First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
It’s late so I didnt fill it and test the sprayer, but I did put it in the frunk. Seems like high quality parts were used and the tank fits perfectly. Overall I’m pretty impressed. I’m now a lot more excited about the camp kitchen project I signed up for.

Dammit @BoxGods I’m now probably going to have to sign up for the matching 12v fridge even though I already bought a fridge off amazon and don’t need another :)
Thanks for the kind words =)
Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Awesome. Can't wait to use it. Thanks for bringing a great product out. Looking forward to Camp Kitchen.

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 20230928_171825

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
None that I would want to be liable for recommending. It's a plastic tank designed to hold water. Not a water heater. You can certainly pump water from it to a device specifically designed to heat water, but you shouldn't heat water to bathing temperature inside the tank.
Ok, thanks. What is the max temp recommended to fill it with? Like could I put the hottest water from faucet in so that by the time I surf afterwards it’s still warm enough to use as a shower?

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Awesome. Can't wait to use it. Thanks for bringing a great product out. Looking forward to Camp Kitchen.

20230928_171825.jpg
Thank you for taking a leap of faith with our little group =)

I can't wait to see it installed!

Last edited:

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Ok, thanks. What is the max temp recommended to fill it with? Like could I put the hottest water from faucet in so that by the time I surf afterwards it’s still warm enough to use as a shower?
Domestic hot water should be fine unless you have it set to some crazy high temp. Just parking your truck with sunshine on the hood for a few hours will get water warm enough--especially if you're coming out of the ocean.

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Spent the weekend getting my water tank installed and got to play with it a bit and wanted to provide my initial thoughts.

Design - I really like how this was designed. It takes advantage of space that is hard to get to when you have a full trunk and fits like a glove. The handle positioning is great and makes it easy to move in and out as well as allow for easy shaking/rocking when cleaning. I would have preferred the power and water outlets be on the driver side to align with the 12v outlet location, but a minor issue and assume there is a goal to keep it on the eventual camp kitchen side.

Strength - It's stronger than the factory shelf, so zero concerns about adding weight to it. I did order this rubber trunk liner (picture below) to go over it and prevent small items from falling under it. The liner I ordered feels a bit cheap and wouldn't recommend it normally, but it's thin/cheapness works in favor of being a water tank cover as it's easy to cut holes in it. The weak point of the setup is probably protecting the sprayer and hose ends while in motion. I sometimes put heavy things in the trunk (like a tool bag) that could slide around and I'm worried about it bending or breaking something. I'm probably going to build some sort of box to sit on top of the sprayer/hose ends for protection.

Quality - I noticed no real defects and everything was installed and packaged well. The parts used seem high quality with nothing feeling cheap. I did rub off the black coating on the sprayer, so use a towel like the videos. The water tank feels OEM.

Installation - pretty easy to setup, but I would call out that the brass threads are very sharp. My wrench got stuck when installing the sprayer and had to pull it off hard which caused a minor slice on my finger. Be careful. I already had a filtered water setup in my garage with easy access to existing 1/4" water lines and a stainless-steel hose fitting, so was able to run that easily to my driveway for the fill up. I would imagine access to filtered water is the most complicated installation step.

Water taste - I did rinse with dish soap a few times, but I was not able to get the plastic taste out of the water. My assumption is if I run more water through it will reduce it, but as of now it's not great. While it's still drinkable it's not pleasant. I'll update here if it goes away. I am thinking about installing an inline water filter on the sprayer end to see if that helps water quality in general. That said, I'd probably bring water bottles as my primary drinking source on a camping trip with the tank being for shower, dishes, hand washing, and drinking water if needed only.

The pump - I was expecting the submersible pump it to be weak and it was. I'm going to sign up for the external pump and while I guess the submersible gets the job done, I feel like the external should just be the default and increase the overall price. I would eventually like to run the water to the side of the truck for a shower and kitchen setup, but I don't expect the current pump to be anywhere near adequate.

Cleaning - I'm probably most concerned about keeping this thing clean and preventing anything from growing that would get someone sick. I'm thinking of buying water preserver liquid (I use it for my emergency water storage tanks) if I plan to keep water in there for an extended period of time. I also probably would add some bleach after using it to the remaining water, the sloshing it around, empty, then leave it upside down to drain. However, it's probably going to be impossible to dry fully. I'd love some guidance here.

Overall - great product and would highly recommend. While the small batch nature of this project is a bit abnormal, I now have a lot of confidence in some of the future projects @BoxGods has on their website and plan on participating in more.

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 1696282567939

Rivian R1T R1S Powered 40 qt Frunk Cooler and 12 gal Water Tank w/ washdown sprayer concept (by @BoxGods) 1696265562719

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Spent the weekend getting my water tank installed and got to play with it a bit and wanted to provide my initial thoughts.

Design - I really like how this was designed. It takes advantage of space that is hard to get to when you have a full trunk and fits like a glove. The handle positioning is great and makes it easy to move in and out as well as allow for easy shaking/rocking when cleaning. I would have preferred the power and water outlets be on the driver side to align with the 12v outlet location, but a minor issue and assume there is a goal to keep it on the eventual camp kitchen side.

Strength - It's stronger than the factory shelf, so zero concerns about adding weight to it. I did order this rubber trunk liner (picture below) to go over it and prevent small items from falling under it. The liner I ordered feels a bit cheap and wouldn't recommend it normally, but it's thin/cheapness works in favor of being a water tank cover as it's easy to cut holes in it. The weak point of the setup is probably protecting the sprayer and hose ends while in motion. I sometimes put heavy things in the trunk (like a tool bag) that could slide around and I'm worried about it bending or breaking something. I'm probably going to build some sort of box to sit on top of the sprayer/hose ends for protection.

Quality - I noticed no real defects and everything was installed and packaged well. The parts used seem high quality with nothing feeling cheap. I did rub off the black coating on the sprayer, so use a towel like the videos. The water tank feels OEM.

Installation - pretty easy to setup, but I would call out that the brass threads are very sharp. My wrench got stuck when installing the sprayer and had to pull it off hard which caused a minor slice on my finger. Be careful. I already had a filtered water setup in my garage with easy access to existing 1/4" water lines and a stainless-steel hose fitting, so was able to run that easily to my driveway for the fill up. I would imagine access to filtered water is the most complicated installation step.

Water taste - I did rinse with dish soap a few times, but I was not able to get the plastic taste out of the water. My assumption is if I run more water through it will reduce it, but as of now it's not great. While it's still drinkable it's not pleasant. I'll update here if it goes away. I am thinking about installing an inline water filter on the sprayer end to see if that helps water quality in general. That said, I'd probably bring water bottles as my primary drinking source on a camping trip with the tank being for shower, dishes, hand washing, and drinking water if needed only.

The pump - I was expecting the submersible pump it to be weak and it was. I'm going to sign up for the external pump and while I guess the submersible gets the job done, I feel like the external should just be the default and increase the overall price. I would eventually like to run the water to the side of the truck for a shower and kitchen setup, but I don't expect the current pump to be anywhere near adequate.

Cleaning - I'm probably most concerned about keeping this thing clean and preventing anything from growing that would get someone sick. I'm thinking of buying water preserver liquid (I use it for my emergency water storage tanks) if I plan to keep water in there for an extended period of time. I also probably would add some bleach after using it to the remaining water, the sloshing it around, empty, then leave it upside down to drain. However, it's probably going to be impossible to dry fully. I'd love some guidance here.

Overall - great product and would highly recommend. While the small batch nature of this project is a bit abnormal, I now have a lot of confidence in some of the future projects @BoxGods has on their website and plan on participating in more.

1696282567939.png

1696265562719.png
Nice job!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed "review" of your impressions. Sincerely appreciated.

I'll look into the threads and make sure they are breaking the sharps for future runs.

You're correct. The fill ports and sprayer hatch were originally on the other side, but as you mentioned, there was a lot of user feedback asking to move it to the "kitchen side", and also away from the trucks charge port.

On the plastic taste. Keep in mind your tank was probably molded the day before it shipped out to you--small batch manufacturing--so maybe 6 or 7 days till you filled it. IOW it hasn't sat on a shelf somewhere for several weeks or longer, and it didn't spend 6 weeks on a ship from China etc. It will take several rinse cycles. Looks like you're not using a garden hose, but for those that are, be sure to run the water in it for a bit to purge any stale water that might have been the hose.

On choosing the submersible pump as the stock pump. It really wasn't about cost as much as it was about the sound levels, and to a lesser extent, having the pump exposed. I spent a LOT of time going back and forth on this decision and ultimately made the choice that people would be pretty unhappy with an overly loud pump. So far everyone that has tried both pumps has far and away preferred the external on-demand pump, so I missed on that decision.

Fortunately the swap is pretty easy. I will be doing a run of Seaflo kits as soon as we have 50 or so on the list.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment =)

Last edited:

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Has anyone had any condensation issues with this in their frunk? Reason i ask is that i took a trip on the Blue Ridge a couple weeks ago and had some standard water jugs (square ones that fit in the same frunk space below the shelf) and with the temperature changes here in the Carolinas and the humidity, somehow i ended up with condensation on the underside of the hood and a wet shelf, even though the jugs were below the shelf. Not sure how it happened, but the store bought jugs are pretty thin plastic, and i would not expect this thicker solution to create any condensation, but just curious if it's happened or if it's a possible concern. Frunk can be pretty hot in the sun down south.

OP
OP

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

I did a test to see how much the frunk temperature affected the W[=0===0=]TR contents: 10am-4pm, max ambient was 80F.
Parked in full exposure southern facing for the hood.
Frunk internal temp hit 103F.
Water temp was just over 80F and felt tepid at best.
W[=0===0=]TR surface didn't feel warm to the touch at all.

My guess is even when the frunk temp climbs the W[=0===0=]TR material is a very bad conductor (aka good insulator).

I detected no condensation even though the tank was 20F lower than the air in the frunk. I should have checked humidity here in Portland OR that day but I don't have any way to verify my local %. I park in my insulated garage so not much overnight temp drop.

Maybe your containers had a small leak and vented extra moisture that created your condensation? Was it chilly at night? Rain could have leaked in from the top seals?

I've been driving around with a partially full tank and not noticed any issues with condensation.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Has anyone had any condensation issues with this in their frunk? Reason i ask is that i took a trip on the Blue Ridge a couple weeks ago and had some standard water jugs (square ones that fit in the same frunk space below the shelf) and with the temperature changes here in the Carolinas and the humidity, somehow i ended up with condensation on the underside of the hood and a wet shelf, even though the jugs were below the shelf. Not sure how it happened, but the store bought jugs are pretty thin plastic, and i would not expect this thicker solution to create any condensation, but just curious if it's happened or if it's a possible concern. Frunk can be pretty hot in the sun down south.
Even your cheap/thin water tanks likely wouldn't have caused condensation provided they were water tight and dry when you loaded them. All you would have needed was a temperature differential big enough to reach the dew point needed for condensing water from the air volume of the frunk. Not sure of your starting altitude but when you hit the mountains you would have been at 6,000 - 6500 feet so I'm assuming a temperature and pressure drop. The frunk runs warm so the inside would have been the warm side. Basically think beer can without a coozy.

Sponsored

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

I did a test to see how much the frunk temperature affected the W[=0===0=]TR contents: 10am-4pm, max ambient was 80F.
Parked in full exposure southern facing for the hood.
Frunk internal temp hit 103F.
Water temp was just over 80F and felt tepid at best.
W[=0===0=]TR surface didn't feel warm to the touch at all.
My guess is even when the frunk temp climbs the W[=0===0=]TR material is a very bad conductor (aka good insulator).

I detected no condensation even though the tank was 20F lower than the air in the frunk. I should have checked humidity here in Portland OR that day but I don't have any way to verify my local %. I park in my insulated garage so not much overnight temp drop.

Maybe your containers had a small leak and vented extra moisture that created your condensation? Was it chilly at night? Rain could have leaked in from the top seals?

I've been driving around with a partially full tank and not noticed any issues with condensation.
Thanks for the feedback. There are definite temp drops at night recently from 70 to 40, so perhaps that contributed as well. Glad to hear that your tank showed no signs of any condensation.

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

1696282567939.png

1696265562719.png
I think that the reason for the plastic taste could be the filler hoses. The ones I got are off-gassing so badly that I think I'll have to throw them out. They really stink.

I was surprised that the pump wasn't a demand pump. That's what I had always expected. Having the switch on the 12v adapter is OK but I always thought that the pump would be something that works when the valve is opened and the pressure released.

That frunk liner is a great idea. I just ordered one (albeit a cheaper one).

Overal, this thing turned out very cool. Nice work, @BoxGods.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think that the reason for the plastic taste could be the filler hoses. The ones I got are off-gassing so badly that I think I'll have to throw them out. They really stink.
[/USER].
I didnt use the filler hoses. I had an existing 1/4" water line with a stainless steel garden hose adapter I use for other drinking water applications.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Cross-posting the below, took me a minute to find it so dropping in this thread for others.

FWIW, to remove the plastic odor/taste in my "WOOTER", I searched extensively through various "recipes". What worked for me was this:

1. Rinse once with tap water. (maybe not necessary depending on your local water).
2. 1 cup white vinegar + 1 T. bleach + smidgen of Dawn.
3. Shake a few times during the fill process.
4. Let it sit overnight.
5. Rinse by filling with a few gallons, and shake. 2-3 times. I added a couple of tablespoons of baking soda for the first rinse. Drain.
6. Fill.
Thanks for this write-up @Synapticon ! Mine is sitting overnight now, then I'll load it up front tomorrow in it's new home.