calvin534

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Denali
Occupation
Channel Management
Clubs

I just picked up (Saturday) my R1S El Cap Granite and now have to decide which Llumar ppl to use: Glossy or matte. I had originally thought I would do a complete black out and tuxedo look, but having the vehicle now we really like the El Cap color. We are headed to the shop for tint, PPF and ceramic coating, so we are trying to decide which route to take.

I would assume that both provide the same protection. I do hunt and can't miss the occasional tree branch.

My questions are:
- does one have any advantage over the other in hiding small scratches?
- how muted does the El Cap get with a Stealth/matte finish? If you have a matte finish could you post a picture?
- does the matte/Stealth finish require any special care as opposed to glossy?

Thanks in advance for your help, first time with PPF.
Sponsored

Reactions: MGA

underkuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
too many toys
Congrats on the new Rivian! Our 1st R1S was el cap granite and we were wrapping it in full matte once some service center alignment issues were completed. that never happened as the car was totaled awaiting those repairs.

We did install a small section on the driver side front fender to confirm the look. pic below.

our current R1S is la silver and it spent its 1st 8-days in the shop getting tint, matte wrap, chrome delete on the top strip and blacked out the mirrors akin to our previous range rovers.

regarding scratches, both are similar - the PPF is either 8 or 10 mil thick and is mostly self healing in hot sun. if cold, run a hair dryer over the area to self heal the scratch. worst case your installer only has to replace the individual panel (unless the scratch is deep into the paint).

Our PPF has built in ceramic coating. there are also types of ceramic coating for PPF if you choose a product that doesn't come with it.

Decision is a personal preference. We love the matte. The color and metallic flake show through either way.

Rivian R1T R1S PPF: Glossy v Stealth matte film

Sponsored

OP
OP

calvin534

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Denali
Occupation
Channel Management
Clubs

Congrats on the new Rivian! Our 1st R1S was el cap granite and we were wrapping it in full matte once some service center alignment issues were completed. that never happened as the car was totaled awaiting those repairs.

We did install a small section on the driver side front fender to confirm the look. pic below.

our current R1S is la silver and it spent its 1st 8-days in the shop getting tint, matte wrap, chrome delete on the top strip and blacked out the mirrors akin to our previous range rovers.

regarding scratches, both are similar - the PPF is either 8 or 10 mil thick and is mostly self healing in hot sun. if cold, run a hair dryer over the area to self heal the scratch. worst case your installer only has to replace the individual panel (unless the scratch is deep into the paint).

Our PPF has built in ceramic coating. there are also types of ceramic coating for PPF if you choose a product that doesn't come with it.

Decision is a personal preference. We love the matte. The color and metallic flake show through either way.

matte film.jpg
This really helpful, thank you

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Thanks, I’m torn, both look awesome
They do...I was torn. What swayed me was price (They wanted an extra $500 or so for stealth) and then they told me there was a lot of disassembly to do the stealth wrap (so no glossy areas would show). The disassembly is not an issue for an experienced and good shop...but I didn't want disassembly on mine.

The matte PPF are really eye catching though.

OP
OP

calvin534

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Denali
Occupation
Channel Management
Clubs

I did not realize that, I will ask about that, thanks for the tip

Rivee

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S LE Silver

matte film.jpg
Please share any pics of your matte PPF on LA sliver if possible! Thanks!

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I love Matte but it does show a lot of dirt after a few days so be prepared for that. I like it more on “flatter” colors as well. Generally a little more expensive and my installer had 8 mil for matte and 10 mil for gloss.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I vote gloss PPF! I’ve seen the el cap in matte and though it looks nice I think if I owned it I’d get tired of it.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Matte/Satin/Stealth! Keep the black parts gloss though, and chrome delete.

Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
gloss. matte seems way over done these days.
Sponsored