Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Great thread. For the very inexperienced like myself, can you guys give some guidance on when to “air down” the tires and by how much?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Great thread. For the very inexperienced like myself, can you guys give some guidance on when to “air down” the tires and by how much?

thanks in advance.
As a general rule, always air down off road.

How much is highly dependent on the wheels and tires you are running. The combination of a heavy vehicle and limited sidewall with the R1 severely limits the amount you can air down even with good tires and wheels. Where I run 8 to 12 lb in my TJ, I seldom air down lower than 25 lb in the R1; even running heavy case off-road tires. Stock Pirelli's I would not advise airing down any lower than 30 PSI.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
As a general rule, always air down off road.

How much is highly dependent on the wheels and tires you are running. The combination of a heavy vehicle and limited sidewall with the R1 severely limits the amount you can air down even with good tires and wheels. Where I run 8 to 12 lb in my TJ, I seldom air down lower than 25 lb in the R1; even running heavy case off-road tires. Stock Pirelli's I would not advise airing down any lower than 30 PSI.
And to add, IIRC, at one point 30 psi was printed in Owner Guide as recommended air-down pressure for the factory spec Pirelli AT. Unless updated/removed, it might still be in there.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Stock Pirelli's I would not advise airing down any lower than 30 PSI.
And to add, IIRC, at one point 30 psi was printed in Owner Guide as recommended air-down pressure for the factory spec Pirelli AT. Unless updated/removed, it might still be in there.
The current version of the Owner's Guide still has ~ 30 PSI as a recommendation when Off-roading. 31 PSI to be exact for the 20's and 21's.

34 PSI for the 22's when offroading is minimum recommended by Rivian

I've only heard or read of someone going into the low 20's PSI with the OEM 20's and claiming it worked fine in those conditions (soft sand dunes).

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/features/rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-rebelle-rally/

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

A big advantage to the having the traction control on, is avoiding damage. It's pretty easy to blow out a CV or diff for ham footed people. Once a wheel in the air gets a bunch of speed and slams back into the ground, parts tend to break from the shock.

The advantage to having traction control off or reduced is a decline in motor stall. To minimize this issue, keep a steady throttle and avoid stopping on obstacles where possible. This is where Locking diffs do so well because you can stop for spotting and go ultra slow to prevent damage. Even ICE traction control systems like at least 1500rpm of engine speed to work properly. Many inexperienced drivers tend to stab at the throttle which confuses these systems.

This applies to both DM and QM.
For airing down, typically half the road pressure is a good starting point.

Last edited:

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

I've done a fair amount of offroading and some sketchy rock crawling in my R1T and I agree that the quad motor setup is inferior to mechanical lockers.

If Rivian would offer lockers in the DM some day that would be amazing. Does anyone know if this is in the pipeline?

I plan on getting a Bronco in the next year or so for the really challenging stuff, but for now it's a blast off-roading in complete silence.
Sponsored