First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Much discussion of OPD. If your opinion is not exactly matched by one of the choices (e.g. you don't like it becaue it can only be turned on or off but think you would love it if there were more levels) put that in the replies.
Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Need to add one more option:

I have extensive experience with One Pedal Driving and use different level of braking depending on the driving conditions and needs.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
One pedal is great for city driving and for the control over regen … Tesla, Rivian and Ford have implemented a smooth system – the transition from stopped to creeping is fluid and easily controlled (for parking and maneuvering,) the transition from stopped to acceleration is smooth (not the best in Ford, but perfect in Rivian) and the transition from acceleration to coasting to deceleration is imperceptible.
I think complaints come from a lack of experience, a lack of dexterity (?) in controlling the right foot unconsciously and perhaps a general lack of ever having taken an interest in driving as a learned skill. In my experience, most Uber drivers fall into this last category … : )

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Having driven Teslas, I'm not a fan, although I'll get used to it and deal with it.

I like driving "enthusiast vehicles" and occasionally I'll drive them more aggressively than your average driver. Whether that's on a track or on canyon roads.

Being able to cover the brake while not on the accelerator is important to me and with EV regen technology, it really isn't possible anymore. It can take a split second longer to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake in an emergency situation.

It is just something I have to get used to. Not complaining. We have to adapt.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Having driven Teslas, I'm not a fan, although I'll get used to it and deal with it.

I like driving "enthusiast vehicles" and occasionally I'll drive them more aggressively than your average driver. Whether that's on a track or on canyon roads.

Being able to cover the brake while not on the accelerator is important to me and with EV regen technology, it really isn't possible anymore. It can take a split second longer to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake in an emergency situation.

It is just something I have to get used to. Not complaining. We have to adapt.
That is interesting because I think the ability to control speed by modulating the throttle as one of the best features with OPD.

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I've owned a BMW i3 REX, which was my first EV and OPD experience, and I liked it. I've rented a Model 3 for a weekend and also test drove a Model X, they were good OPD experiences as well. I owned a Hyundai Tucson PHEV and it's regen was weak, compared to the others.

The R1T is the strongest of the bunch and I love it. No problem driving most times without ever touching the brake pedal, and have gotten good at feathering to come to a stop when and where I want. It really shines on twisty mountain roads, where the OPD comes into its own. Being able to smoothly slow and speed up is amazing.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I had never driven an EV before my First Mile Drive and I tend to use coasting quite a bit and do a lot of covering the brake when I drive in an ICE vehicle. I wasn't sure how I would adjust to OPD. After 15-30 mins it felt very natural and I think after longer it would feel odd going back to normal driving (in the same way that I'd go for the phantom clutch in an automatic after driving a manual).

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Could someone explain what "covering the brake" means?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Could someone explain what "covering the brake" means?
When you come off the gas and have your foot over the brake with no pressure applied allowing for a very quick application of brakes without engaging them.

I commonly do it when in tight traffic in construction zones for example when unexpected braking is likely or when approaching an intersection with a green light that I expect to turn yellow soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Why does it take longer with EV than with ICE or with regen off? The only difference I see is that when you take your foot off the accelerator with regen there is already quite a bit of braking going on whereas with ICE or no regen there isn't any. Seems to me that with regen you are better covered. ???

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Why does it take longer with EV than with ICE or with regen off? The only difference I see is that when you take your foot off the accelerator with regen there is already quite a bit of braking going on whereas with ICE or no regen there isn't any. Seems to me that with regen you are better covered. ???
I don't understand why you still can't comprehend that it takes time to move your foot from the skinny pedal to the wide pedal. I've brought this up almost every time you argue that there is zero downside to OPD.

The only thing I can think of is you don't drive in places where everyone drives like an asshole 100% of the time.

Moving your foot takes time. That time can be the difference between an accident and stopping in time. Why can't you understand this?

Edit: I made a graphic
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1sRhdlnBxoErxEzpaKW5B7DQ_SJ6ls3LImPrtFKaMYjQ/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I started driving trucks and tractors when I was 10 years old (at the ranch). I've always purchased and owned manual transmission vehicles. I never was interested in an auto transmission. Felt like a lazy way to drive and gave you less control of the vehicle. I've also loved the stick shift for driving up and down the mountains. I've obviously driven rental cars and borrowed vehicles with auto transmissions, but almost all of my day-to-day driving has been with three pedals.

After four days with my R1T, I love OPD.

I love how easy it is to adjust speeds by feathering the one pedal up or down, and how you can effectively slow the vehicle down to a complete stop without having to coast or hit the brake pedal.

The one issue I'm having is when I need to quickly brake. There's been a few times when I need to stop faster than I know the regen will stop me. At the point, I'm lifting my foot entirely off the accelerator and on to the brake. The delay in getting my foot over to the brake, combined with the dual-action of releasing the accelerator and hitting the brake, bring the truck to a stop too quickly that I expect. I've already almost been rear ended. Maybe I just need a bit more experience.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

...I like driving "enthusiast vehicles" and occasionally I'll drive them more aggressively than your average driver. Whether that's on a track or on canyon roads.

Being able to cover the brake while not on the accelerator is important to me and with EV regen technology, it really isn't possible anymore. It can take a split second longer to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake in an emergency situation....
So couple of thoughts about the statement.

1) covering the brake only apply when coasting and when on track, one is either accelerating, even throttling (whatever the EV equivalent term is) or braking. It is rare that the driver is coasting and,

2) Do you not use left-foot braking? Many drivers use both feet, especially with a clutch pedal disappearing in favor for double clutched paddle shifters.

The best thing about regen braking is that combined with regular brakes + regen braking = greater stopping force than traditional brakes alone. In other words, greater deceleration to change speed.

Of course the mfg know this so some are regressing and relying on regen to carry heavier load for stopping, such as VW ID.3, 4, Buzz..... They all have DRUM brakes in the rear instead of discs.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I don't understand why you still can't comprehend that it takes time to move your foot from the skinny pedal to the wide pedal. I've brought this up almost every time you argue that there is zero downside to OPD.
There must be some downside. I just haven't figured out what it is yet. Every trade is just that, a trade.

The only thing I can think of is you don't drive in places where everyone drives like an asshole 100% of the time.
Washington Beltway. Only 97% of the time. Close enough?

Moving your foot takes time. That time can be the difference between an accident and stopping in time.
So there are a 4 phases:

Phase 0: Cruising along happily maintaining 60 mph

Phase 1: Idiot cuts you off so you immediately take foot off skinny pedal. TIme required to do that in Lexus: X milliseconds. Time to do that in Rivian: X millseconds

Phase 2:Move foot to fat pedal, Time required in Lexus: Y milliseconds. Time required in Rivain: Y milliseconds. Thrust during these Y millisconds in Lexus: 0. Thrust on Rivian in these Y millisconds: - T. Energy absorbed from Lexus in this time 0. Energy absorbed from Rivian in this time: -T*Y*v (v is velocity).

Phase 4: Hit fat pedal.

Why can't you understand this?
I dunno. That's what I am trying to find out. It seems to me that it takes just as long to move my foot from one pedal to the other irrespective of whether regen is on or not AND when phase 4 begins I have, with regen on, already removed energy from the car but with it off I haven't AND during phase 4 I have thrust from the friction brake augmented by the thrust from regen. Why am I worse off with regen.
Sponsored