Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I get that there have been issues, but the primary problem is likely that this is a new company that has a higher error rate than established companies.
Most of the time you are insulated from the problems by the dealership. If something is damaged at the dealer, they aren't going to tell you.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I appreciate people's frustrations (and they are justified), but Tesla had similar issues. Even during the model 3 launch, which was six years after they started shipping Model S, it was a mess. We had our 2018 model 3 get lost in shipping for a week - Tesla could not find it. We had fully paid for it in cash before it left California (stupid Texas law). We had sold our old car and it was gone. Model 3 MIA. Could not get any answers. Then a week later it was suddenly ready for pickup. It had been in Houston for several days even though they were telling us it was lost. It was insane.

FWIW, a few months from now you will have forgotten all about it. But right now it just sucks. Been there.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I appreciate people's frustrations (and they are justified), but Tesla had similar issues. Even during the model 3 launch, which was six years after they started shipping Model S, it was a mess. We had our 2018 model 3 get lost in shipping for a week - Tesla could not find it. We had fully paid for it in cash before it left California (stupid Texas law). We had sold our old car and it was gone. Model 3 MIA. Could not get any answers. Then a week later it was suddenly ready for pickup. It had been in Houston for several days even though they were telling us it was lost. It was insane.

FWIW, a few months from now you will have forgotten all about it. But right now it just sucks. Been there.
You are too nuanced for the internet my friend.

We don't come to vent on forums for reason.

We come to RAGEEEEEEE!!!!!!

/joke

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It's quite simple. The majority of deliveries are to your home and require the logistics and expense of transport to get it there. It's unreasonable to expect a company to flatbed your truck to your house just for you to refuse delivery because of fixable cosmetic issues. You also have the return option that you don't with a traditional dealer.

Also, I think it would literally be illegal in states like TX for them to handle the transaction any other way due to direct sales laws. I cannot hand them a certified check in my driveway for the vehicle after I inspect it.

Lastly, even if none of the above were true and there was zero reason to ask for payment upfront, Rivian still has the leverage to do so and you're in the extreme minority of people that may not be willing to accept it at this time, so they have no reason to change policy. Perhaps that changes in the future, but not right now. They'll gladly proceed to the thousands of other people happy to wire them money in advance.
This is not at all what I said. I realize Rivian must have the money before giving you the truck.

I'm suggesting that you complete all steps, schedule the delivery, and then only pay for it after the service center has completed the final post delivery inspection. This is the step screwing a lot of people over. They pay only to find out the car was damaged after payment while on the way to the service center. If the delivery is canceled, Rivian holds the money until final delivery occurs which can take several weeks or more according to posts on these forums.

This is completely avoidable by only paying once the service center completes their inspections.

You seem to imply Rivian demands payment prior to this step... But that's incorrect.

People are choosing to pay early despite Rivian not requiring this.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This is not at all what I said. I realize Rivian must have the money before giving you the truck.

I'm suggesting that you complete all steps, schedule the delivery, and then only pay for it after the service center has completed the final post delivery inspection. This is the step screwing a lot of people over. They pay only to find out the car was damaged after payment while on the way to the service center. If the delivery is canceled, Rivian holds the money until final delivery occurs which can take several weeks or more according to posts on these forums.

This is completely avoidable by only paying once the service center completes their inspections.

You seem to imply Rivian demands payment prior to this step... But that's incorrect.

You're correct. That is an option and one I exercised (reminded of this option by Rivian Insurance). The steps do NOT have to be done sequentially. I held off on Financing, Insurance and Payment until I confirmed directly with the SC that all inspections were passed, even though delivery was scheduled as soon as they received the truck but before those inspections. My guess is they will correct that and only reach out/schedule delivery after the SC inspection process.

So the blame is shared between over eager buyers and the system that allows them to be.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson

Does Rivian allow this? Because this would be the answer.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Does Rivian allow this? Because this would be the answer.
Yes... This is the point I've been making. Rivian allows you to make payment at any time up until delivery.

Some people exercised the "option" to pay early, and it's not working out well for those people with vehicles needing issues addressed based on the inspections.

I don't think we can fault those early buyers because they may not have realized they had the option to hold off on transferring the money, but now that enough people have been burned by this it's up to the future buyers to avoid this pitfall.

OP
OP
Citibeach

Citibeach

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Occupation
Self
Lots of misconceptions on this thread. First off when my guide connected with me and announced that it was time to go through the 8 steps, I did just that. The only one I couldn’t complete was the insurance part becuse I didn’t have the vin.

The paying part was no financing, but linking my bank account to Rivian so they could confirm I had the funds to pay for the truck. I didn’t send the money over to them, I just linked the account.
I then was able to pick a delivery date that was three days later. That date was cancelled within 5 hours, with no information at all other then it was cancelled. So without a Vin#, and now no delivery date, I was back to square one. It was the next day that I noticed that Rivian pulled 83,000 out of my bank account. I was surprised. My guide was clueless, so I went to the Venice hub to seek direct answers. They were very helpful and put me together on an email with a few managers. Two days later my guide called to tell me why my delivery was cancelled, it was a paint issue, and said she would be in touch. 5 days later I received a new delivery date, which was today, but that was cancelled two days ago. So today I received another delivery date, which is now Sunday. We shall see.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Thanks for the update! Sounds like they're trying to get your butt in a truck.

Sponsored

Taxmuni

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Audi A7 SUV
Occupation
E-commerce website
And once again two days before my delivery they cancel my delivery. Truck paid for, insurance set and they cancel again. Holy crap. This time I’m making them rent a car for me so I can give my car to the person that bought it before they change their mind. This is getting stupid. I’m so glad I sold the stock on the second day of trading at 120 and never looked back. At this point they deserve to be trading below a 20 billion market cap. I’m thinking a new CEO might be in order.
Was supposed to receive my R1T Wed, May 12. All paid for, 8 steps done, no trade, did my part.

Sunday May 9 app notification truck didnt pass inspection... canceled. It is May 23 (2 weeks later) and I still don't have a VIN, but Rivian is fully-paid. Oh, detail shop I scheduled for Xpel Stealth PPF tried to charge me a no-show fee!!

Like many, Rivian agreed to reimburse a rental car; as I had a contract to sell my car (that passed buyer inspection).

Why do trucks leave the factory without a full inspection? This was discovered at the Service Center level!

So I am driving around a crummy 2022 Ford "Edge" for transport, that (I feel) I paid $80K for.

Plenty of R1T's being delivered in the past 2 weeks and mine was an easy one: White, Black Mountain (I would take FE too), 20" AT, Skid Plate. My Guide is doing the best job he can (Adam) given the circumstance.

Asked for a loaner R1T in any color... fat chance

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Why do trucks leave the factory without a full inspection? This was discovered at the Service Center level!
I'm not sure what does/doesn't happen at the factory but it is standard for legacy car dealers to do a pre-delivery inspection and resolve any issues before a car is sold to a customer. It seems Rivian does the same but with service centers replacing the dealership service department.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I remember years ago with Tesla you could go through a purchase as "cash" which would let you get through all the steps right up to picking up at a service center. On delivery day once you were ready to go you could change to the "finance" option in your account to initiate the loan process and be on your way after a few minutes.

Agree that there's been enough experience to confirm no one should be paying in full unless they're ok with potentially not having a vehicle for a while. For my clairty I'd like to see what step to avoid, it seems like there's a proof of funds step where a bank account is linked. If it's just as simple as not linking an account which sounds like it can be drawn against, then that's simple enough.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm not sure what does/doesn't happen at the factory but it is standard for legacy car dealers to do a pre-delivery inspection and resolve any issues before a car is sold to a customer. It seems Rivian does the same but with service centers replacing the dealership service department.
Vehicles can be damaged in transit so giving a final inspection at a service center is acceptable. The issue appears to be there's more than just a couple of these damage incidents (and/or an insufficient factory inspection prior to transport) and the guides have no real insight. I'm not really sure how it's more efficient to confirm a delivery just to have it cancelled a day or two later.

I'm nearly sold on the idea the inconsistent guide experiences could come down to certain guides just going above and beyond matching their customers to whatever vehicles make sense while others let the actual "process", whatever it may be, unfold.

Taxmuni

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Audi A7 SUV
Occupation
E-commerce website
And once again two days before my delivery they cancel my delivery. Truck paid for, insurance set and they cancel again. Holy crap. This time I’m making them rent a car for me so I can give my car to the person that bought it before they change their mind. This is getting stupid. I’m so glad I sold the stock on the second day of trading at 120 and never looked back. At this point they deserve to be trading below a 20 billion market cap. I’m thinking a new CEO might be in order.
Are you being told that once your new R1T is "Factory Gated" they will provide a VIN number? What does Factory Gated mean? and how long does that take? Is that when it is raw materials and doesn't even have an assigned skateboard chassis or body? Could take a week or two to build from raw materials and then inspect and deliver.
Sponsored