Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
I've never done anything remotely off-road in my life. But with my R1S reservation—plus seeing the MT videos and others—I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be something I'd like to try.

So here's my 100% newb question from someone who commutes on paved roads, travels to Walmart, etc. (basically every stereotype you can think of): How do you find places to go off-roading? I live in Kentucky (work in Louisville, live south of there—fairly rural) so I would imagine there are plenty of opportunities... but I haven't the slightest clue where to begin.

I could absolutely google this but I wanted to see what you all thought. Plus, this particular sub-forum is pretty sparse and it needed something to fill the space, so why not? I also wonder how many others are in the same boat as me. Anyone else out there a suburbanite paved-roads-only kinda person that is suddenly considering testing the off-roading waters?
Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
I've never done anything remotely off-road in my life. But with my R1S reservation—plus seeing the MT videos and others—I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be something I'd like to try.

So here's my 100% newb question from someone who commutes on paved roads, travels to Walmart, etc. (basically every stereotype you can think of): How do you find places to go off-roading? I live in Kentucky (work in Louisville, live south of there—fairly rural) so I would imagine there are plenty of opportunities... but I haven't the slightest clue where to begin.

I could absolutely google this but I wanted to see what you all thought. Plus, this particular sub-forum is pretty sparse and it needed something to fill the space, so why not? I also wonder how many others are in the same boat as me. Anyone else out there a suburbanite paved-roads-only kinda person that is suddenly considering testing the off-roading waters?
I was also new to it a few years ago, and I find that AllTrails is a great place to start.

https://www.alltrails.com/us/kentucky

You can filter to what activity you want to do.

Rivian R1T R1S Off-roading Newb Question 1631293115076

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
You can search for local 4x4 clubs in your area and look up national, state or county forest land near you. If you are near a national forest then download the MVUM (multi vehicle use map) for it to know which roads and trails are legal for vehicles.

OP
OP
kommonplace

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
A starting clarification - lots of the time "offroading" is really just the freedom to follow forest service roads, logging roads, etc. with little concern that you'll have to turn around due to a minor washout or other deterioration. Outside of OHV-park wheeling and rock crawling, most "off-roading" is really "primitive-roading."

There are very few (functionally no) places in the country where you can responsibly just drive in a random direction on an unimproved surface.

So with that said, things like AllTrails, parks services websites, etc. are a good place to start. Look at access roads for trailheads and ask yourself what happens if you keep going. Take that forest service exit off the highway and poke around in the trails until you hit a locked gate. Bring camping supplies and set up shop in the woods with some friends for dispersed camping. It's fun! Just don't try to charge directly into the bush - you'll get stuck and ruin some perfectly good nature.

There are often GPX tracks of scenic/cross-country routes in local communities for like overlanding, ADV motorcycling, and 4x4 search and rescue. The latter in particular is a great way to meet up with like-minded folks who know what they're doing, can help if you get stuck, and have found a (thin ?) justification for the sport.

Look for local forums and get to know folks and see what they recommend. In the PNW/West the Backcountry Discovery Route organization (https://ridebdr.com/) is great but I don't think they have anything in Kentucky yet.

Finally - respect private property and be careful. I've been chased off of ranchland that I unintentionally encroached on, and a friend has been shot at for crossing the wrong stretch of woods. Rivians are less obnoxious than most rigs, but nobody wants a 4x4 in their pumpkin patch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kommonplace

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
A starting clarification - lots of the time "offroading" is really just the freedom to follow forest service roads, logging roads, etc. with little concern that you'll have to turn around due to a minor washout or other deterioration. Outside of OHV-park wheeling and rock crawling, most "off-roading" is really "primitive-roading."

There are very few (functionally no) places in the country where you can responsibly just drive in a random direction on an unimproved surface.

So with that said, things like AllTrails, parks services websites, etc. are a good place to start. Look at access roads for trailheads and ask yourself what happens if you keep going. Take that forest service exit off the highway and poke around in the trails until you hit a locked gate. Bring camping supplies and set up shop in the woods with some friends for dispersed camping. It's fun! Just don't try to charge directly into the bush - you'll get stuck and ruin some perfectly good nature.

There are often GPX tracks of scenic/cross-country routes in local communities for like overlanding, ADV motorcycling, and 4x4 search and rescue. The latter in particular is a great way to meet up with like-minded folks who know what they're doing, can help if you get stuck, and have found a (thin ?) justification for the sport.

Look for local forums and get to know folks and see what they recommend. In the PNW/West the Backcountry Discovery Route organization (https://ridebdr.com/) is great but I don't think they have anything in Kentucky yet.

Finally - respect private property and be careful. I've been chased off of ranchland that I unintentionally encroached on, and a friend has been shot at for crossing the wrong stretch of woods. Rivians are less obnoxious than most rigs, but nobody wants a 4x4 in their pumpkin patch.
All great information. Thank you. And I have to say, "Look at access roads for trailheads and ask yourself what happens if you keep going. Take that forest service exit off the highway and poke around in the trails until you hit a locked gate." made my palms start sweating already! Those are thoughts that have definitely never crossed my mind before. But now I will be keeping my eyes open for such opportunities. Thanks again.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
All great information. Thank you. And I have to say, "Look at access roads for trailheads and ask yourself what happens if you keep going. Take that forest service exit off the highway and poke around in the trails until you hit a locked gate." made my palms start sweating already! Those are thoughts that have definitely never crossed my mind before. But now I will be keeping my eyes open for such opportunities. Thanks again.
No problem! And I know what you mean - I'm trying to line up a bikepacking trip this weekend but my Model Y doesn't have enough clearance for the access road, and my CJ doesn't have room for our mountain bikes and dog... visions of my R1T dancing in my head ?

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I don't know about KY but I have a homebase in both CA and in CO, states crawling with outdoor adventurers so there are lots of resources.

Amazon sells a few well-reviewed guides:

I'm guessing someone has probably written similar guides for other parts of the US?

While I like AllTrails for finding running/hiking paths, I would be a little cautious about driving down into a ravine based on a trail that someone internet random gave five stars... :)

This thread does make me curious about what kind of apps we might expect to ship with Rivian or (even better) what the default Rivian map/GPS will be capable of. Probably some experts here who can attest to their value but a number of off-roap map/GPS apps have been available for years and many of them are available on ios/android (https://nupgrade.com/best-off-road-gps-apps-for-android-and-ios/).

Would be super cool if some of this functionality where already built into the Rivian.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I'm in the same boat. I did some light adventuring in my college days, going down logging and forest service roads (usually with someone else's vehicle). Once or twice in my Buick Century, as well; that thing was a monster. But it's been a good 20 years and 5 states since those days. Going to have to make some good use cases for my new R1S.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

It used to be you get the books like stated above that's what I am used to. I'm sure there will be local events happening through this forum where we can get together and go hit a trail. Especially if any of you are beginners I cant stress enough don't go alone go with a group or at least another truck.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All I can offer is if you find trails that aren't on the map and look like they have only seen ATV traffic, there might be a reason...
Rivian R1T R1S Off-roading Newb Question Fn9rfL6

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

All I can offer is if you find trails that aren't on the map and look like they have only seen ATV traffic, there might be a reason...
Fn9rfL6.jpg
Nice plate! I've looked like this on multiple truck trails but then again Hummer.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Consider taking an offroad driving course. Lots of the safety training companies and organizations offer them.

join a club

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I like using the Charles wells books which were mentioned earlier and its nice to have all the trails rated by difficulty and a description of what to expect. I'm lucky to be in an area with countless miles of roads and trails on national forest and blm land as well as some areas in the desert that are open to roam. Today a friend and I went up 21 road which is a trail that is a bit of a 'choose your own adventure' of obstacles!

Rivian R1T R1S Off-roading Newb Question 20210911_103907

Rivian R1T R1S Off-roading Newb Question 20210911_100612

Rivian R1T R1S Off-roading Newb Question 20210911_141409

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Fn9rfL6.jpg
Or they turn into single track unexpectedly - not that it's ever happened to me...
Sponsored