Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S; Audi All-road Wagon; Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Nearly 2 months with my R1S and I hate to admit I have no clue how the climate control works/doesn't. It baffles me... So, I just keep touching things on the screen until I get it to where I am on the way to being comfortable...and then I fumble with it some more when I get uncomfortable.... Sisyphus....
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
“The Rivian HVAC system is currently setup to provide resistive heat when the temp is set over 72 degrees. The truck will run the compressor and blow cold air when the temp is set below 66 degrees. Between 66 and 72 degrees, the HVAC will just blow ambient air.”
Let's assume it's true...I'm not sure it makes it any better.

On Auto, I don't think it automatically recirculates. Which means if you set it to 71 and your desire is heat then it will pull cold outside air into the vehicle and blow it on you, which also makes it feel colder thanks to the now generated wind chill. Even if it was on recirculate, the blowing still makes it feel cold.

Edited to be nicer...

Deleted member 7086

I have had the pleasure of this bizarre behavior happening at both extremes. 115 degrees out this past Summer and blowing hot air. This winter 25 degrees out and blowing cold air. I suspect there will be many more complaints when Summer rolls around again.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
SO MUCH EXTRANEOUS FAN NOISE!

Why is there so much noise when the fan is running 1/7?!

Turn off auto, fan speed stays same. I hear motorized baffles turning. Fan noise disappears. Hit auto,SAME FAN SPEED indicated, noise RAMPS!

what the heck did they do?

Fine, I’m addition to staring at the screen all the time to do stuff on the screen that CarPlay/AA would do for me, I now have to manually manage the HVAC too.

Geesh. Plus constant left pressure while driving.

Still beats the pants off the Honda Odysseyi had to drive last night. LOL

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So take this for what it’s worth coming from an employee over the phone.. ...

“The Rivian HVAC system is currently setup to provide resistive heat when the temp is set over 72 degrees. The truck will run the compressor and blow cold air when the temp is set below 66 degrees. Between 66 and 72 degrees, the HVAC will just blow ambient air.”
So it's 100F outside and 110F in the cabin and I set my cabin heat to 74 deg.. according to the above logic- my HVAC will be in heat mode not A/C mode?

Lol.... cars have had "automatic" cabin air temp for 40+ years now where you set the desired cabin temp and the system either engages heat or A/C based on a cabin air temp sensor.

Leave it to Rivian to reinvent automotive HVAC. It's a wonder we have round wheels.....

Last edited:

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Perhaps Rivian should be hiring a few more automotive engineers and and a few less computer engineers. How difficult can this really be?
Maybe their department "lead engineers" should have actually owned an automobile vs. an e-bike or scooter and only being in their parents cars and Uber/Lyft vehicles before.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
Watch what the little graphics are doing as you adjust the temp. Most of us are used to the idea that you ought to be able to bring the temp up to "some level" above the outside air temp by using the heater set to whatever temp you want. That isn't happening with the Rivian.

My conjecture is that the engineers reside in a part of California where inside heat and air conditioning are not "normally required"...thus...

If the temp is set below 71, you're going to get "coolth". If it's set above this temp, you're going to get heat (when the system is on "auto"). Watch the red wavy lines become blue snowflakes as you lower the temp and you'll see what I mean.

In use, to get heat, set the climate control above 71. As you watch the cabin temp rise (on the screen), just turn off climate control when it gets as warm as you'd like it to be (assuming that's below 70), or maybe kick it out of Auto and turn the fans way down. Keep your seat heaters on. Turn on cabin heat again when things get to feeling chilly.

Use recirculate immediately when heating to avoid bringing in colder outside air. When cooling a hot car down with AC, do NOT turn on recirculate until the cabin temp is brought down to the level of the outside air temp (this is a slower version of the same thing as opening the doors for a few minutes before getting in to let the car "cool" down to the ambient air temp from a superheated state.).

Hope they tweak this somewhat.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Found out today that seat heating and cooling is available when then HVAC is set to off. That’s funny.

WakesUp

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 R1T, ‘89 Landcruiser, ‘16 X5, ‘20 GL450
Occupation
In the field
Clubs

Anybody get a rubbery squeak when turning the climate control on? Sound seems to be something mechanical moving when the system turns on and seems to be in the middle of the dash. I have the same cold HVAC issue.

diurnate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Junior Rocket Surgeon
I have resorted to turning the HVAC off and just using the seat heaters. I generally preheat though.

I still can’t figure out pet mode though. Mine always shows a large difference, eg “My pet is safe and comfy at 62 degrees set to 70” (literally this summer in a hot parking lot). My theory has always been that pet mode reports the passenger side temp but the HVAC uses just the drivers side (per the manual) when there is no passenger detected. But now I’m guessing the system is just crap and can’t control the temperature. I have a really hard time trusting it …

Sponsored

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So I have a malfunctioning hvac to look forward to as well? Great.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Found out today that seat heating and cooling is available when then HVAC is set to off. That’s funny.
That is not true for me...

Edit: Sorry, I apparently can't read. Mine works with HVAC off as well.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Anybody get a rubbery squeak when turning the climate control on? Sound seems to be something mechanical moving when the system turns on and seems to be in the middle of the dash. I have the same cold HVAC issue.
Just a moving air dam.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why is that funny? It SHOULD be available with HVAC off.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That is not true for me...
I can 100% confirm the seat heaters and ventilated seats work with my HVAC off. That is also how every other vehicle I've owned has worked.

Can you double-check yours?
Sponsored