Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Will be curious to hear about water temperature after a long trip. My frunk bottom ends up getting pretty warm.
Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
This is the only way? I guess I’m used to ordering online without having to interact with a person to make it happen.

We're fairly nice people if that helps at all =)

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Will be curious to hear about water temperature after a long trip. My frunk bottom ends up getting pretty warm.
Jeff mentions this in the video below. He is going to be testing it a bit next week if the weather in Portland cooperates. Ill be interested to see what he learns myself as 12 gallons of water is a fairly large thermal mass.

Back of napkin:

From a physics perspective it takes 8.33 BTU's to raise a gallon of water 1 degree F. That's 108 BTU's for the tank, (12 gallons nominal, 13 actual) to raise it one degree F. So if your ambient is 75F and you want 100F for comfortable bathing you need 2,700 BTU's.

2,700 BTUs per hour

= 2.7 x 103 BTUs per hour

= 7.91292 x 102 watts

So about 800 watts.

In perfect conditions, (which you will never have) there are 1,360 watts per square meter of sunlight. Within the realm of possibility but impractical is my guess.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
For some reason I thought this would include a built in water heater as well. I guess I was confused?

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Re: buying a second frunk floor panel and cutting openings for a cleaner look… if that was done (the cut outs), would the remainder of the tank be low enough for the floor panel to sit flat like OEM placement? Waiting for delivery of my water tank from BoxGods… AND my R1T Max.
Just to avoid any potential confusion--for people in general not just you--I designed the tank to replace the frunk shelf. By that I mean that anyone concerned that they can't store stuff on top of the tank like they would the frunk shelf, I would not be surprised if the tank can actually support more weight then the shelf. Jeff has a video of him loading camping gear on top of his W[=0===0=]TR without issue.

Before you scoff, this is not like a typical plastic Jerry Can with zero support and thin walls--it has internal baffle columns and has 1/8" wall thickness. The frunk shelf is wood, but it is unsupported in the middle. Jeff mentions in his videos that he thinks he could stand on it, but as he has production unit 001 he doesn't want to risk it. So I just called the factory and asked if they still had one of the mold validation samples on hand...and if they would mind having somebody stand on it.

Seth enlisted his "little" brother John who weighs 220 pounds.

It's shot on a shop phone so if anything under 4k video triggers you, don't watch. Thanks to Seth and John for stopping what they were doing and taking the time to do this as it illustrates the point pretty clearly. These guys have been nothing but great!

Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
For some reason I thought this would include a built in water heater as well. I guess I was confused?
We do have a water heater project in the works. Roof mounted with solar. You may have been thinking of that?

We have also discussed a tank heater for this tank and winter camping in our forums.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
We do have a water heater project in the works. Roof mounted with solar. You may have been thinking of that?

We have also discussed a tank heater for this tank and winter camping in our forums.
Yeah, I was thinking about the in tank heater. Is that also still in the works? If so, how would it have power since the pump is already using the frunk outlet?

zgStevieD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & OneWheel XR
Occupation
Oilfield Trash
Thanks to Seth and John for stopping what they were doing and taking the time to do this as it illustrates the point pretty clearly. These guys have been nothing but great!
[/QUOTE]

And for doing the Funky Chicken!!! lol

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Yeah, I was thinking about the in tank heater. Is that also still in the works? If so, how would it have power since the pump is already using the frunk outlet?
There are several ways to do it. You could leave the tank warmer plugged in to keep your tank from freezing, and when you need water swap to the pumps power cord. You could use a Y harness, etc.

To be clear, a tank heater just provides enough heat to keep the water from freezing. It doesn't warm the water up enough to bathe in--there is a big difference in the amount of heat and energy required.

There are also lots of different styles / types of tank warmers. Stick on pads that fit on the bottom of the tank are the most common. Several of our group members are discussing different approaches they intend to try. To be candid, I live in South Texas--essentially sub tropics--so there isn't much I can contribute beyond making sure the tank was sized to leave enough for a quilted moving blanket for insulation.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
There are several ways to do it. You could leave the tank warmer plugged in to keep your tank from freezing, and when you need water swap to the pumps power cord. You could use a Y harness, etc.

To be clear, a tank heater just provides enough heat to keep the water from freezing. It doesn't warm the water up enough to bathe in--there is a big difference in the amount of heat and energy required.

There are also lots of different styles / types of tank warmers. Stick on pads that fit on the bottom of the tank are the most common. Several of our group members are discussing different approaches they intend to try. To be candid, I live in South Texas--essentially sub tropics--so there isn't much I can contribute beyond making sure the tank was sized to leave enough for a quilted moving blanket for insulation.
Ah, thanks for clarification. So there's not really any way for me to have some mechanism to heat the water in there warm enough for a shower?

Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Thanks to Seth and John for stopping what they were doing and taking the time to do this as it illustrates the point pretty clearly. These guys have been nothing but great!
And for doing the Funky Chicken!!! lol
[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was pretty funny--though when I was watching the video the first time and he said "jump up and down" I admit I did hold my breath--stand on and jump up and down are two different things =)

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Ah, thanks for clarification. So there's not really any way for me to have some mechanism to heat the water in there warm enough for a shower?
None that I would want to be liable for recommending. It's a plastic tank designed to hold water. Not a water heater. You can certainly pump water from it to a device specifically designed to heat water, but you shouldn't heat water to bathing temperature inside the tank.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’m patiently sitting by my window waiting for the UPS truck to arrive with mine today. The initial videos look great. I have no camping trips planned unfortunately, so probably going to resort to watering the plants in my driveway this weekend :)

OP
OP

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

I’m patiently sitting by my window waiting for the UPS truck to arrive with mine today. The initial videos look great. I have no camping trips planned unfortunately, so probably going to resort to watering the plants in my driveway this weekend :)

Did you mean to say "W[=0===0=]TR the plants in my driveway?"

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s late so I didnt fill it and test the sprayer, but I did put it in the frunk. Seems like high quality parts were used and the tank fits perfectly. Overall I’m pretty impressed. I’m now a lot more excited about the camp kitchen project I signed up for.

Dammit @BoxGods I’m now probably going to have to sign up for the matching 12v fridge even though I already bought a fridge off amazon and don’t need another :)
Sponsored