First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3YX, Rivian R1S
Occupation
scientist
When I google how to open the charge port, it says that you can open it using the app. But for the life of me I'm not finding how to do that in the app -- what am I missing? Would someone please point me in the right direction? Thnx!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
IdaX

IdaX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3YX, Rivian R1S
Occupation
scientist

Joseph D

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
GIS Analyst
Clubs

Rivian considers the in vehicle menu pages "apps" (see camping app terminology in update 2022.31). The page that had the open charge port door (along with other vehicle controls) has been moved to the quick controls menu as of the 2024.03 software update. So the support page is confusing and needs to be updated.

Edit: IIRC at one point we could open the charge door from the phone app, but I don't have a source on if/when it was removed.

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
This is something I've ranted about numerous times. It's so seemingly minor (and presumably easy to integrate since the charge door is powered already), but infuriating to have to unlock the truck just to tap the charging port and then immediately re-lock.

That said, I'd be shocked if this isn't added in a future OTA (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I guess I've never understood the use-case for opening the charge port on a locked Rivan from the app. When and why would you want to do this?

marbro67

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
employed
I guess I've never understood the use-case for opening the charge port on a locked Rivian from the app. When and why would you want to do this?
I can share my use case. My employer has 3 parking stalls with 2 chargers. its common that when someone vacates a charger they plug it into the person waiting in the queue. by default the R1T closes the charging port when the vehicle locks and I am unaware of a method to force it to stay open. My coworkers will often txt me that a charger is open and offer to plug it in. This is where I would appreciate the opportunity to remotely open the port.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
OK. That makes sense, thanks. Still a very niche use-case though, as I'm sure you will agree.

GogglesPisano

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I can share my use case. My employer has 3 parking stalls with 2 chargers. its common that when someone vacates a charger they plug it into the person waiting in the queue. by default the R1T closes the charging port when the vehicle locks and I am unaware of a method to force it to stay open. My coworkers will often txt me that a charger is open and offer to plug it in. This is where I would appreciate the opportunity to remotely open the port.
As a work around...You can remotely unlock your car and whoever is there to charge it can tap the charge port open button on the fender. Then you can lock it again.
Sponsored