Sponsored

Poll on additional cost for 400 mile version

How much more would you be willing to pay for the 400+ mile version (over the 300+)?

• Total voters

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
It's rather like a pistol. One buys it in the hope he will never need it.

Maybe a thermal imaging camera is a better analogue. Pay a lot for it in the expectation that you will never use it except for the job you bought it for and find that you wind up using it all the time.
Do you have a EV now?
Looking at available chargers I'm now glad not to be getting the 180Kw
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
How often will you need it?
I had a real world experience already in my Bolt. Planned a trip from Phoenix to LA and upon arriving at my first charging stop in Blythe, CA, the DFDC was broken. I had 60 miles remaining with 100 miles to the next DFDC. So I spent 2 hours charging on a Level 2 to get there.

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
Good to know
Been searching for real answers
But things will improve
So I still feel like I'm dodging a bullet
I can buy a big generator for $10k

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I had a real world experience already in my Bolt. Planned a trip from Phoenix to LA and upon arriving at my first charging stop in Blythe, CA, the DFDC was broken. I had 60 miles remaining with 100 miles to the next DFDC. So I spent 2 hours charging on a Level 2 to get there.
I thought plug share will tell you of the chargers aren't functional.... is that not real time?

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I'm still waiting for Kingman to open.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Do you have a EV now?
Yes, I do and am very much appreciative of any extra range I can get. I traded in a perfectly good 294 mile car after only a little more than a year in order to get an extra 58 miles range and have come to appreciate that extra range greatly - it adds considerably more flexibility in one's trip planning by giving the driver more options as to where and when he can charge. In fact this poll is the result of a poll I launched to see what people wanted. I was sure that experienced owners would value the extra range more than those who had never owned before but one of our members pointed out that while that might be true non owners might be equally strongly motivated towards the bigger battery by range anxiety (which experienced drivers lose very quickly). Indeed the two might offset as the poll currently shows 57.1% of both non owners and owners preferring the larger battery size. Note, however, that as the number of respondents to the poll is still small (n=84) the standard deviations attached to those percentage is quite large: 9.4% in the case of owners and 6.6% in the case of non owners.

That tells me you are probably not an EV driver.

A driver's comfort stems from the feeling that he will not wind up by the side of the road with no charge. Some figure and others intuit that comfort is proportional to the product of some power (greater than 1 but less than 2) of the available range and the charger density. Right now the charger density (should probably be speaking of the reliable charger density) is, for other than Tesla, not that great. Thus, for those who undersrtand, the great importance of range.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm still waiting for Kingman to open.
I got on the phone with Electrify America two years ago to request that. They have not started construction yet, but it is in the plan.

For those that think 300 miles is enough, Phoenix to Vegas is 301 miles via US 93, with no DFDCs currently on that route. The 300 mile R1T or R1S would not make it. And what would happen if those chargers were in place, but down for some reason? There is only one Level 2 charger in Kingman as well, not not much of a backup system.

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
Yes, I do and am very much appreciative of any extra range I can get. I traded in a perfectly good 294 mile car after only a little more than a year in order to get an extra 58 miles range and have come to appreciate that extra range greatly - it adds considerably more flexibility in one's trip planning by giving the driver more options as to where and when he can charge. In fact this poll is the result of a poll I launched to see what people wanted. I was sure that experienced owners would value the extra range more than those who had never owned before but one of our members pointed out that while that might be true non owners might be equally strongly motivated towards the bigger battery by range anxiety (which experienced drivers lose very quickly). Indeed the two might offset as the poll currently shows 57.1% of both non owners and owners preferring the larger battery size. Note, however, that as the number of respondents to the poll is still small (n=84) the standard deviations attached to those percentage is quite large: 9.4% in the case of owners and 6.6% in the case of non owners.

That tells me you are probably not an EV driver.

A driver's comfort stems from the feeling that he will not wind up by the side of the road with no charge. Some figure and others intuit that comfort is proportional to the product of some power (greater than 1 but less than 2) of the available range and the charger density. Right now the charger density (should probably be speaking of the reliable charger density) is, for other than Tesla, not that great. Thus, for those who undersrtand, the great importance of range.
Thank you

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
For those that think 300 miles is enough, Phoenix to Vegas is 301 miles via US 93, with no DFDCs currently on that route. The 300 mile R1T or R1S would not make it. And what would happen if those chargers were in place, but down for some reason? There is only one Level 2 charger in Kingman as well, not not much of a backup system.
This illustrates the density*range^1.2 comfort index. This gentleman would fell more comfortable if either more stations were available or he had more available range (or both).

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I thought plug share will tell you of the chargers aren't functional.... is that not real time?
Plugshare is not real time, but it can tell you if other users have had issues. The charging company apps are real time, but even those are not reliable. At the time I made my trip to LA, EV Connect was the only DFDC in Blythe and I downloaded the app and it showed as available and working. But when I got there it would not work, even with phone calls to EV Connect. Then I looked on Plugshare, and another driver had an error the day before me, if only I had checked closer to my departure.

It does turn out that Blythe has 5 L2 chargers, so I had a backup, but it was painful to have to wait 2 hours, instead of 20 minutes.

Now Charge Point has two other DFDCs in Blythe and Electrify America is installing them in Quartzsite, AZ.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I can buy a big generator for $10k
This suggests that you are thinking about charging at home. The 300 vs 400 mile argument really doesn't apply to home charging as very few people do anything close to 300 miles per day. Range is significant on road trips and as road trips are relatively infrequent for most the marginal value of extra range comes into question. The best I can offer is to buy as much range as you can get within your financial comfort zone.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Plugshare is not real time, but it can tell you if other users have had issues. The charging company apps are real time, but even those are not reliable. At the time I made my trip to LA, EV Connect was the only DFDC in Blythe and I downloaded the app and it showed as available and working. But when I got there it would not work, even with phone calls to EV Connect. Then I looked on Plugshare, and another driver had an error the day before me, if only I had checked closer to my departure.

It does turn out that Blythe has 5 L2 chargers, so I had a backup, but it was painful to have to wait 2 hours, instead of 20 minutes.

Now Charge Point has two other DFDCs in Blythe and Electrify America is installing them in Quartzsite, AZ.
Great thanks for that info. I'm seeing more and more EA popping up everywhere. I wonder how many more they'll add on 2021

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Plugshare is not real time,
No, but it is near real time. Very soon after a user posts a "check in" comment it appears.

Premium (means that there is a fee) ABRP now has real time (or near real time) availability info but I don't know from whence it is sourced i.e. it may be from the network operators rather than drivers.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Great thanks for that info. I'm seeing more and more EA popping up everywhere. I wonder how many more they'll add on 2021
Cycle 2, which they have been in since 2019, ends at the end of 2021. Here is the current and coming soon numbers:

Rivian R1T R1S Poll on additional cost for 400 mile version 1605535279697

When they state coming soon, you can assume up to one year out. Just turning on the electricity seems to take months after the stations look completed. When they initially put it on the web as coming soon, that means they have an agreement with a property owner to install them, but no permits or anything else.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
No, but it is near real time. Very soon after a user posts a "check in" comment it appears.

Premium (means that there is a fee) ABRP now has real time (or near real time) availability info but I don't know from whence it is sourced i.e. it may be from the network operators rather than drivers.
I hope Rivian makes agreements to have real time info from the charging companies. GM has this with EVGO and Charge Point, but not yet for EA. I have all the Apps on my phone and that actually works fine for real time status, you just can't see all companies in one place.

Plugshare is a voluntary system, so it may or may not be updated by all users.
Sponsored