Sponsored

Possible to report navigation issues?

ThePineappleWins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Is there anyway to report navigation errors? I have seen multiple times, on multiple roads, that the truck tells me to make a left onto a highway when that is illegal and you need to take a right hand exit for it. I have attached an image that shows what I'm talking about. The red line is how you should enter the highway.

Rivian R1T R1S Possible to report navigation issues? IMG_1196
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Is that a "new" or "kind of new" entrance ramp?

I recently encountered the same issue in our Model 3 where the old entrance ramp was converted for only people in the East side of the N/S avenue a full 2yrs ago now.

And.. .everyone knows you can't make left turns in Jersey anyway ;)

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I believe Rivian use OpenStreetMap for their data. Rivian navigation used to route me to my house using the cart paths of the golf course behind my house. not kidding. I made a change to open streetmaps to mark the cart paths as private roads/cart paths and it fixed my rivian (and ABRP)!
Anyone can get an id and submit changes in openstreetmaps. Scary and cool, I guess.

OP
OP
ThePineappleWins

ThePineappleWins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Is that a "new" or "kind of new" entrance ramp?

I recently encountered the same issue in our Model 3 where the old entrance ramp was converted for only people in the East side of the N/S avenue a full 2yrs ago now.

And.. .everyone knows you can't make left turns in Jersey anyway ;)
Nope not new, hasn't changed in at least the 7 years I have lived in this area. And there have been other on ramps just like it that get routed the same way.

OP
OP
ThePineappleWins

ThePineappleWins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I believe Rivian use OpenStreetMap for their data. Rivian navigation used to route me to my house using the cart paths of the golf course behind my house. not kidding. I made a change to open streetmaps to mark the cart paths as private roads/cart paths and it fixed my rivian (and ABRP)!
Anyone can get an id and submit changes in openstreetmaps. Scary and cool, I guess.
Interesting... Here is the same section in Open Street Maps, it makes the same wrong turn. Any idea how to edit this?

Rivian R1T R1S Possible to report navigation issues? 1674501635441

Sponsored

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No idea what the fix is, my guess is that the berlin rd section needs to be divided into two divided lanes. I think you can right click on the location that is wrong and "Add a note" for them to look at. There are also some forums that you could probably submit to as well. (https://forum.openstreetmap.org/)

Perhaps you could also submit to Rivian and they can fix it.

Note that when i made my changes it took a few weeks before i noticed them, probably many copies of this data that only get refreshed periodically. I bet ABRP makes the same wrong turn.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Last edited:

MrMetlHed

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep 4xe, R1T (Order 2/20/22, from Shop 2/11/23)
Occupation
Journalist @ Reuters
Sometimes the map lines just don't connect properly if you zoom in to lowest point, so that's another thing to try on OSM. On Google Maps my street doesn't connect to the main street and it always routes me around the block. No amount of reporting the error to Google has got it fixed. At least with OSM you can sometimes get a fix through and have it reach other apps.

Sponsored

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My guess is that the turn restrictions need to be edited from Berlin to the onramp. Currently it is set to "Right turn allowed" and it probably needs to be "Only Right turn allowed" If you click on berlin road, then click on the point of the intersection where i put the yellow arrow (berlin and onramp) That will then open the turn restriction dialog on the left. click on the green arrow on the on ramp where i put the yellow arrow and it will toggle through turning options. Just a guess though. I believe you can make the changes and ask for review when you submit them.

Rivian R1T R1S Possible to report navigation issues? 1674507589771

OP
OP
ThePineappleWins

ThePineappleWins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My guess is that the turn restrictions need to be edited from Berlin to the onramp. Currently it is set to "Right turn allowed" and it probably needs to be "Only Right turn allowed" If you click on berlin road, then click on the point of the intersection where i put the yellow arrow (berlin and onramp) That will then open the turn restriction dialog on the left. click on the green arrow on the on ramp where i put the yellow arrow and it will toggle through turning options. Just a guess though. I believe you can make the changes and ask for review when you submit them.

1674507589771.png

Wow so I think I corrected this in the map. Now I'm getting sucked in to correcting all sorts of issues. I think I'm going down a deep rabbit hole here!!

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Will be interesting to see if the northwest bound traffic now gets forced into the loop :)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wow so I think I corrected this in the map. Now I'm getting sucked in to correcting all sorts of issues. I think I'm going down a deep rabbit hole here!!
Could be part of the reason that I don't have the same complaints about Rivian's mapping system as most people. We have pretty hardcore OSM mappers in my area that fix things way before they show up corrected on google maps.

OP
OP
ThePineappleWins

ThePineappleWins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Could be part of the reason that I don't have the same complaints about Rivian's mapping system as most people. We have pretty hardcore OSM mappers in my area that fix things way before they show up corrected on google maps.

This is the first issue I have had with the Nav to date. My experience does not match the complaints that I have read. I could definitely believe that the OSM maps are better in some places then others.
Sponsored