webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

My R1S should be arriving later this week and hopefully I’ll take delivery by the end of the month. My second guide, first ghosted me, reached out the other day. I was planning on getting a specialty plate (permanent disabled veteran plate). My guide informed me they wouldn’t submit the paperwork with my registration packet. Hoping to avoid getting two sets of plates. Anyone been able to submit paperwork in parallel for specialty plates with Rivian submitting title and registration forms?
Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Yes, but I was already in possession of my vanity plates as I planned for this change months in advance.

OP
OP
webfootdawg

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Yes, but I was already in possession of my vanity plates as I planned for this change months in advance.
Did Rivian facilitate, or did just mail paperwork to the DMV when Rivian filed on their end?

Given Rivian filing doesn't appear to be an option, my ideal scenario would be I file the paperwork a little ahead of Rivian, it meets up with Rivian's submission, matching up by matching VINs, and I only ever get one plate in the mail.

I submitted an ask DMV question, still awaiting their response.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Since I already had the plates in play, it was pretty easy for Rivian to submit. I would talk with DMV to determine the best course of action for you. When I was there transferring my title to the vehicle I sold prior to the Rivian, they checked everything, and it was a simple process.

OP
OP
webfootdawg

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Since I already had the plates in play, it was pretty easy for Rivian to submit. I would talk with DMV to determine the best course of action for you. When I was there transferring my title to the vehicle I sold prior to the Rivian, they checked everything, and it was a simple process.
I find Rivian's response a bit disappointing. All it takes is one extra form, a letter from the Veterans administration, and a change to fee calculations. I have the form filled out and have the letter. One area my dealer experiences have been better.

Sponsored

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

I find Rivian's response a bit disappointing. All it takes is one extra form, a letter from the Veterans administration, and a change to fee calculations. I have the form filled out and have the letter. One area my dealer experiences have been better.
They told me the same thing when I asked about getting a non-standard plate, that I would have to wait till the standard plates arrive then order what I wanted as they do not process non-standard plate requests.

OP
OP
webfootdawg

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

I contacted Oregon DMV to ask about filing my plate request parallel to Rivians filing. They suggested I ask to have Rivian file title only, then I could file registration myself. Anyone have success with that?

From DMV. “Thank you for contacting Oregon DMV.

As agents representing Oregon DMV, at the time of purchase dealerships should honor customer requests for plate transfer or specific registration plate type, or offer the submission of title transfer only.”

Their final suggestion was to file a complaint with Oregon DMV if Rivian wouldn’t do either.

Last edited:

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
Remember you have to pay a out of state tax as rivian does not a a dealer in Oregon

Iam moving my title and registration to Wyoming llc when it arrives for transfer.

OP
OP
webfootdawg

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Remember you have to pay a out of state tax as rivian does not a a dealer in Oregon

Iam moving my title and registration to Wyoming llc when it arrives for transfer.
The fees they pitched did not include any out of state taxes. I'm an Oregon resident. No sales tax in Oregon, save a small "convenience fee" the state charges on all new car sales in the state.

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Design
Correct
I bought property in sisters in early 90”s for the purpose of supporting the lancair/ Columbia aircraft industry.

As an Oregon resident I stil paid tax as rivian is not a dealer in Oregon.
.5 perfect tax on the sale
I have a 6 month temp plate from Illinois.

Sponsored

OP
OP
webfootdawg

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Correct
I bought property in sisters in early 90”s for the purpose of supporting the lancair/ Columbia aircraft industry.

As an Oregon resident I stil paid tax as rivian is not a dealer in Oregon.
.5 perfect tax on the sale
I have a 6 month temp plate from Illinois.

My purchase agreement docs and payment don't include any sales tax.

Just the Privilege :rolleyes: tax.

My temporary tag is TBD, hopefully I'll see it s00n.

About vehicle taxes

Two Oregon vehicle taxes began January 1, 2018:

• The Vehicle Privilege Tax is a tax for the privilege of selling vehicles in Oregon.
  • The Vehicle Use Tax applies to vehicles purchased from dealers outside of Oregon that are required to be registered and titled in Oregon.
One-half of 1 percent (.005) is due on the retail price of any taxable vehicle.

https://www.oregon.gov/dor/programs/businesses/pages/vehicle-privilege-and-use-taxes.aspx

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Design
That’s correct

GENiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hello Oregonian, I was wondering how this transferring process went and were you able to use the plate from another vehicle?

OP
OP
webfootdawg

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Follow up to my own question.

Ultimately my guide was able to get a me a self registration packet for Oregon delivery. Picked up the car on a Friday, packet was on my doorstep Monday in express mail.

I took the Rivian, with 20" ATs, into it's native environment, and trudged across the Whole Foods Parking lot to the Lake Oswego DMV, papers in hand. I was missing one, thing, I hadn't paid the OR privelge tax to department of Revenue. DMV won't process, they just need the code from the Dept of Revenue certificate. I was able to complete it online during 2.5 hour wait. In addition to the MCO from Rivian and the OR state title/registration form, I also had the Disabled Vetaran plate application and proof of VA disability.

My suspicions were confirmed, plate waives all of the EV fees. Total cost:
Dept of Revenue: $394
DMV title/registration/plate fee: $232.50
TOTAL: $626.50

Rivian title/registration cost was $1073.50

Last edited:

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Follow up to my own question.

Ultimately my guide was able to get a me a self registration packet for Oregon delivery. Picked up the car on a Friday, packet was on my doorstep Monday in express mail.

I took the Rivian, with 20" ATs, into it's native environment, and trudged across the Whole Foods Parking lot to the Lake Oswego DMV, papers in hand. I was missing one, thing, I hadn't paid the OR privelge tax to department of Revenue. DMV won't process, they just need the code from the Dept of Revenue certificate. I was able to complete it online during 2.5 hour wait. In addition to the MCO from Rivian and the OR state title/registration form, I also had the Disabled Vetaran plate application and proof of VA disability.

My suspicions were confirmed, plate waives all of the EV fees. Total cost:
Dept of Revenue: $394
DMV title/registration/plate fee: $232.50
TOTAL: $626.50

Rivian title/registration cost was $1073.50
Well done! I’d rather have self registered. Rivian’s third party calculated my fees incorrectly and the OR DMV sent me a nasty gram (to an old address nonetheless, an issue on Rivian) 6 weeks later. To their credit, Rivian said they’d handle it all, but I’d rather have done it myself and selected my preferred plates in addition to opting for 1-2 year registration. The new vehicle registration is 4 years, but I’ll be moving in 12-24 months so a lot of that registration fee will be forfeited.
Sponsored