Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's definitely an annoyance but as long as one person has an active phone key for that vehicle, you can force a profile switch once the driver sits down by tapping your name. I personally have tried to get into the habit of switching vehicles in my phone app before leaving my house if I know I am going to be using the other one.

I think each vehicle having four BLE sensors to talk to as well as the other connections required for the key ends up being a problem for most phones to maintain multiple vehicles. Especially on top of whatever other devices you're likely already connecting to in your house and other places.

Of course now that Rivian has made it so you can have multiple phones set up under the same profile, always an option to carry two phones, one with each vehicle selected...
Sponsored

Last edited:

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Bluetooth low energy is what is most likely used. In reading more about how it's implemented it might be possible.

I think the implementation makes it a challenge. With PAAK do you really want to allow simultaneously connecting to more than one PAAK device? Would that open up the possibility of relay attack or data leaking?

In my previous Tesla vehicles you could set a priority device so that if both devices were on range it tried to connect to the priority device first. When both of us got into the car at the same time with priority device it randomly picked which device to connect to. I did not own two Tesla at the same time though.

It's a unique problem and I guess a good one to have šŸ˜€

R1TY

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Cyber Security
My wife and I dont mind using the app to switch between the T and S. Shes normaly using the app to pre-heat everything anyway. Thats her favorite feature about the car. My PAAK needs improvment and has been extremly inconsistent. I want Rivian to improve that first.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My PAAK needs improvment and has been extremly inconsistent. I want Rivian to improve that first.
I think a lot of the issues are a result of poor bluetooth implementations in phones. Rivian's next generation is going to include UWB which should theoretically be much more reliable, as it's basically designed to be used for determining radio positioning. Unfortunately I highly doubt older vehicles will ever see a retrofit

kevinR1Tx2R1Sx1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red/Black, R1T LG/FG
My wife got her R1S a couple months ago and she loves it. However switching between vehicles is super annoying. First off we are not using key fobs cause thatā€™s super lame and I hate carrying keys (I canā€™t go back)

Every time you switch vehicles you have to go into the app and select the Rivian you are driving before leaving . It was ok at firstā€¦ but now I despise it.

Anyways, our first world problem could be fixed in an update Iā€™m sure, but will it ever? Itā€™s not high priority for Rivian Iā€™m sure.

Canā€™t the app just know which vehicle Iā€™m in ?

Anyone else hate this with the same passion or have any real solutions?

Thanks

IMG_0749.jpeg
I have had 4 Rivians over time and had two parked near each other on a regular basis. I use the app to switch between vehicles. I keep the key cards in my wallet just in case. But I find the app is the best solution for me. It does appear that the bluetooth connects to multiple Rivian sensors at one time. I wonder if it could be updated so that any Rivian in your app would lock/unlock when you approach or leave. I probably would not take advantage of that feature but it seems like it could be done.

Rivian is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Wishing the company and fellow owners the very best!

Sponsored

TimJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6
I have had the opposite experience as OP. At first I found it super annoying to switch apps as I often drive both cars on the same day. My wife and I carpool in her R1S and I drive my R1T on the weekends and if I have to go somewhere after work. I have become accustomed to switching the car in the app as I am walking out the door. It is worth a grumble when I forget, and I hope Rivian gets around to updating the app so I donā€™t have to switch, but I know they have other priorities. As originally mentioned, it is a very nice problem to have.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

The issue my wife and I have with our R1T is if she gets to the truck first, it will adjust to her settings....no problem until I try to get in. I am 6'2"and she is 5'1" and she has to push my name on the screen to get it to adjust. It has only happened a few times but it can get annoying. You would think they could update the software.

What I find more annoying is that we have to log out of Spotify to get to the other account. My wife and I have completely different tastes in music and PODCASTS so she has to log out, then I have to log in. It would be nice to be attached to the Rivian account/PaaK.

OP
OP
Byulasfjazz

Byulasfjazz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Van
Occupation
Franchise owner
I hear you. My wife has an S and I have a T as well. I would score the annoyance a 3 out of 10 in our case. Usually I only drive the S when heading out on a road trip (pretty much every other weekend nowadays šŸ˜…) and she only uses the T when heading out to ski. I could see how it could be a major pain if you are alternating more often.
Now thatā€™s an idea.. I will
It sounds like your chief complaint is the unlocking method doesn't recognize your seat position. I second previous recommendation, each of you default to Your vehicle. Then when the other drives, just switch profile on the screen. Doesn't that work?

The real issue is it thinks you donā€™t have a keyā€¦ until you go into the app and select the vehicle. I usually just have it unlocked in the garage.. so I get in and it wonā€™t do anything .

OP
OP
Byulasfjazz

Byulasfjazz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Van
Occupation
Franchise owner
It's definitely an annoyance but as long as one person has an active phone key for that vehicle, you can force a profile switch once the driver sits down by tapping your name. I personally have tried to get into the habit of switching vehicles in my phone app before leaving my house if I know I am going to be using the other one.

I think each vehicle having four BLE sensors to talk to as well as the other connections required for the key ends up being a problem for most phones to maintain multiple vehicles. Especially on top of whatever other devices you're likely already connecting to in your house and other places.

Of course now that Rivian has made it so you can have multiple phones set up under the same profile, always an option to carry two phones, one with each vehicle selected...
The issue isnā€™t the profile. My wife isnā€™t in the car with me most of the time. I jump in the car and it does nothingā€¦ because my app is currently on the R1T .. there is a slide over button in top left that lets me switch vehicles in the app.

Sometimes the app is slow or when switching it takes a few moments to process in the vehicle

Rivian R1T R1S Question for owners of 2+ Rivians IMG_1390

riviak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Maybe setting up separate iOS action shortcuts for each vehicle would help?
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/action-shortcuts-for-iphone-how-to.20892/

I donā€™t have two Rivians but I have noted that when setting up shortcuts you can select the vehicle from a drop down list. I assume this would allow for different shortcuts for different vehicles. Or, to get fancy, create a variable for the vehicle name.
I thought this would be the solution but you can see my post in the other thread - can't get the shortcut to differentiate between the vehicles. It only operates on the vehicle last selected in the app. If someone is smarter about shortcuts please post solution.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/action-shortcuts-for-iphone-how-to.20892/post-429057

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The issue isnā€™t the profile. My wife isnā€™t in the car with me most of the time. I jump in the car and it does nothingā€¦ because my app is currently on the R1T .. there is a slide over button in top left that lets me switch vehicles in the app.

Sometimes the app is slow or when switching it takes a few moments to process in the vehicle

IMG_1390.jpeg
Ah, we keep our cars locked, so I have to switch profiles to even get into the vehicle. Definitely easier to take my phone out of my pocket before I am sitting down.

It would be nice if the app could detect proximity to a specific vehicle (or like the fact that you are sitting in it) and automatically switch. Maybe that's something Rivian could implement.

OP
OP
Byulasfjazz

Byulasfjazz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Van
Occupation
Franchise owner
Ah, we keep our cars locked, so I have to switch profiles to even get into the vehicle. Definitely easier to take my phone out of my pocket before I am sitting down.
Yeah I know itā€™s a 1st world problem, but I actually switch vehicles multiple times a day as I pick up all the kids and go random places. There are some good suggestion in this feed though. I might try a couple out until they have an update someday.
Sponsored