Sponsored

Onboard air compressor inaccurate or tpms?

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
The key is consistency, i.e. go by the same tool/gauge as much as you can. Too many variables involved to influence measurement results. So reduce inconsistency by sticking with 1 constant. A few psi difference might irk your OCD tendencies, if you have it, but not going to make much difference in normal driving. Even while driving or parked (with partial exposure to sunlight) you will see the same or worse psi delta at each tire. In general, regardless of what car it is, always good to keep a good quality gauge, with release valve, so you have a consistent way to measure, verify or fine tune pressures to a ballpark equilibrium.
Sponsored

cwintermeyer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Adventure Quad, 2023 Wrangler 392 XR
Occupation
Software exec
I recently tried my R1S compressor for the first time. I used it with a MORRFlate quad hose kit to air up the 20" Pirellis after off-roading in Moab. When the compressor shut off at a 50 psi target the MORRFlate digital gauge read 53 psi. When I got back on the road the first TPMS reading was 50 psi for all four tires.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

TPMS reads a little high but has high accuracy - it's reliably 1-2 PSI high all around; but the compressor is *MASSIVELY* inaccurate/variable. I set it to 50 PSI, inflated all four tires after airing down for some sand driving, and once TPMS re-calibrated, my four tires were between 45 and 55 PSI.

WilcoFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wondering if anyone else had issue when using onboard air compressor to pump tires, I set to 50 psi and pumped up all tires, they read +7 to +9 higher onboard, dash says I’m running from 57 to 59psi, seems like a big difference, wondering which system is correct…
I had the same issue once Chicago got cold. TPMS said my tires were at 40 and needed to be increased to 48 psi. I went to the compressor and targeted 48 and nothing happened. Then realized that the compressor was reading them to be at 48 psi already. Called Rivian and they said to check with a 3rd instrument, and that showed that the TPMS was the correct one. I had a service appointment set up already for another minor issue and so added that onto he ticket.

The service center said this is a common problem. They fixed the compressor and now it works correctly and agrees with the TPMS.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
My air compressor used to be dead on; now it’s 7-9 psi high. I measure with a digital air pressure gauge and deflate to get to 48 psi. TPMS matches digital gauge closely.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
My TPMS typically runs about 2 lbs. below what my digital gauge shows. Don’t know about the compressor, but that is not something I would ever depend on for accurate readings. It will pump air and get you close, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect much more. For accurate readings, check tire pressure with a proper digital gauge.
Sponsored