Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Just curious,

I’ve had a deposit on an R1S for a little over a month now and I was just reading their “performance” details page that discusses the various wheel/ tire options. I selected the default road tires with the 21” wheel because I’m most interested in range. The description of the wheel mentions clip-in aero covers (see attached) for reduced drag. Are those installed in the picture of the wheel, or is this some separate accessory I attach for long road trips? The 21” wheel definitely has a more enclosed look with the brake caliper almost hidden. Just curious if that’s with the cover installed or not. Thanks

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Default 21” Road Tires, Aero Cover 85B9E555-6111-42EC-84FE-E81B0CB13D5C
Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Just curious,

I’ve had a deposit on an R1S for a little over a month now and I was just reading their “performance” details page that discusses the various wheel/ tire options. I selected the default road tires with the 21” wheel because I’m most interested in range. The description of the wheel mentions clip-in aero covers (see attached) for reduced drag. Are those installed in the picture of the wheel, or is this some separate accessory I attach for long road trips? The 21” wheel definitely has a more enclosed look with the brake caliper almost hidden. Just curious if that’s with the cover installed or not. Thanks

85B9E555-6111-42EC-84FE-E81B0CB13D5C.jpeg
That picture includes the covers. They are the black pieces between the silver spokes.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The 21’s look so much better without the aero covers. I wonder what the impact to range is without them?

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Might want to be careful about the 21s. Pirelli custom made these just for Rivian and they are the only ones who make these tires (275/55 R21) right now,
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season | 275/55R21 (tirerack.com)

No one other than Rivian will carry these tires during the early stages, and inventory by other manufacturers will depend on Rivian's popularity and or demand.

So if you run into an issue where a tire requires replacement, you might be at the mercy of inventory.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Looks better with them off, but needs a new center cap replacement.

OP
OP
BossHog2k2

BossHog2k2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Might want to be careful about the 21s. Pirelli custom made these just for Rivian and they are the only ones who make these tires (275/55 R21) right now,

No one other than Rivian will carry these tires during the early stages, and inventory by other manufacturers will depend on Rivian's popularity and or demand.

So if you run into an issue where a tire requires replacement, you might be at the mercy of inventory.
Good point. However, I won’t see my R1S until Fall 2023 I’m guessing. Maybe they’ll have some aftermarket options by then? Finger crossed, as I want that max range (without the heavier, currently unavailable max pack)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

The 21" road tires (275/55R21) are obviously custom for Rivian, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the exact same size available; however, there are several tire options in a similar size -- for example 275/50R21. These would have a slightly lower outer diameter at 31.8" vs 32.9" for the stock tires. In a pinch, it should work.

The 20" ATs are custom for Rivian, as well. There are other tires in the same size, but they're not EV-specific, let alone Rivian specific. It's likely that the ATs Rivian and Pirelli developed will have less of a range loss than other ATs in the same size. So choosing a different tire will have additional trade offs from the already 10-15% loss in range.

Ultimately, both wheel sizes will have a limited market for replacement tires, unless you're okay going outside of Rivian/EV-specific options. I'm currently configured for the 20" ATs, so don't think I'm trying to shill for the 21" wheels... But consider that they're at least $1,800 less expensive (for non-LE reservation holders) and the spare is also $200 less expensive. That savings may be worth it, to some, and I can't fault anyone for making that value determination for themselves.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
The 21" road tires (275/55R21) are obviously custom for Rivian, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the exact same size available; however, there are several tire options in a similar size -- for example 275/50R21. These would have a slightly lower outer diameter at 31.8" vs 32.9" for the stock tires. In a pinch, it should work.

The 20" ATs are custom for Rivian, as well. There are other tires in the same size, but they're not EV-specific, let alone Rivian specific. It's likely that the ATs Rivian and Pirelli developed will have less of a range loss than other ATs in the same size. So choosing a different tire will have additional trade offs from the already 10-15% loss in range.

Ultimately, both wheel sizes will have a limited market for replacement tires, unless you're okay going outside of Rivian/EV-specific options. I'm currently configured for the 20" ATs, so don't think I'm trying to shill for the 21" wheels... But consider that they're at least $1,800 less expensive (for non-LE reservation holders) and the spare is also $200 less expensive. That savings may be worth it, to some, and I can't fault anyone for making that value determination for themselves.
The problem I was referring to and what caused me to stay away from the 21s, is not that there aren't tire sizes that would fit the wheels, but if a single tire must be replaced due to some road hazard, then you have to buy the exact tire and that could be limited. And if you cannot source the same tire or they are very scarce, then you might have to replace both tires on that axle and go with a staggered set up or replace all 4 tires.

I mean you can forego all of this and replace the tires immediately after getting the vehicles with a more common size, but then you are losing the free tire option.

This is why I decided to forego the 21s and go with the 22 sport bright.
Also, I like how the 22s looks on the R1S, more than the 21s.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The problem I was referring to and what caused me to stay away from the 21s, is not that there aren't tire sizes that would fit the wheels, but if a single tire must be replaced due to some road hazard, then you have to buy the exact tire and that could be limited. And if you cannot source the same tire or they are very scarce, then you might have to replace both tires on that axle and go with a staggered set up or replace all 4 tires.

I mean you can forego all of this and replace the tires immediately after getting the vehicles with a more common size, but then you are losing the free tire option.

This is why I decided to forego the 21s and go with the 22 sport bright.
Also, I like how the 22s looks on the R1S, more than the 21s.
That specific criticism applies to all three Rivian wheel sizes, however. The 20" AT, 21" road, and 22" road tires are all Rivian-specific models. If you needed to replace one tire (or any amount less than 4) you'd face the same scarcity issue.

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
but if a single tire must be replaced due to some road hazard, then you have to buy the exact tire and that could be limited. And if you cannot source the same tire or they are very scarce, then you might have to replace both tires on that axle and go with a staggered set up or replace all 4 tires.
Wouldn’t this “issue” be somewhat less pressing in the R1Ts, where you have the option to add a full size spare, as opposed to the S’s, where a condensed spare is your only option? I agree that the 21” wheel size is unique and could be an issue in an emergency. However, if you have a full size spare, can then mount the spare, and then have weeks to replace the now-vacant bed-spare, it seems like that is not that “risky.”

Just my two cents.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
That specific criticism applies to all three Rivian wheel sizes, however. The 20" AT, 21" road, and 22" road tires are all Rivian-specific models. If you needed to replace one tire (or any amount less than 4) you'd face the same scarcity issue.
Yeah that is true. But what I am referring to is, the 21 wheel as spec'd by Rivian is a custom size made by Pirelli and so far no one else is making it, and no tire dealer is carrying this spec tire.

On the other hand the 22s are a more widely available tire size, from multiple manufacturers.
Tire Size 275/50R22 | Tire Rack

Right now, Tire-rack has 10 different brands with similar tread pattern for the 22s, while the single Pirelli 21 tire they identify for Rivian (RIV Rivian, Elect). There are 28 AT options for the 20s as well.

So if you have to replace a tire, with the 21s, you are at the mercy of Pirelli and Rivian. And any tire shop will have to special order them from Rivian or Pirelli. Who knows how stock is going to be, if Pirelli is going to be focused on delivering for Rivian right now.

But with the 22s you have options. Yes, if you want similar tread pattern you want to stick with the same Pirellis as what comes spec, but you are not limited by scarcity and one off spec.
Sponsored