Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Those of us in winter climates should probably keep snow/ice in mind if we want to operate the tonneau also.

I do wonder if the different noise levels from the tonneau motors are due to different suppliers, but I would think the Rivian tech would know that and just say it if that is what it was.
Winter is only 6-8 months here and this year had the largest accumulation of snow in 100 years. The pile in my back yard will stick around until June.

so Iā€™m not worried šŸ˜‘
Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I have been a pick-up truck guy all of my life. I cannot recall any pick-up by any manufacturer that came from the factory with a tonneau cover. There is a reason for this. Not everyone wants a tonneau cover. Tonneau covers and bed toppers have always been the purview specialty automotive aftermarketeers. Pick-up truck manufacturers have always stayed away from options like these because truck people want to pick out the own bed covers if they even want one.

I think that Rivian made a mistake in offering these tonneau covers on their trucks. It is already becoming problematic for Rivian to the point that their powered tonneau has become their Achilles' heel. I am happy to see that Rivian has now dropped their tonneau covers from the included list. I am very happy to take the $800 price reduction and get my truck sans the manual tonneau cover. If I decide I want one, I will get one that really works from the aftermarket.

Brian
yup. My wife and I are leaning heavily toward skipping it. it feels like a cool idea, but already so much noise in reviews around it makes us very nervous. We skipped the electric doors on our minivan and weā€™re happier for it. Looks like skipping the tonneau will leave us happier. Besides, as my wife said, ā€œItā€™s a truck. The bed is supposed to be dirty.ā€

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I have been a pick-up truck guy all of my life. I cannot recall any pick-up by any manufacturer that came from the factory with a tonneau cover. There is a reason for this. Not everyone wants a tonneau cover. Tonneau covers and bed toppers have always been the purview specialty automotive aftermarketeers. Pick-up truck manufacturers have always stayed away from options like these because truck people want to pick out the own bed covers if they even want one.

I think that Rivian made a mistake in offering these tonneau covers on their trucks. It is already becoming problematic for Rivian to the point that their powered tonneau has become their Achilles' heel. I am happy to see that Rivian has now dropped their tonneau covers from the included list. I am very happy to take the $800 price reduction and get my truck sans the manual tonneau cover. If I decide I want one, I will get one that really works from the aftermarket.

Brian

I think the reason behind this is that Rivians are largely not being purchased by truck people. I believe they stated more than 90+% of orders itā€™s their first truck.

OP
OP
r1vlife

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
I think the reason behind this is that Rivians are largely not being purchased by truck people. I believe they stated more than 90+% of orders itā€™s their first truck.
And the R1T is my first truck šŸ˜‚.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
100% guessing, but I think the reason Rivian has gone this route is for increased EPA range. A tonneau cover generally decreases drag by about 5% vs. an open bed. That's not too big of a deal but I'm sure they were trying to get every mile possible on the rating.

As a side note, there have been many tests that compared a truck with an open tailgate vs. tailgate close (no tonneau on both) and the bed closed is better for aerodynamics because the air swirls in the open bed creating a pocket of air that the air traveling over the cab is re-directed by.

I have no business contributing to this thread with my R1S pre-order, but I hope it helps someone.

Sponsored

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

A tonneau cover generally decreases drag by about 5% vs. an open bed. That's not too big of a deal but I'm sure they were trying to get every mile possible on the rating.
Right, when you're building/designing an electric vehicle, every small percentage you can gain in efficiency matters. Better efficiency translates to better mileage and that mileage number is what the general public scrutinizes the vehicle over.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
100% guessing, but I think the reason Rivian has gone this route is for increased EPA range. A tonneau cover generally decreases drag by about 5% vs. an open bed. That's not too big of a deal but I'm sure they were trying to get every mile possible on the rating.

As a side note, there have been many tests that compared a truck with an open tailgate vs. tailgate close (no tonneau on both) and the bed closed is better for aerodynamics because the air swirls in the open bed creating a pocket of air that the air traveling over the cab is re-directed by.

I have no business contributing to this thread with my R1S pre-order, but I hope it helps someone.
This makes tons of sense and since it would only be included on the epa rating when it was standard, removing it after the epa rating also fits.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I guess this is why many here think that this tonneau cover is something that they must have and if they don't get it from Rivian, they can't have it.

Brian

Last edited:

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I don't know the answer to that question. I am keeping mine closed for better mi/kwh and then using the air compressor to spray it clean when I do spot larger debris.
If you do a bit of Googling/research, there is really no difference between having the tonneau cover closed vs. open in terms of gas mileage/efficiency (provided you keep the tailgate closed). Air will flow over the vortex (is that the term?) that's "stuck" in the bed. With the tailgate open, there is turbulence.

It is more of a security feature than anything else.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
The R1T will be my 5th truck, and Iā€™m incredibly excited for an integrated tonneau. Historically, Iā€™ve gone with tops and skipped tonneaus because of the inherent ability to Store More Crap (and sleep) in the back out of the weather. The only downside is getting more than 2 mtn bikes on the tailgate pad. Oh, and visibility is terrible.

The tonneau integration, as far as I can tell, is brilliant because itā€™s using dead space above the gear tunnel instead of having a weird cutout shape in the bed, like a wheel well but along the front. Maximum use of space and limited further intrusion into the bed.

Sponsored

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
Are the tonneaus just loud or is there something mechanically wrong with them? I'm not worried about waking someone up when I need to open it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I guess this is why many here think that this tonneau cover is something that they must have and if they don't get it from Rivian, they can't have it.
They're not wrong. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket tonneaus for the Rivian R1T, currently. Maybe one will come out, eventually. But that's not guaranteed -- and who knows when. The newness of the product, smaller production numbers (at least initially) and availability of two cool factory tonneau options would discourage most aftermarket companies from releasing one, imo.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

They're not wrong. AFAIK, there are no aftermarket tonneaus for the Rivian R1T, currently. Maybe one will come out, eventually. But that's not guaranteed -- and who knows when. The newness of the product, smaller production numbers (at least initially) and availability of two cool factory tonneau options would discourage most aftermarket companies from releasing one, imo.
You are correct at the moment. When one of the Big three slightly change their bed size, the aftermarket ears have something out within the month. It will not be any different with Rivians.

Brian

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You are correct at the moment. When one of the Big three slightly change their bed size, the aftermarket ears have something out within the month. It will not be any different with Rivians.
Iā€™m guessing weā€™re in the same position in May 2022.
Sponsored