First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
We got our R1T in May of 2023. When we inquired about delivery, all they said was "4 to 8 weeks". From closing configuration to delivery it was about 6 weeks.

Our issue was the financing part of the transaction. We didn't finance through Rivian and used our credit union. It was hard to get a straight answer of "Do you pay the down payment to Rivian?". They told us "Deposit your down payment into your credit union and then get a loan for the whole amount". That was ridiculous.....they wanted us to deposit $40,000 (down payment) into the credit union) and then get a loan for $100,000. That made ZERO sense. We were able to figure it out by talking to their manager.

We did let the SC manager that maybe some remedial training would help not just our guide, but the guides in general.

Other than that at the beginning, the guide has been amazing since.
Crazy. I still been texting the service center since my guide has no info or transport/tracking. Their flatbed shipping is horrid so far. They use multiple shippers.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Shout out to my guide McKenna aka Mac. She was (and has been) super responsive.

tobidogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Jaguar XE-S / Misc.
Occupation
Snowboards...
What I find is that unless I make a nuclear level stink, no one gives a **** at Rivian. It is so sad, so annoying, and a waste of time. Let's hope after the long list of delivery issues I had, I do not have to deal with them anytime soon. My truck was in service for 3 weeks with no end date and then I mentioned that a month is lemon law here in WA...and magically it was ready the next day. What a bunch of bunk.

A random thing that happened to me: I cross into Canada a lot. The temp plate was from Il, not my home state. That caused the CBSA agent to be confused and concerned. Thankfully the real plates came...but for anyone else, be warned.

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Crazy. I still been texting the service center since my guide has no info or transport/tracking. Their flatbed shipping is horrid so far. They use multiple shippers.
I was told my purchase from the shop in Atlanta on 3/20. It has been in transit to Franklin TN SC (outside Nashville) ever since. Tomorrow was supposed to be my pick up day, but I got a message from the Franklin SC that the truck won't make it in time. Now I don't have a pick up date.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ssbmx90

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
I was told my purchase from the shop in Atlanta on 3/20. It has been in transit to Franklin TN SC (outside Nashville) ever since. Tomorrow was supposed to be my pick up day, but I got a message from the Franklin SC that the truck won't make it in time. Now I don't have a pick up date.
I’m expecting the same issue. They use multiple trucks and shipping partners. it almost feels like someone at the service center calls up a local tow company and ask if they can make it..

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
I’m expecting the same issue. They use multiple trucks and shipping partners. it almost feels like someone at the service center calls up a local tow company and ask if they can make it..
Good luck. I hope they come through for you.

Skellogg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fractional Strategic Marketing Leader
Hi All,

I figured I would try and start a "Master thread" for new owners with their reservations, custom shop orders. I have some info that might be helpful, when your getting the where is my truck/SUV bug in the shipping process. I'll post my experience so far while waiting for delivery, hopefully it cam help some.

First off, I placed a shop/available inventory order on March 8th 2024, the truck is in route to be delivered this Friday March 29th 2024. If that helps with timeline. The info I have is hard to place in order, so I'll try to organize it.

Some detailed info below:
  • Order Area code: 92082 (San Diego)
  • Ordered on PC
  • Shipped from IL Factory
  • Stopped at Salt Lake City Service Center (sometime around March 26th) SD Service center text message after inquiry
    • "Hi shayne! Your vehicle is shipping from our service center in Salt Lake City. We're working with our logistics team to get it here in time for your appointment, but will keep you posted if it arrives sooner or if there are any delays."
  • I inquired to see if the vehicle left Salt Lake City, UT today at 8:30AM (I been without a vehicle and two kids so I need to plan)
  • For my order, it was shipped flat bed
    • It appears they use different shippers and perform trade off stops through different states. They stopped/checkpointed from IL at the UT service center
Tips/Tricks I learned with success:
  • If you receive a delivery text message, that is for your delivery location/service center. Like Tesla, if I called or reached out they were actually able to provide info my guide either did not know or wouldn't provide. My guide was adamant on just saying the vehicle is in route and we can't delivery any sooner than the March 29th date.
    • I found out texting this number with any question regarding your vehicle shipping/delivery, they should be able to provide you updates same day +- a few hours later.
  • I've hd multiple questions regarding delivery and tracking that have all been answered by this service center number via text. I was surprised it was this easy.
Guide Experience: So my experience with "My" Guide has been a meh experience. I can't speak for everyone's guide and I have nothing against this guide or the guide experience as a whole, just comparing apples to oranges with Tesla. it has been much different then what I have experienced in the past with Tesla, I have made 3 purchases with them over the last couple years. With Rivian, the whole ordering, shipping experience is like a grab bag of info and no one seems to know any particular info.

I'll continue to update this thread with more info as it's flooding out of my head. Please feel free to ask me anything, I am happy to help, I know what's its like with the waiting game. I planned on purchasing since 2018.

Insurance:
  • For some states Rivian requires the vehicles vin to be displayed on the policy and the ID card has to be valid for 90 days and provided a few days before delivery. (California does not require this)
Some states require a policy to be held
Thanks for the great info. I ordered my R1T SP from inventory on March 4 and I am picking it up today in San Diego, so 24 day wait in total. I also tried to get delivery updates along the way from my guide but got a similar answer.

One frustrating thing was they kept dropping my down payment from the finance section of the app, even after I already paid it and the check was cashed! Looked bleak but after calls to my guide, someone from finance called me at 8:30pm last night and had to resend lease paperwork for me to sign (again). We’ll see how the delivery goes today. Agree my Tesla purchase experience was definitely smoother. Still super excited to pick it up today!

Thanks for the

OP
OP
ssbmx90

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
Thanks for the great info. I ordered my R1T SP from inventory on March 4 and I am picking it up today in San Diego, so 24 day wait in total. I also tried to get delivery updates along the way from my guide but got a similar answer.

One frustrating thing was they kept dropping my down payment from the finance section of the app, even after I already paid it and the check was cashed! Looked bleak but after calls to my guide, someone from finance called me at 8:30pm last night and had to resend lease paperwork for me to sign (again). We’ll see how the delivery goes today. Agree my Tesla purchase experience was definitely smoother. Still super excited to pick it up today!

Thanks for the
Sweet, good luck, hopefully my date for SD tomorrow sticks.

tbadd475

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
rivian r1t
Occupation
data nerd
Clubs

FYI... new buyer tip: your Insurance ID card has to be valid for 90 days starting from or a day or three before your delivery date. Some carriers only issue 30 day temp ID cards, Rivian will reject those and reschedule your delivery till you give them a 90 day insurance ID card.

Ask me how I know that o_O
Live Saver! Just updated my policy to start today instead of Delivery date. 2 more days!

Sponsored

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
An update to my story 😉. My guide called after 6 PM tonight and I was able to find out that the vehicle I was matched with was actually in CA and the estimated date of arrival is on 3/31. Hopefully I will take delivery next week.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
What I find is that unless I make a nuclear level stink, no one gives a **** at Rivian. It is so sad, so annoying, and a waste of time. Let's hope after the long list of delivery issues I had, I do not have to deal with them anytime soon. My truck was in service for 3 weeks with no end date and then I mentioned that a month is lemon law here in WA...and magically it was ready the next day. What a bunch of bunk.
Sorry, what does this have to do with new orders and delivery scheduling?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
First off, I placed a shop/available inventory order on March 8th 2024, the truck is in route to be delivered this Friday March 29th 2024. If that helps with timeline. The info I have is hard to place in order, so I'll try to organize it.
The process with rivian is probably one of the worst processes I've ever seen
The process is very clunky and the shipping/info is terrible.
Our issue was the financing part of the transaction. We didn't finance through Rivian and used our credit union. It was hard to get a straight answer of "Do you pay the down payment to Rivian?". They told us "Deposit your down payment into your credit union and then get a loan for the whole amount". That was ridiculous.....they wanted us to deposit $40,000 (down payment) into the credit union) and then get a loan for $100,000. That made ZERO sense. We were able to figure it out by talking to their manager.
The process, FOR ME, was extremely positive.

Be aware that from VIN to delivery it takes about a month. Sometime sooner, sure. Sometimes later, sure. But expect about a month and in most cases you won't be disappointed. I don't understand people who complain if they don't have their vehicle 1 week after confirming their order. Seriously.

You are NOT going to get exact location information for shipping throughout the process. Rail transport is not like Amazon delivery - you can't tell exactly where the item is or when it will arrive. But if you expect ~1 month between VIN assignment and delivery scheduling then you can sit back and relax in the knowledge that it will be delivered about when you expect it.

I'm not sure what all the "down payment" confusion is about. The 8-step process lets you make a down payment, and lets you choose a method to pay off the balance, whether it is by cash, by loan, or by finance through Rivian. This was never an issue with my purchase - I made the down payment via ACH then I arranged for the remainder of the payment through a short-term loan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssbmx90

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
Let's stay constructive, this was meant to help new buyers, everyone has a different experience as you can see from the questions/replies. Regardless, some info in here will be relevant to some and not others. You should be well versed with 1500 messages.

To continue providing helpful info and my experience So far, yes I have been able to locate where the vehicle is during transit during it's checkpoints. If someone orders from the shop and it says 1-4(6) week delivery, expect customers to hope for 1 week delivery. Mine was shipped via flatbed, so this tracking was possible. It's clear that a customer had an issue with someone providing false information regarding a payment, so this is valid.

Glstr

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Audi Q7 TDI
Not true for WA. Uploaded my current policy for existing vehicle and that sufficed.
Good to know. You just go through the steps? I just confirmed (also in WA State) and don't yet have access to the steps.
Sponsored