Sponsored

Pellet Grill/Smoker

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
At your request @DB-EV .

Pellet grills/smokers are a cheat code for smoking meats. They burn compressed wood pellets that provide both heat & smoke. You set the desired temp & there is a controller that runs a fan and an auger that feeds the wood pellets, so they can very precisely regulate the temperature.

I love BBQ & have used traditional offset smokers for years, but they're a lot of work & knowledge to keep them rolling good smoke & regulating temp.

I'm all about ease of use & excellent end results, so smoking with a pellet grill is my style. I'm on my second one, and highly recommend paying for a quality unit with a PID controller. My first one would have temp swings +/- 15°, but my new one stays SPOT ON with less than 2° variance & even that's rare. New one is a Recteq RT-700 and I can't say enough good things about it.

Oh yeah, it connects to wifi for control & monitoring. You can turn it on/off, monitor or adjust grill temp, and see the temps on 2 "built in" meat probes that come with it, all from your phone over the Internet.

BBQ lover & tech nerd's dream...
Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I'm with you. For 15 years, I used a smoker with a side fire box that burned wood logs and some of the best BBQ I've ever made came off of that smoker. When I was in my 20s, "what are we doing today" was usually riding the motorcycle or smoking some meat. That worked for a long time. Somewhere, adulthood caught up with me and I started using it less and less.

I've got a pellet smoker now, and as long as either my wife or I will be somewhere near the house, I can fire it up and effortlessly make some pretty good quality BBQ. I think I've had it for almost 5 years now, and I doubt I'll ever go back to tending a fire.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I have a Masterbuilt Gravity Series smoker/grill that uses charcoal and wood chucks that also has a remote control feature. It uses a concept similar to pellet grills where it’s an indirect heat that is controlled by an electric fan, and that fan is thermostatically controlled. Add a WiFi connection, and fan thus becomes remotely controllable. It all worked seamlessly out of the box. Just had to connect the cooker to my home WiFi, install the remote app on my phone and then pair them. It also allow for 4 external thermometers to be connected and displays the temp readings from those probes on the app as well.

It has a temperature range from 130-700 degrees, so you can do everything from a cold smoke to a quick sear and everything in between.

Pork shoulder I smoked a couple of weekends ago...

Rivian R1T R1S Pellet Grill/Smoker FA1EBA57-ABCC-4D19-8F15-C6048B656A3F

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
At your request @DB-EV .

Pellet grills/smokers are a cheat code for smoking meats. They burn compressed wood pellets that provide both heat & smoke. You set the desired temp & there is a controller that runs a fan and an auger that feeds the wood pellets, so they can very precisely regulate the temperature.

I love BBQ & have used traditional offset smokers for years, but they're a lot of work & knowledge to keep them rolling good smoke & regulating temp.

I'm all about ease of use & excellent end results, so smoking with a pellet grill is my style. I'm on my second one, and highly recommend paying for a quality unit with a PID controller. My first one would have temp swings +/- 15°, but my new one stays SPOT ON with less than 2° variance & even that's rare. New one is a Recteq RT-700 and I can't say enough good things about it.

Oh yeah, it connects to wifi for control & monitoring. You can turn it on/off, monitor or adjust grill temp, and see the temps on 2 "built in" meat probes that come with it, all from your phone over the Internet.

BBQ lover & tech nerd's dream...
Rivian R1T R1S Pellet Grill/Smoker Capture.JPG

Skyote, do these handles retract when you drive off or only when locking the smoker?! :p?

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Capture.JPG

Skyote, do these handles retract when you drive off or only when locking the smoker?! :p?
They seem to be there every time I get close, so maybe they're self presenting...

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Big fan of my Camp Chef Woodwind 36". I wanted basically all bells/whistles: WIFI, 4 built-in temp probes, propane attachment called a Sidekick w/removable griddle & removeable grill box. Been fun and works great.

Rivian R1T R1S Pellet Grill/Smoker BFE7983E-8B31-4526-9D8F-5E01BA83D49D

Rivian R1T R1S Pellet Grill/Smoker 58794D05-FB76-4594-A6DA-1BBFD858AE5A

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
We have a Memphis Woodfire Pro smoker and love it. Amazing how well It holds temp even in the Chicago winters.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I've got a Weber Performer for my smoking and a Weber Summit for grilling. However, as anyone that smokes knows, controlling that smoke is a little bit of a challenge. It is especially true with a Weber kettle. I was going to get a Weber Smokefire pellet grill but there seem to be a lot of defects and poor design work that went into that. So I'm currently shopping. I'm looking at Recteq's RT-700, the Yoder YS480S, and Trager Timberline 850.

Yoder is expensive but has a really good history of quality, long lasting, grills. Traeger is also well known and the Timberline series is double walled. Recteq is the most affordable of the group, has tons and tons of great customer reviews, and some neat features. But it's not double walled and would probably need blankets when cooking in Colorado winters.

I need to make up my mind and pull the trigger. I can go out and buy a Yoder or Traeger today, but I have to order the Reqtec. Hopefully I would be able to get one before Thanksgiving.

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
I've got a Weber Performer for my smoking and a Weber Summit for grilling. However, as anyone that smokes knows, controlling that smoke is a little bit of a challenge. It is especially true with a Weber kettle. I was going to get a Weber Smokefire pellet grill but there seem to be a lot of defects and poor design work that went into that. So I'm currently shopping. I'm looking at Recteq's RT-700, the Yoder YS480S, and Trager Timberline 850.

Yoder is expensive but has a really good history of quality, long lasting, grills. Traeger is also well known and the Timberline series is double walled. Recteq is the most affordable of the group, has tons and tons of great customer reviews, and some neat features. But it's not double walled and would probably need blankets when cooking in Colorado winters.

I need to make up my mind and pull the trigger. I can go out and buy a Yoder or Traeger today, but I have to order the Reqtec. Hopefully I would be able to get one before Thanksgiving.

I've got a Yoder YS640 and have had it for about 5 years now. One of the best purchases I've ever made (hope to add another to that list sOOn)

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Have you considered a fan system for your Weber to control temp? You can get one for like $100

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I bought one in 2020 (ASmoke). Wife and one of two (grown) kids are now fully vegetarian. Have not smoked a brisket in 18 months. Breaks my heart.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Have you considered a fan system for your Weber to control temp? You can get one for like $100
I have, but it's also 15 years old, so it's time for a replacement.

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
I bought one in 2020 (ASmoke). Wife and one of two (grown) kids are now fully vegetarian. Have not smoked a brisket in 18 months. Breaks my heart.

Similar boat here. I got an Ooni pizza oven that uses the same pellets and have put more pellets through that in the last year than the smooker. COVID sucks.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I have, but it's also 15 years old, so it's time for a replacement.
Understandable. I have a Weber Kettle and have been considering a fan unit for it for medium smokes when I don't want to fire up my stick burner (wings, maybe ribs, etc) and I've done some research. Seems like the same level of input as a pellet but much less expensive and probably better flavor with good charcoal and wood chunks.
Sponsored