Perplexed

First Name
Khurram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi,

Just putting this out there in case my issue is a one off.

I have found that the 2 usb-c ports in the centre console do not provide the same level of power output as say, for example, the 2 on the rear underneath the screen.
I bought a magsafe charging matt and when I stick my iphone on it and plug into the rear ports, my phone begins charging. However when it into the front centre console usb-c ports, the phone does not charge.

This kind of renders the charging mat useless (well unless you dont mind a usb-c cable running to the back).

Would be useful if anyone else experienced this (will be contacting Rivian after some more testing shortly).
Cheers
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I haven't tried all the USB-C outlets so I don't know if mine would get the same results, but I know the owner's guide is worded carefully. It says "The USB-C ports can charge a max of 15w", which leaves open the possibility they don't all produce the same power.

OP
OP

Perplexed

First Name
Khurram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I haven't tried all the USB-C outlets so I don't know if mine would get the same results, but I know the owner's guide is worded carefully. It says "The USB-C ports can charge a max of 15w", which leaves open the possibility they don't all produce the same power.
Good point - will update once I speak with Rivian to confirm.

thanks.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

One of the outlets is shown on the settings guide as the one to use for the TB flash drive that records the drive camera. I guess one is able to and the other not? But in any case i have not found any camera data on the drive.

Anyone used that port for camera data?

OP
OP

Perplexed

First Name
Khurram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
One of the outlets is shown on the settings guide as the one to use for the TB flash drive that records the drive camera. I guess one is able to and the other not? But in any case i have not found any camera data on the drive.

Anyone used that port for camera data?
i use the one on the right to plug in an external drive. It saves recorded footage just fine.
Regards

Sponsored

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

i use the one on the right to plug in an external drive. It saves recorded footage just fine.
Regards
I used the one on the left because I thought that is the one graphically shown in the instructions on how to do it! Thanks, I will try the right one...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Hi,

Just putting this out there in case my issue is a one off.

I have found that the 2 usb-c ports in the centre console do not provide the same level of power output as say, for example, the 2 on the rear underneath the screen.
I bought a magsafe charging matt and when I stick my iphone on it and plug into the rear ports, my phone begins charging. However when it into the front centre console usb-c ports, the phone does not charge.

This kind of renders the charging mat useless (well unless you dont mind a usb-c cable running to the back).

Would be useful if anyone else experienced this (will be contacting Rivian after some more testing shortly).
Cheers
I seem to recall a similar discussion here (or maybe on reddit) about this previously, but I can't find it with a search. I don't think this is an anamoly with your vehicle. I also recall a post here that someone had disconnected the factory charging pad and repurposed that power connector to power a 3rd party charging pad. That would be an option if you are comfortable with electrical work.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I use a third party charging pad with two Mag-Safe Chargers attached to the charging pad power port. That will charge two iPhone Pro Max's without issue. It's not the fastest charge when two phones are on the pad however, it always adds charge.

OP
OP

Perplexed

First Name
Khurram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I seem to recall a similar discussion here (or maybe on reddit) about this previously, but I can't find it with a search. I don't think this is an anamoly with your vehicle. I also recall a post here that someone had disconnected the factory charging pad and repurposed that power connector to power a 3rd party charging pad. That would be an option if you are comfortable with electrical work.
ok, good to know - thanks!

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

In regards to the drive cam issue using the two USB C ports, I tried to do that, the "set up" went ok with a green check mark untill the last part then the right side of the screen got a red circle slash over a flash device image that said use a faster device.. I was using a new USB C one TB capacity drive. The same happened in both left and right ports.
One of the instructions was to use the eject button in gear guard settings, window, but such was not found!
I don't think I want to bother the Service Dept. with this, but hopefully if I make a post on the subject I will find the issue.
Sponsored