Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There's been a lot of talk about what has improved over the Gen1 R1 vehicles in the refresh. I'm curious to know what people are considering a downgrade in specific things that have been changed.

So far I'm of the opinion that the upcoming Large battery pack capacity is probably the biggest downgrade. Only thing that would change my mind here is if it's verified to be a software locked Max pack, since it would theoretically road trip fairly similarly. The charging curves would be exaggerated, and you save a decent chunk of money over the Max.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I haven't figured this out completely yet....

For the most part I do like the revisions.

My negatives are...

Not a fan of what happened to pricing and packaging. A similar TM to my QM currently prices out at almost $110k. That is alot....considering it isn't even a QM....but it does have a larger battery so not all apples to apples. But I don't really need the bigger battery....

Asthetics of the head lights in my opinion aren't as good as OG.

Smaller frunk sucks.

And not a fan of the performance wheels on the G2 QM. And yet with that performance it would be hard to go AT like I have now. This one is a me problem....

But all that said...still like it and if the need arises, I would happily replace my G1 QM with a G2 QM and possibly entertain a TM.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Not a downgrade, but I'm curious why they did not go ahead and switch to NACS at this point since the writing is on the wall already. Also, I was really hoping for something with 450+ range, but I digress.... I'm still plenty happy with my QM G1 Launch Edition that cost me 70K.

Shaqdeez

First Name
Shaq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mazda CX9
i have 2 main issues w/ the G2.

- The model year change from 2024 to 2025 which causes an immediate reduction value for anyone 2024 and older due to almost 6 months of loss of keeping the 2024

- The suspension change. Would've been awesome if they would've had a way to make those changes in the G1. Based on what they're showing, the changes appear only on the strut assembly and possible dampers/or smaller items connected to it. I mean they know they're suspension is loud and not really compliant to the road changes, would be nice to fix anyone's who's at least noisy.

Everything else is meh.

Rivtony

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Quad, Maserati Grandturismo, Tesla M3
Occupation
Techy Telecoms
Clubs

One thing that I noticed (i may be wrong though).
The 22" aero option which is supposed to be optimized for range doesn't look to add any extra range compared to the other sport 22"

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

2. Stadium lights
I think the change in lights is going to turn out to be an upgrade. The new lights have pixel control and supposedly track with steering. Part of their announcement also says they are ADB compliant, which would be a huge upgrade for nighttime driving in unlit areas. One of my complaints with the Gen 1 lights is that the fog lights don't effectively light up the lower corners enough when you are turning at slow speeds where pedestrians may be.

New headlights and taillights are designed with the safety of everyone on the road in mind. These headlights feature Adaptive Drive Beam technology which will be enabled later this year, helping drivers stay more aware while driving on dark roads by adapting dynamically to oncoming traffic.
I'm curious if they've improved the issue some folks have noticed with traveling in heavy snow, where it illuminates the snowflakes in front of the vehicle. Also curious if they will have less issue with accumulating snow and ice on the lights themselves.

I'm not a fan of them moving the turn signal, but this change could end up being great and that may have been necessary for compliance reasons.

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances
Not a downgrade, but I'm curious why they did not go ahead and switch to NACS at this point since the writing is on the wall already. Also, I was really hoping for something with 450+ range, but I digress.... I'm still plenty happy with my QM G1 Launch Edition that cost me 70K.
I suspect this decision is simply based on supply chain issues. They will convert to NACS as soon as they can have sufficient supply for their production requirements.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think the change in lights is going to turn out to be an upgrade. The new lights have pixel control and supposedly track with steering. Part of their announcement also says they are ADB compliant, which would be a huge upgrade for nighttime driving in unlit areas.
Maybe....all sounds great on paper...so did auto high beams...and I don't use those because they bright people over hills, etc...

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Smaller frunk is disappointing.

Call me old school, but I would also miss having actual door handles, as well.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Clubs

not really a downgrade but the lack of new paint colour options seems like a miss. The Count is also worried without a big price hike these things are going to become way too common. He saw three of them yesterday in Capital City!!!

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

not really a downgrade but the lack of new paint colour options seems like a miss. The Count is also worried without a big price hike these things are going to become way too common. He saw three of them yesterday in Capital City!!!
I think this is the biggest reason to get a tri or quad motor, the exclusive paint color.