Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Can't do a flyover, but i did a drive by about 3 weeks ago and i can tell you there are not any parking lots full of R1Ts or R1S's. In fact, there was so much going on at the plant that all the main parking lots at the front of the facility were full to the point i couldn't find anyplace to park and go inside. They had a remote parking lot about a half mile up the road where they had anyone going to the plant park, but they had a security guard there so i didn't try to go in. It looked like at the back side of that lot was the experience center where DuckTruck and the rest had their event. I could see one Blue R1T in the distance, but that was it.

On the flip side, you have no idea how big this place is until you drive by it. It's enormous and it just keeps on going and going. There is no slack in their determination to get this off the ground. To me it was like a very busy beehive with workers going in and out constantly. Will be well worth it when we get our Rivians.
Sponsored

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
This might be insane, but what else are these forums for...

I just checked and the most recent satellite images with good-enough resolution for car-counting seem to be in the $1000 range. I'm not spending that kind of dough for an image to satisfy my curiosity. But I'd pay $5! If 200 of us chip in $5, we'd have an image from the last week or so with detailed info about cars in the parking lot. Just a thought. Or we could wait for more sensible sources information, which will surely emerge sOOn.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
This might be insane, but what else are these forums for...

I just checked and the most recent satellite images with good-enough resolution for car-counting seem to be in the $1000 range. I'm not spending that kind of dough for an image to satisfy my curiosity. But I'd pay $5! If 200 of us chip in $5, we'd have an image from the last week or so with detailed info about cars in the parking lot. Just a thought. Or we could wait for more sensible sources information, which will surely emerge sOOn.
Good thought, but now I’m thinking we start a GoFundMe campaign, and send the good folks @RivianStories to the factory in a helicopter for an overhead view to get our answer. It would make for a great video, and probably cost less than the $1k satellite image…

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Hmm … I got it from DJI’ safe flight map:

https://www.dji.com/mobile/flysafe/geo-map
Interesting!

I'm a private pilot, so I'm familiar with airspace from the manned perspective.

And at least one point while I was studying for the commercial drone license (Which I haven't taken yet) you'd need approval of ATC for any operations inside controlled airspace.

Maybe things have changed.

Regardless, whether it's the entire class D veil or just "extended runway" like DJI suggests, seems like the Rivian plant is inside it!

---

*EDIT:

Indeed, drone flight is prohibited by default inside controlled airspace.
But the FAA has a straightforward system - LAANC - setup to request approval to fly in such airspace.

What you linked to was DJI's own geo-fence map of where they won't allow their drones to fly, based on GPS, without you first performing some sort of unlock (either a self-certification or copying over your LAANC approval)

That's what you linked to.

In other words, a DJI drone near the Rivian factory *won't even takeoff* without you taking additional steps to convince DJI you have FAA approval.

More here.

Last edited:

Sponsored

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
Good thought, but now I’m thinking we start a GoFundMe campaign, and send the good folks @RivianStories to the factory in a helicopter for an overhead view to get our answer. It would make for a great video, and probably cost less than the $1k satellite image…
I would contribute!

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Definitely nothing in the north lot. When I drove by they were using part of the north lot for workers parking. Could be a few workers cars in the west parking lot but it was a Sunday. Does any know what the 2 dark builds are in the north parking lot? there was a lot af construction activity around those when I drove by.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Definitely nothing in the north lot. When I drove by they were using part of the north lot for workers parking. Could be a few workers cars in the west parking lot but it was a Sunday. Does any know what the 2 dark builds are in the north parking lot? there was a lot af construction activity around those when I drove by.
Service centre I think.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Interesting!

I'm a private pilot, so I'm familiar with airspace from the manned perspective.

And at least one point while I was studying for the commercial drone license (Which I haven't taken yet) you'd need approval of ATC for any operations inside controlled airspace.

Maybe things have changed.

Regardless, whether it's the entire class D veil or just "extended runway" like DJI suggests, seems like the Rivian plant is inside it!

---

*EDIT:

Indeed, drone flight is prohibited by default inside controlled airspace.
But the FAA has a straightforward system - LAANC - setup to request approval to fly in such airspace.

What you linked to was DJI's own geo-fence map of where they won't allow their drones to fly, based on GPS, without you first performing some sort of unlock (either a self-certification or copying over your LAANC approval)

That's what you linked to.

In other words, a DJI drone near the Rivian factory *won't even takeoff* without you taking additional steps to convince DJI you have FAA approval.

More here.
Thanks for the follow-up! Interesting stuff, and I should have known better about what the DJI map represented. I have often thought about getting a drone, but all these rules are such a big turnoff, even for me as a lawyer and former engineer/current geek. Not that I question the need for all the rules, which are extremely important for safety and keeping people reasonable with their usage in protected places! Just that I would drive myself crazy with fear that I was running afoul of something.

It does look like the factory is fairly close to the edge of the protected space, so someone could possibly get shots with a longer lens, but it’s not worth the risk of drifting into the restricted space and dealing with the fines if caught. Satellite images will have to do. Or… someone who happens to fly in the area could take a passenger with a camera on a general aviation flight to BMI on a day that has the factory in the approach or departure path. Heheh

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score