F John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica
Occupation
Business owner
Hi hawaii Rivian owners!
I am scheduled to fly to San Francisco to pick up my new R1T and ship it over to Oahu.
I have already chatted with a couple of you in Kailua. Thanks for answering some of my questions.

I am having cold feet about the service/reliability issues I read about.

the new service center definitely tipped me over the edge in getting this far in buying process…but…
What has been your experience as far as issues with your Rivian’s and how have you had those issues addressed living here?

iImagine the service center won’t be open til June/July here on Oahu at the earliest.

Cheers,
Sponsored

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
Hi hawaii Rivian owners!
I am scheduled to fly to San Francisco to pick up my new R1T and ship it over to Oahu.
I have already chatted with a couple of you in Kailua. Thanks for answering some of my questions.

I am having cold feet about the service/reliability issues I read about.

the new service center definitely tipped me over the edge in getting this far in buying process…but…
What has been your experience as far as issues with your Rivian’s and how have you had those issues addressed living here?

iImagine the service center won’t be open til June/July here on Oahu at the earliest.

Cheers,
Stop stressing and enjoy the vehicle. It's amazing!

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
This issue with forums in general is that folks tend to favor posting negative experiences, as positive ones fall into the "that's what's expected" category. Plus, it's easier to post thoughts when fired up over a bad day(s).

This is in no way discounting anyone's actual interactions with Service. I will say, my experiences (pick-up, online, phone, service appointment) have been good to stellar. The biggest knock is backlog - I had to wait a good 4 months to get it into the shop. Once there, they addressed all of the concerns, and in my case, placed all work under warranty (read: no cost to me). Summary of service items:

1. Truck pulled to the right - they fixed alignment.
2. Link wrist band key I purchased via third party private sale - they couldn't get it to work, so they just gave me a new one and linked that.
3. Camp speaker would not charge - they got it to charge, with the promise that if failure continues, they'll swap it.
4. The garage hinge gauged my tailgate, I applied Rivian touch up paint, but it heinously mismatched - they buffed it out, reapplied, and blended it to match. Also gave me new touch up paint.
5. 5- tire rotation - they lumped that in with alignment, I guess. No charge.

This is not a guarantee that similar requests will be free for you. I just happened to hit the lottery. Point here is to share my good Service experiences.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I had several service issues within the first few months that might not be possible for a remote technician to fix. I'm glad I was still in Seattle during that time.

I would not have wanted to be stuck with any of these problems for an extended period:
  • Rear window permanently stuck open.​
  • USB-C ports that wouldn't recognize a thumb drive until they had their firmware reflashed by the SC. Gear guard and dash cam required that fix.​
  • Persistent rattling in the dash.​
  • A passenger door panel was binding against the body and rubbing off paint any time the door was opened after the truck was parked in direct sun.​
  • A loose bolt or some object rolling around inside my rear car door on every hill and turn (the SC did not fix it, and I'm stuck with it for now. It's quite maddening).​
Yes, you don't hear as much from people with a positive experience. But given the magnitude of possible problems, that small fraction of loud voices should be heeded. When the risk is low but the outcome is bad, the expected value suggests that you should be fully prepared for some initial friction owning the R1.

At least you're on Oahu, which may have a service center next year. I'm on Maui, so my risk tolerance was quite low.
Sponsored