Sponsored

Tomgriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MS 70D, 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, T700
RAN Chargers??? You will be waiting for 5 years at the minimum for them to appear in volume density. Just look at the expansion history of Tesla and Electrify America and you will see that it is not easy rolling out a charging network.

The EA charging network between California and UT is now equally as good as the Tesla network - I can say this after owning two Model S', two Model X's, an Audi e-Tron, and two different Taycan's over the past 7 years. I can do the drive from Denver to Vegas in an EV practically blindfolded at this point since I have done it so many times and in so many different EV's.

Not trying to be critical of your post, but you are not losing anything other than Plug and Charge capability when you swap your M3 to a Rivian, and drive to eastern Utah.
Having an MS and Chevy Bolt [with a MS 70D, the Tesla and Chevy have about the same range and charging times aren't that much different, especially above 50%] and having used EA and Superchargers, the difference between the two networks, at least in the Pacific Northwest, isn't as much as a lot of people think. I do like the plug and charge with the MS but EA has worked for me, and my kids and is where needed. For me, I don't take the MS on trips because of the charging network but because of comfort, driving dynamics and autopilot.
Sponsored

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Why LiFePo4?
LiNiCoAl02 (NCA) used in the Samsung SDI cells have way higher energy density (much lighter per a given KW capacity) and a better charge discharge rates at cold temperatures. and maintain very good discharge life cycle.
Lifepo4 has more than twice the battery life than NCA for one thing. Weight also depends on whose lifepo battery. If they used BYDs it would be awesome but prob not in the cards.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Rivian could have >100 charging stations at the permit stage or further today. A number of California chargers seems to be know from a PG&E list, but otherwise there is no easy way to get a count.

600 charging stations is a lot if they mostly avoid proximity to EA stations.
Sponsored