First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Corolla
Occupation
Non Profit CEO
What are the chances the R1 refresh will include the R2 upgrades? I.e. two glove boxes, front seats folding flat, sensors etc.

Waiting to pull the trigger on an R1S but waiting for the refresh…
Sponsored

evhelphub

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
VW ID4, R1T (on order); Prev: R1T QM
If you aren't price sensitive, just wait. Worst case you're going to get some really solid upgrades with a higher price. Sounds like at least a more efficient vehicle with a new camera system and heat pump.

If you are budget cautious, someone posted a rumor of something happening for memorial day (no concrete info) this weekend. You'll likely be able to get into an R1S at a very good value that won't be available with the refreshed models.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

No one really knows yet, and Rivian is pretty good about keeping these things under wraps.

Personally I would prepare yourself to be underwhelmed. I would be completely shocked if it included any of the features you asked about.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
What are the chances the R1 refresh will include the R2 upgrades? I.e. two glove boxes, front seats folding flat, sensors etc.

Waiting to pull the trigger on an R1S but waiting for the refresh…
0%.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
No one really knows yet, and Rivian is pretty good about keeping these things under wraps.

Personally I would prepare yourself to be underwhelmed. I would be completely shocked if it included any of the features you asked about.
I agree but if it has the new steering wheel, I might faint.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I'd be willing to wager the update is 95% "cheapen manufacturing" updates that will not include any physical "improvements" from an end-user perspective at all.

If we're lucky, maybe a heat pump instead of resistive heater.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

No one said the refresh was in July, that is the benefit of efficiencies. 2025 is supposed to be a refresh. But will that be January or June or November?

bdwalters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Hardware Engineer
Wait for the refresh. The original models are going to seem a little dated once it comes out in a few weeks. You’re going to get better compute, cameras and sensors, a heat pump, and a handful of other improvements. There is no law that says you can’t cost reduce and improve at the same time.

I don’t expect that you’ll get the fold flat seats, but I think there is a good chance that you’ll get the new steering wheel.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 pre-order, 2021 Mach-E
Wait for the refresh. The original models are going to seem a little dated once it comes out in a few weeks. You’re going to get better compute, cameras and sensors, a heat pump, and a handful of other improvements. There is no law that says you can’t cost reduce and improve at the same time.

I don’t expect that you’ll get the fold flat seats, but I think there is a good chance that you’ll get the new steering wheel.
I am also thinking we may see some things from the R2 included in the updated R1. It makes sense for them to developing on the new platform and testing the equipment on the lower volume models to make sure things are solid for the higher volume R2/R3 release.
With better cameras, higher compute and possibly getting that new steering wheel, it could have me pull the trigger on an updated R1S.
Sponsored

Last edited: