First Name
Karthi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.5
Occupation
Sr. Director Clinical Development
Keep sharing - appreciate all the information. I’m likely getting mine in 2023 but good to hear the challenges and steps y’all are taking here in NC.
Sponsored

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Got my packet back from Rivian this week to do self registration. Going to try to do in Lenoir instead of Charlotte since that office is usually not very busy, and the folks there are country folks which will help me vs the city folk in Charlotte. Was wondering if any of you registered in both you and your spouse's names and if they required both of you to be there to get the plates? I'm hoping not, otherwise we're back to dealing with them city folks!

Also asked my guide when i'd get the refund check mentioned in their letter. She said "separate department handles that" and I'd get it from them. Not sure how long this will take, but would prefer to have my $3000 back from Rivian before i fork it out to the state.
You’ll need to have your wife notarize the title application with you. We did ours at UPS Store. Her sig on COO doesn’t need notary but she will, of course, need to sign it prior to you going to DMV. Then have a copy of her DL with you to take to DMV and she won’t have to come to DMV with you.

kflee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo
Clubs

Received my plate yesterday! 3 Week turnaround time. Looks like Rivian may have the process down now.

Kirk

OP
OP

howler99

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX 350
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Oh wow, there is hope! Rivian told me mine would be ready on 8/10. I remain a little skeptical, but sounds like they're making progress.

I'm surprised how many NC Rivian owner there are!

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Oh wow, there is hope! Rivian told me mine would be ready on 8/10. I remain a little skeptical, but sounds like they're making progress.

I'm surprised how many NC Rivian owner there are!
…and I’d sure like to be one them!

Sponsored

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, I self-registered with NCDMV at the license plate agency office on July 13 (delivery on June 28; I asked guide and he said I could self register to expedite, and to get the right weight on the plates). I received my refund check from Rivian today, refunding the sales tax, documentation fee, and registration/titling. I increased weight from 9,000 on the original Rivian documents to 15,000 pounds, to cover my boat trailer.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
FWIW, I self-registered with NCDMV at the license plate agency office on July 13 (delivery on June 28; I asked guide and he said I could self register to expedite, and to get the right weight on the plates). I received my refund check from Rivian today, refunding the sales tax, documentation fee, and registration/titling. I increased weight from 9,000 on the original Rivian documents to 15,000 pounds, to cover my boat trailer.
Was the amount rivian refunded the right amount charged at the dmv?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I hope everyone on this NC thread is talking with your NC State Representative and Senator! Come January we will need all hands on deck to get a New Bill through both houses to enable Rivian to build some SC in our state.

OP
OP

howler99

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX 350
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Quick update - I got my tag last week about the time Rivian said it was coming.

That's the good news. Now there is nearly $500 ad valorem tax due for a 2022 sticker.

And what's this weighted tag thing anyway?

Sponsored

DinNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - LE/LG/BM/20” Dark
I received my NC plates yesterday and was expecting weighted / commercial but they were standard. Did anyone else receive standard as well or did Rivian not do something correctly in the registration process? The transaction summary does not show a license weight (actually says 0) but the weight category is “Less than 16,000 lbs”…

RivLiam

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So lots of googling later it looks like the general rule I can find(not on anything official because why would it be that easy NC?) is that if the truck and it's max payload are *able to exceed* 9k lbs you need a weighted tag. SUV DO NOT apply to the same rules because you can't (maybe shouldn't) fill the back of your R1S with a ton of gravel while towing a boat or camper. Theoretically if you're towing the 11k max trailer and have a ton of dirt in the truck you'll be over thus the weighted tag is necessary. Hope that clears some stuff up for everyone! Please please correct me if I'm wrong! Also my calculated weight and annual cost is attached if anyone's crunching numbers.
Rivian R1T R1S North Carolina R1T Registration PXL_20230128_220215283

RivLiam

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I received my NC plates yesterday and was expecting weighted / commercial but they were standard. Did anyone else receive standard as well or did Rivian not do something correctly in the registration process? The transaction summary does not show a license weight (actually says 0) but the weight category is “Less than 16,000 lbs”…
Hey buddy just looked everything up - trucks are treated differently than SUV's for weight capacity so you *should* be good but I'm curious what ended up happening with yours

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
So lots of googling later it looks like the general rule I can find(not on anything official because why would it be that easy NC?) is that if the truck and it's max payload are *able to exceed* 9k lbs you need a weighted tag. SUV DO NOT apply to the same rules because you can't (maybe shouldn't) fill the back of your R1S with a ton of gravel while towing a boat or camper. Theoretically if you're towing the 11k max trailer and have a ton of dirt in the truck you'll be over thus the weighted tag is necessary. Hope that clears some stuff up for everyone! Please please correct me if I'm wrong! Also my calculated weight and annual cost is attached if anyone's crunching numbers.
PXL_20230128_220215283.jpg
Is your yearly taxes included in this amount? Weighted tag and EV fees should be more than a couple hundred.
Sponsored