Powder Coating Bright 22" Wheels

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
I’ve got a Launch Green R1T. Took the free upgrade to 22 brights, but think I want to powder coat them black. Anyone have recommendations on whether to use matte, satin or gloss?

In the near future, I’d also like to take the emblems black as well as wrap the metal on the bumpers, etc.
Sponsored

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
Gloss is just clear coat , easy to keep clean

The finish is your choice of course.

another option is to have the wheels hydro dipped with carbon fiber finish with clear , there are several colors of carbon fiber.

shown is a bmw RT , all
Plastic trim was hydro dipped

Iam doing a set of Porsche center lock 19” In prismatic silver with Tiger gloss clear.

Rivian R1T R1S Powder Coating Bright 22" Wheels FEA07E0A-0DDF-4DD0-9BF7-E88AD2E76004

Rivian R1T R1S Powder Coating Bright 22" Wheels D9E376E6-532A-41C5-B695-94364946EF58

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
In my experience, the flat powder-coat tends to look DIY/rattle can. Part of the reason may be that flat hides imperfections better so it's easier to do in your garage. Super glossy works better in small amounts, with the Rivian 22"s there's quite a bit of surface area. I'd go with satin as a good middle-ground choice. The powder coat people will have samples but it's difficult to imagine on a wheel.

Edit: Pic below is "satin" but I don't remember the exact gloss level, I believe it's fairly low, like 20.

Rivian R1T R1S Powder Coating Bright 22" Wheels corvette_wheel

Last edited:

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Was originally looking at matte for my 20" AT Wheels butthe place I had them done recommended semigloss for more durability. Love how they turned out

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Agree with other feedback on the lackluster look of Matte/Satin.

I’d definitely go for a non-metallic gloss black powder coat. If your 22” brights don’t have black center caps, you can buy those from Rivian SC.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Be careful about terminology. The powder coat place will likely be talking in terms of gloss level because there's some variability in where a particular manufacture classifies it's various levels.

The satin I did on my Corvette wheels exactly matched a can of big-box-store satin spray paint I purchased to take care of the plastic center caps. Some ebay decals and clear coat took care of the rest.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Be careful about terminology. The powder coat place will likely be talking in terms of gloss level because there's some variability in where a particular manufacture classifies it's various levels.

The satin I did on my Corvette wheels exactly matched a can of big-box-store satin spray paint I purchased to take care of the plastic center caps. Some ebay decals and clear coat took care of the rest.

I've been visiting my local powder coater a lot lately, because I have been restoring a classic car. The owner took me into the shop and showed me a bunch of different parts that were coated in various levels of gloss to flat black. Rather than just seeing samples in a book or on a wall of colors, I would ask to see finished pieces, rims, parts.. etc. before you decide on level of gloss you want.

Like above, taking your samples to compare is also helpful.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I prefer gloss black for wheels. Black wheels blend in already and almost disappear. The gloss adds a little shine to them to make the wheel design somewhat visible. I just had a set of wheels powder coated. They came out great.

Rivian R1T R1S Powder Coating Bright 22" Wheels 1674806056492

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
I’ve had a few things powder coated at the aluminum rail shop I used to work at. All their rails are powder coated so I just wait til they’re doing the color I want. (Glossy or flat black) and they normally just put em in with a batch of their rails that they are doing. It obviously won’t be as meticulously done as a specific powder coat shop but I’ve never had a bad turn out yet. Once there was a blemish on my sons rims but was on the inside of the wheel luckily.

Ive recommended this way to a few buddies and they’ve tried it with a few different shops with varying levels of success.

One has never had to pay for anything. Including the powder they used which is a better deal than I got. And his look amazing.
One was charged for the material which was the same deal I got and he’s tried 3 times and always got a messy result from wherever he went.

and the third one tried it once. We all think it turned out great but he’s convinced it’s covered in flaws. (5 of us agree that we don’t see flaws in it.) we’ve come to the conclusion that it’s in his head that it wasn’t a wheel shop so there must be flaws.
🤣🤣

just an idea if anyone is looking for a possible alternative.
Sponsored