CommonSense

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Panamera Turbo S e-H; Cayenne Turbo; +5
Clubs

Sorry, I screwed up the Dumb & Dumber reference, it should have been "So you are telling me..."
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Tell them it "best I can determine it looks like a quart or more" leaked out. That would then constitute a "safety issue" as a blown drive unit while driving could have catastrophic consequences. You're supposed to be an automotive expert now? Your new vehicle has a vehicle leak.. fix it. Why is it up to the owner to determine if something like a fluid leak will leave them stranded or worse? It could be a seal getting ready to completely fail and release all the fluid... no one can determine that without a proper examination by a trained technician, not a wild ass guess by the vehicle owner.

I can see Rivian not paying for flat bed service for cosmetic issues, but fluid leaks from drive units are a completely different matter.

CommonSense

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Panamera Turbo S e-H; Cayenne Turbo; +5
Clubs

Just to conclude this adventure, I drove the vehicle back to the service center. They found the problem quickly. It was not fluid from the suspension, but rather the oil inside the drive unit. A filter plug had been cross-threaded in assembly. To be safe they are going to replace the whole drive unit and will flatbed the R1S back to me when it is fixed.

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Solutions Architect / Developer
Clubs

Just came across this today with my R1S - 33k miles / about a year of ownership next month. Called, and they are bringing a flat bed tomorrow morning to take to the service center. They don't want me to drive it another mile. I'll let you know what they say. I submitted ticket, got call in 30 minutes, and flat bed tomorrow with uber credits and a rental.

Rivian R1T R1S Oil leak - maybe rear drive? [RESOLVED] 20231024_081249

Rivian R1T R1S Oil leak - maybe rear drive? [RESOLVED] 20231024_081252

Rivian R1T R1S Oil leak - maybe rear drive? [RESOLVED] 20231024_192905

Rivian R1T R1S Oil leak - maybe rear drive? [RESOLVED] 20231024_192918

Sponsored

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Just came across this today with my R1S - 33k miles / about a year of ownership next month. Called, and they are bringing a flat bed tomorrow morning to take to the service center. They don't want me to drive it another mile. I'll let you know what they say. I submitted ticket, got call in 30 minutes, and flat bed tomorrow with uber credits and a rental.

20231024_081249.jpg

20231024_081252.jpg

20231024_192905.jpg

20231024_192918.jpg
Just curious what this ended up being? Rear drive unit leaking oil? Was it the rear drive disconnects by chance? Mine failed and I had a similar looking leak.

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Clubs

Just curious what this ended up being? Rear drive unit leaking oil? Was it the rear drive disconnects by chance? Mine failed and I had a similar looking leak.
It was a rear unit disconnect. They said third one they've seen there at Cincinnati SC since opening this past spring. Wondering how often this happens... Seems like something to look into as an issue that needs fixed.

pticknerco

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Chevy Duramax, Mazda CX5
It was a rear unit disconnect. They said third one they've seen there at Cincinnati SC since opening this past spring. Wondering how often this happens... Seems like something to look into as an issue that needs fixed.
Just looked under my R1T, and I've got almost the identical oil pattern on the undercarriage. I called Service, and they told me not to drive it as it is a safety issue. Then they told me that I'll basically have to front a $1600 tow bill to the service center, and they will pay if it's determined to be a warranty issue. Please tell me yours was covered under warranty!
Rivian R1T R1S Oil leak - maybe rear drive? [RESOLVED] IMG_1099
Rivian R1T R1S Oil leak - maybe rear drive? [RESOLVED] IMG_1098

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Clubs

Just looked under my R1T, and I've got almost the identical oil pattern on the undercarriage. I called Service, and they told me not to drive it as it is a safety issue. Then they told me that I'll basically have to front a $1600 tow bill to the service center, and they will pay if it's determined to be a warranty issue. Please tell me yours was covered under warranty!
IMG_1099.jpeg
IMG_1098.jpeg
What the heck they covered the tow and everything right up front. Are you sure they weren't just giving you the heads up you would be on the hook if it wasn't covered by warrenty? They told me that on the phone - I understood but I never had to pay for it upfront. Keep us updated - this drive unit disconnect thing seems to pop up more then I'm comfortable with :/
Sponsored