webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Should add, two of the three DMV clerks took an interest in the Rivian. Both wanted to get a peek. Lucky I had front row parking, didn’t delay things for the people after me. Also the clerk I ended up with had a son in Navy boot camp. She saw I’m a Navy vet from my plate paperwork.
Sponsored

@n!m@l!@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MDX, 2016 RX350, 2018 Tacoma
Anyone else had success in doing self registration in Oregon? My current guide said it is not possible and that he asked around and everyone he asked said no. I know that others have done this.

My reason for wanting to do self registration is that Rivian is not familiar with the process of plate transfer from another OR vehicle. In my case, it is the vehicle I am trading in to them. I am working on my 8-step purchase process and looking at my taxes and fees, they are charging me $632 for registration instead of just $30 for plate transfer fee. Anyone familiar with OR plate transfer knows that the remaining time of registration of the plates you are transferring, transfers to the vehicle you are transferring the plates to. I still have 1 year and 9 months remaining with the current registration/plates so obviously I do not want to waste that.

Last edited:

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
We live on the WA side and picked our R1S up at the Portland (OR) Service Center.

Rivian was pretty rigid about filing the papers themselves, rather than letting me handle it in WA.

As I recall, Rivian's reasoning was that it could take weeks for them to provide me with a usable title and they didn't want me to need a long string of three-day permits.

Rivian may not be licensed as an auto dealer in OR or WA; this may also have been a significant issue. I think that's why our temporary tags and documents were from Illinois, not Oregon.

Rivian has a lot of things to figure out about customizing the purchase experience to fit different customer needs in different states. "One size fits all" -- doesn't. But it may not all be Rivian's fault.

Very best wishes!

@n!m@l!@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MDX, 2016 RX350, 2018 Tacoma
We live on the WA side and picked our R1S up at the Portland (OR) Service Center.

Rivian was pretty rigid about filing the papers themselves, rather than letting me handle it in WA.

As I recall, Rivian's reasoning was that it could take weeks for them to provide me with a usable title and they didn't want me to need a long string of three-day permits.

Rivian may not be licensed as an auto dealer in OR or WA; this may also have been a significant issue. I think that's why our temporary tags and documents were from Illinois, not Oregon.

Rivian has a lot of things to figure out about customizing the purchase experience to fit different customer needs in different states. "One size fits all" -- doesn't. But it may not all be Rivian's fault.

Very best wishes!

Thank you for you response. My guide just texted me and he told me that he asked more people and eventually was able to get the right answer this time. Yes, self registration in OR is allowed by Rivian (but only if you ask the right people, it seems).

He removed the title and registration fees in my account. Now only the destination fee of $1800 and documentation fee of $115 are listed in the taxes and fees section. He said that within 1-2 weeks after delivery, I will receive a self-registration packet in the mail to do the plate/reg transfer and titling myself. Payment of the OR vehicle use tax (0.05%) is required prior to registering/titling the vehicle. This can be done quickly online.
Sponsored

Last edited: