Sponsored

Pre-heating and Pre-cooling????

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I thought I had read somewhere that you could eventually use Alexa from your house to connect to the car for climate controls as well. Hopefully that will be a thing sooner vs later
Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Very interesting. I was told by CS that there is a remote start option to regulate the temperature of the vehicle. This would be controlled from the app, like other manufactures are doing. The CS Rep did not have any details on "dog mode"

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if there was a miscommunication as to what the "pre" conditioning is here. They may have thought you were asking about preconditioning the battery and not just enabling the HVAC. Not having the ability to turn on the heater or AC remotely seems like a really weird feature for them to not have (both my cars have this, and neither are a tesla). It could obviously be added later, but Rivian seems to have such a good attention to detail that it just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have captured this feature at launch. It's literally the only thing VW car-net actually does for my ID.4 remotely for example.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I wonder if there was a miscommunication as to what the "pre" conditioning is here. They may have thought you were asking about preconditioning the battery and not just enabling the HVAC. Not having the ability to turn on the heater or AC remotely seems like a really weird feature for them to not have (both my cars have this, and neither are a tesla). It could obviously be added later, but Rivian seems to have such a good attention to detail that it just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have captured this feature at launch. It's literally the only thing VW car-net actually does for my ID.4 remotely for example.
I don't know of an EV on the market that can't do this. I doubt it is something that Rivian overlooked (but anything is possible I guess)

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
I don't know of an EV on the market that can't do this. I doubt it is something that Rivian overlooked (but anything is possible I guess)
I agree, my BMW i3 does it. My Tesla M3P does it. When I chatted with the Rivian person, I was very clear with my question. I hope they do it sooner rather than later. Not a deal breaker at all, but a definite bummer. Most EV's have kick ass AC's so, my princess butt won't roast for long in the heat.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Like is often the case with CS chats, it sometimes depend on who you ask:
1628895515357.png
Translation: They read the website just like you, and couldn't find anything mentioning that feature. Good ol' CS chat.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
stupid reply on their part. Treat us like adults and just say YES or NO
That's "I don't know" for someone that is afraid to say "I don't know."

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
The A/C thing for dogs is one that I'm keen to know about but I won't take delivery for many, many months so it doesn't do much for me to hear from a CS rep today that it may or may not be in the car eventually...

In addition to climate control, I've also been curious to know if you can modify the car alarm not to go off when you have a dog inside and the doors are locked. Late model Audi's like mine have a little switch in the door so you can lock doors but disable motion detection. That's yet another under publicized dog-friendly feature that I hope Rivian will include.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
1. should we have a third person ask and see if we can get a "yes"? It could be like a board game and see if we can collect all the possible answers!

2. I wonder how many people have asked for dog mode. I know I asked for and suggested it as a feature months ago now.

edit: @bowhunter beat me to it. We've collected them all! Yahtzee or something.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In addition to climate control, I've also been curious to know if you can modify the car alarm not to go off when you have a dog inside and the doors are locked. Late model Audi's like mine have a little switch in the door so you can lock doors but disable motion detection. That's yet another under publicized dog-friendly feature that I hope Rivian will include.
Fun little quirk of the ID.4 along similar lines (which is really stupid honestly). The car "turns on" by a pressure sensor in the drivers seat. There's no way to leave the infotainment/radio on in the car when the driver gets out other than the driver doing the following:

1. stand up and get out of the car. At which point things start turning off.
2. leave the keys in the car.
3. reach around and press the power button (that I've actually never found another use for) on the steering column.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My ICE vehicle has this feature (can run fan without starting engine, or a/c with engine start). I’m surprised rivian doesn’t.

I’m concerned with the growing list of things that rivian has chosen not to do, yet they seem like obvious and low-hanging-fruit.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
If there is no "parked" climate control functions, like Tesla's Camp/Pet modes, I will cancel my R1S order 100%. That is a deal-breaker for me.
Sponsored