Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Rivian R1T R1S Parking a Rivian Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 8.59.13 AM

I know a lot of us consider ourselves gear heads and car guys and all that stuff, and we probably pride ourselves on our parking abilities. My question is though, have anything been confirmed about parking assistance other than available sensors to show you what is around you? My 2016 Prius has self park and it can parallel park on either the driver's side or the passenger side, it can pull out of a parallel parking spot, and it can back into a perpendicular spot. It's a nice feature to have, especially when you're in tights spots in San Francisco or on a hill, or when you just want to be lazy and "test" the system to see how well it will do.

On Rivian's site, I see that the features included are shown in the screenshot and it appears that its just visual or audible assistance and not actually taking over the task.

Anyone know if it's been mentioned or shown somewhere else? Also, this may be semantics but the website states "Surround Sensors" not necessarily Surround View. Hoping its not just sensors showing radar of distance around the vehicle and actually indeed will show camera angles all around.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Hopefully we'll get actual answers to questions like these prior to customer deliveries starting.

I remember seeing somewhere that Rivian confirmed there would be a 360 or birds eye camera view. I don't think I've seen anything about "self parking", although the vehicles should definitely be equipped to handle it from a hardware/autonomy perspective.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
My Volvo has the same self-park feature. I don't use it frequently, but there are certainly times when it comes in extremely handy.

Given all the sensors and cameras on the Rivian, and the fact that it's become a fairly standard feature for mid-end+ cars, I'd be highly surprised if the Rivian does not have the capability.

I do find it odd it's not explicitly listed as a feature anywhere on the website. I'd ask CS, but we all know what their answer would be :)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do find it odd it's not explicitly listed as a feature anywhere on the website.
We all know there's a lot that's not on the website. I could see it not being a released SW feature, but I do think it should be there eventually.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Given all the sensors and cameras on the Rivian, and the fact that it's become a fairly standard feature for mid-end+ cars, I'd be highly surprised if the Rivian does not have the capability.
Doesn't seem like there's any hardware reason not to support the feature... But it's possible Rivian has focused software development elsewhere. If not available at launch, perhaps it will be rolled out via OTA update, later? They may be focusing on core functionality and making that as good as it can be, before moving on to more fringe features.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Doesn't seem like there's any hardware reason not to support the feature... But it's possible Rivian has focused software development elsewhere. If not available at launch, perhaps it will be rolled out via OTA update, later? They may be focusing on core functionality and making that as good as it can be, before moving on to more fringe features.
See, I knew you were pretty smart.

BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
Yes, auto-park would be a great feature. Absolutely every car we ever owned had the common curb rash on the expensive rims. I certainly plan for the whole family to use the R1T so anything that can help will be welcomed. I, of course, have not learned my lesson and ordered the 22” rims with the smallest sidewall height. I guess I’ve always been a “low profile” kinda guy!

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

No birds eye view...
There has been verbal confirmation of surround view cameras from engineers. It has never explicitly been called out on the website feature list, but I fully expect it to be there.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Under promise, over deliver!

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I've been sending CS emails with youtube links to the Hyundai Tuscon's remote parking capabilities: . That's a vehicle which is less than half the price of a Rivian. Encourage you all to contact CS as well if you think this feature is valuable to you.

OP
OP
Pedritho

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
I've been sending CS emails with youtube links to the Hyundai Tuscon's remote parking capabilities: . That's a vehicle which is less than half the price of a Rivian. Encourage you all to contact CS as well if you think this feature is valuable to you.
I can definitely see this as useful, especially in tight parking stalls or garages, however this is a bit different than what I was referring to.

This is more what I was referring to:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I can definitely see this as useful, especially in tight parking stalls or garages, however this is a bit different than what I was referring to.

This is more what I was referring to:
Gotcha - in theory this should be easier to do with all the sensors/cameras and a driver behind the wheel, so it would certainly be a disappointment if these features weren't present on the Rivian.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
...I have a low bar. I can't even get Land Rover to update my Defender's software so I can listen to Spotify or run the car's WiFi hotspot. If the Rivian ever shows and can do those things I'd be happy...
Sponsored