First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone looked at the mounting hardware on all these other tents? I hate the Yakima soft shell style rivian sells but i teapot do like the clamps/mount hardware used: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Yakima/8880735.html

Does anyone know of a hard shell RTT that has a nice mounting system like Yakima?
Sponsored

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

Yea, I’m thinking thats a viable option. I’ll redneck engineer somethin’.
I also bought a 4-person tent (Anza 2000 from Overland Pros, https://overlandpros.com/product/anza-2000/) that is about the same length. I haven't put it on yet, so I am glad you posted some pics. Perhaps a simple metal or wood pole to prop up the back overhang when sleeping in it would support it fine. That's all the telescoping ladder does when it is folded out.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I also bought a 4-person tent (Anza 2000 from Overland Pros, https://overlandpros.com/product/anza-2000/) that is about the same length. I haven't put it on yet, so I am glad you posted some pics. Perhaps a simple metal or wood pole to prop up the back overhang when sleeping in it would support it fine. That's all the telescoping ladder does when it is folded out.
I do think something like that would work when camping. I’m more concerned about damage occurring as the truck goes over rocky trails.

golden_frog

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Something hitch mounted may be the most durable. An adjustable bed extender is probably too short but there may be one out there that would work

WrenamirLenin

First Name
Wren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T
Occupation
Insurance Agent
I have been lurking a lot trying to figure out a decent tent. I actually got a bed tent until I realized there's no way to mount it in the back of the truck. The back window section obviously is integrated to the cab of the truck and there are no ways to hook or clip the sides in the underside of the truck.

After looking at everything and scouring YouTube videos I am going with this Meadowlark. I think it's crazy to order something you'll get in November and probably won't use until April but I'm pretty sure I'll come up with something.

I suppose I could list what it looks like and how it's made once installed.

It appears to be a more durable wall material then a Yakima or Thule. With rooftop tents people complain about where they put their shoes at the top of the ladder and guy wire issues with setup. There's also some mixed feedback about the pad in the Thule.

What is appealing is the size and weight and the ability to simply open it up and be ready to go. I also want something that's going to be pretty contained on the top of the bed of the truck and not hanging off.

One drawback appears to be the lack of a top screen or some ability to look out above but I'm not sure that's a deal breaker. Where I live and would be using this, you would always have the rain fly installed.

We do quite a bit of camping. Always pulling about a 5000 lb trailer with all the amenities. Kids are getting older. We are losing participants. I like the idea of simplifying things. I also kind of think it's Overkill to be pulling a house to camp in for two people. I've been testing out charging and pulling a trailer with some sort of mixed results. The truck is definitely awesome but I have to build in a lot of extra time in order to provide for charging. I had some interesting experiences at the electrify America stations where only one device is working or the 150 KW charger only pulls 39 KW. Definitely bring your popcorn...
I am going with the meadowlark too, this seems like the perfect option for a solo guy too with the primary goal of going to do stuff like ski and bike. I think this is ideal for my purposes. it says it ships october which should be in time for bike trips to fruita and moab

Sponsored

r1tinNC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Canyon Red
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Looks sharp! Have you setup and used your annex yet? I am considering all RTT when my name gets called for my R1T, and would love to go RTT + Annex, but don't know how the annex would work being so low to the ground because of the crossbar height.
I have attached it, but not used it yet. I did put 2.5" riser mounts on the bars that attach with 3/8" carriage bolts to the crossbars to give a bit more clearance. I also bought some RV levelers and have 2 recovery boards for my next outing to see if that plus the air suspension height will make enough difference on the RTT height, and I think it will to make full use of the annex. And, add the new camp mode with self leveling (hoping we can use that and still remain as high as possible vs starting in a lower suspension mode). Will know more when the next OTA comes out! If not, I am sure it won't take long before someone creates an aftermarket riser bar, or even better, one that can be raised and lowered (transport mode vs camp mode). I really don't want to put the RTT on the roof just to make use of the annex.

SurlyBurris

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2001 Land Rover Disco II, R1T
I have attached it, but not used it yet. I did put 2.5" riser mounts on the bars that attach with 3/8" carriage bolts to the crossbars to give a bit more clearance. I also bought some RV levelers and have 2 recovery boards for my next outing to see if that plus the air suspension height will make enough difference on the RTT height, and I think it will to make full use of the annex. And, add the new camp mode with self leveling (hoping we can use that and still remain as high as possible vs starting in a lower suspension mode). Will know more when the next OTA comes out! If not, I am sure it won't take long before someone creates an aftermarket riser bar, or even better, one that can be raised and lowered (transport mode vs camp mode). I really don't want to put the RTT on the roof just to make use of the annex.

Curious....I have the Thule Tepui 3 as well (non-ruggedized). I purchased wider mounting brackets to fit the load bar width, but you said "2.5" riser mounts"? What did you use for these? It would be nice to have a couple of extra inches on the sides to get into the bed when the tent is mounted.

r1tinNC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Canyon Red
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Curious....I have the Thule Tepui 3 as well (non-ruggedized). I purchased wider mounting brackets to fit the load bar width, but you said "2.5" riser mounts"? What did you use for these? It would be nice to have a couple of extra inches on the sides to get into the bed when the tent is mounted.
https://www.backcountry.com/frontru...l&utm_campaign=BC-Narvar-DeliveryAnticipation

The mounting bolts didn't work, which is why I went with the carriage bolts (from local hardware store).

r1tinNC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Canyon Red
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks! Looks like the new update with camp mode started rolling out today, let me know if there is a height difference when leveling in lowest vs highest ride height if there is a difference when you get it!
I just installed the update and can say that it adjusts based on the suspension height you are in (aka, won't lower if you are at max height more than needed for leveling!). Fantastic job by the engineers at Rivian!

r1tinNC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Canyon Red
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I just installed the update and can say that it adjusts based on the suspension height you are in (aka, won't lower if you are at max height more than needed for leveling!). Fantastic job by the engineers at Rivian!
I will try out the annex tomorrow to see how it works.

Sponsored

r1tinNC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Canyon Red
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Last edited:

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
For example, could a 2” or 3” queen mattress topper be added?

ViscoSoft 3 Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper Queen - Select High Density Ventilated Mattress Pad - Removable Bamboo-Rayon Cover https://a.co/d/5MvUKuK
Sponsored