing.

AMoney

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Acadia
Occupation
N/A
I thought I read that R1S deliveries were to begin in June. Is that incorrect? I’m an August 2020 preorder with an Oct - Dec 2022 delivery window so I hope they start delivering in March - April. Will hopefully mean I get mine before Dec.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I’d love an owner’s manual PDF with R1S info added. Also nice to have: comprehensive dimensions, including legroom range for the second row if it moves forward/aft. I don’t need anything formal or fancy. Just post on the Rivian.com site and send an email to us that says something about more information and a link.
At this point just putting one at the Venice Hub would provide a ton of information. I'm sure some of the YT crowd would be there same day or next day to Livestream a preview of it and answer questions etc.
Sponsored