Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

Not sure how these forums work… so forgive me if this is NOT the intention of this system…

The Set up: I have hovered my finger over the ‘order’ button a few times now.. to pull the trigger on an RT1. I work in sales and on the road 200-250 miles in a day (on my heavy days) but really averaging around 150 miles a day and counting in my 2018 model three (185k and climbing). Needless to say, I’m hitting the supercharger on the road far too often as i do not have the range I would like. I DO have a home charger…

Sold my F150 work truck and I want the Rt1 with all the advantages I get with the quad motors when playing in the woods (Oregon Boy) … but I’m told the MAX PACK for the quad motor will be a thing… at a ‘later date’…. And dropping 100k on a truck.. i want to do this right.

THE QUESTION(s):
1: If most of my time is highway miles, and i swap the truck into Conserve mode… is 200 REAL drive miles (SoCal located) a realistic thing? Or should I hold out for this MAX PACK QUAD (when ever that is) or is the whole argument stupid and just go with the dual with the max pack.

2: Is the Quad Max Pack a real thing and worth holding out for?

3: I’m reading that Rivian is swapping to Lithium battery system ‘in 2024’ - is this a thing now and how do we feel about the battery swap?

I need a 250k mile truck…. I’m hoping this is the solution.

Thanks in advance and happy charging…
Sponsored

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)
2022 R1T, with 20" AT tires. Interstate speeds 70-85mph get about 250 miles of range. Even with snow tires on in the winter get over 200 miles. I find the Rivian range estimator much better and ofter overly conservative compared to my old Model 3.

All 3 pack sizes are lithium so I don't know what you're referencing there. Rivian is supposed to be doing a factory shutdown for a couple weeks at some point this year for some upgrades but not sure what those are. Might be announced on March 7th with the R2 reveal. I'd love to see the R1T get nacs connector this year and 900v pack for faster charging.

Fwiw, if the dual motor was an option at the time I would have went with that over the quad for the extra range and cheaper price.

feifan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green PDM R1T
Clubs

200 real miles in a single charge is definitely realistic for a quad motor with a large pack. 250 is probably doable, although it might be a stretch if it's wet or cold, or if you have AT tires on.

As a data point, my worst range on the highway was on a rainy 40-degree morning (cold for coastal California) with AT tires, 70–75mph, pretty consistently tracking at 245 miles on a full charge in a dual-motor large pack. The quad-motor looks to be about 7–10% less efficient, so that would come out to 220 miles.

OP
OP
Boring Boy

Boring Boy

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

2022 R1T, with 20" AT tires. Interstate speeds 70-85mph get about 250 miles of range. Even with snow tires on in the winter get over 200 miles. I find the Rivian range estimator much better and ofter overly conservative compared to my old Model 3.

All 3 pack sizes are lithium so I don't know what you're referencing there. Rivian is supposed to be doing a factory shutdown for a couple weeks at some point this year for some upgrades but not sure what those are. Might be announced on March 7th with the R2 reveal. I'd love to see the R1T get nacs connector this year and 900v pack for faster charging.

Fwiw, if the dual motor was an option at the time I would have went with that over the quad for the extra range and cheaper price.

Good to know - thank you for that feed back. I heard about the factory upgrades as well.. I’ll for sure sit tight for a few mote months to see what changes have been implemented.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Boring Boy

Boring Boy

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

I have the 21” wheels and can get 300 miles at highway speeds in conserve. But the tires wear out in 25k miles.
300 real miles on a charge, changing tires at 25k is champagne problems…. This is good info. That’s the other question i was going to ask - quad motor with 21”…..

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
300 real miles on a charge, changing tires at 25k is champagne problems…. This is good info. That’s the other question i was going to ask - quad motor with 21”…..
Yeah, quad with 21’s can definitely get 300+ without issue, even not being in conserve. All you need is 2.3 miles per kWh which is very realistic. The battery is pretty big so it can get crappy efficiency until it’s warmed up, but then it’s fine.

Dr Medjools

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Mostly retired :)
Clubs

I have a quad motor rt1. With 21 inch Pirellis in conserve mood it’s easy to get up to 320. With At tires the number goes down to about 270. I have both sets so these numbers are from real SoCal driving at up to 75 on freeways and highways. Go much faster or drive hard and expect about 20% decrease.

NCRivian

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy suburban. 2023 R1T
Occupation
Plumber
I am in almost the same situation as you. I live in NC and I drive around 175 miles a day. I have had my 2023 R1t with 21” wheels for almost a year now. I only drive in all purpose or sport and I leave the house every day at 85% SOC and get home with 25%. When I drive to the beach on the weekend, I start with 100% and get there with around 30% remaining. It’s a 194 highway trip. You should go R1t…you won’t be sorry!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Boring Boy

Boring Boy

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

Yeah, quad with 21’s can definitely get 300+ without issue, even not being in conserve. All you need is 2.3 miles per kWh which is very realistic. The battery is pretty big so it can get crappy efficiency until it’s warmed up, but then it’s fine.
and that’s not charging to 100%? That’s the other concern I have is charging to 100%…. Tesla said not to do that unless you’re on the occasional road trip. I could technically charge to 100% to meet my needs three or four times a week lol

OP
OP
Boring Boy

Boring Boy

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

You can’t take a lunch break and charge for 20 min?

Absolutely! And I do-!

My model three is the long range battery from 2018. It was rated at 320 miles when I first got it, now on a full charge I get about 265… but at 70 miles an hour on the highway, I really only get about 150…. So if I’m driving from Long Beach to Palm Springs, it’s frustrating with scheduled appointments having to pull over in charge as a necessity.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2023 model S due to the 410 mile range which would accomplish exactly what I need - but as a part-time contractor, I would love to get rid of my truck and have my Rivian both my road sales vehicle and my contractor work truck.

I’m gathering most of my concerns will be resolved with the truck. It really just comes down to if it’s worth waiting for the max pack on the quad motor or take it as is.

Of course, the other big concern is Rivian is a fairly new company…. So these forms have been very helpful in learning more about the product, the issues and the resolutions.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Absolutely! And I do-!

My model three is the long range battery from 2018. It was rated at 320 miles when I first got it, now on a full charge I get about 265… but at 70 miles an hour on the highway, I really only get about 150…. So if I’m driving from Long Beach to Palm Springs, it’s frustrating with scheduled appointments having to pull over in charge as a necessity.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2023 model S due to the 410 mile range which would accomplish exactly what I need - but as a part-time contractor, I would love to get rid of my truck and have my Rivian both my road sales vehicle and my contractor work truck.

I’m gathering most of my concerns will be resolved with the truck. It really just comes down to if it’s worth waiting for the max pack on the quad motor or take it as is.

Of course, the other big concern is Rivian is a fairly new company…. So these forms have been very helpful in learning more about the product, the issues and the resolutions.
At 70-75 on the highway I get almost 300 miles on 21s with the large pack. You could easily visit clients and then top off on the way home.

OP
OP
Boring Boy

Boring Boy

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

At 70-75 on the highway I get almost 300 miles on 21s with the large pack. You could easily visit clients and then top off on the way home.

Appreciate the feedback. 🤙🏼🤙🏼
Sponsored