Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Thank you for the apology. It was a drive unit failure, it is currently getting replaced.
The apology is sincere and I feel badly for making you more upset about this whole situation. That definitely wasn’t my intent.

On to the technical stuff, I bet they can do better with a drive unit failure, but I don’t know the whole story with capability so maybe not. I figure the front drive unit failure will have fewer options than a rear drive unit failure since a rear motor fails I hope they could basically force Conserve mode to disconnect the rear motors, give a warning about the rear drive unit failure and make you schedule service soon. For other failures, I don’t know what they can do but I’m hoping there is a way to diagnose a motor which is locked up (one wheel ABS sensor reporting low/no speed and motor error) a motor which is not producing power but spinning (wheel ABS sensor speed match to other wheels but no power application from motor by however they measure torque on each wheel) and a working motor which is disconnected from the wheel from some mechanical issue like a CV joint failure (wheel ABS sensor speed match to other wheels and able to rotate motor but no power delivered by spinning motor to the wheel)

I don’t know if there is a graceful way to handle a locked up motor. At highway speeds I picture the vehicle slowing rapidly and probably yawing. Depending on tread depth continuing like this could probably lead to a flat spot and then a blow-out so this should probably be a pull over immediately situation and maybe the vehicle should automatically activate the hazards unless you’re using a turn signal. At low speeds or from a stop it may be that the other three motors would struggle to overcome the friction of a single locked wheel.

For the cases where a motor is not producing power but still spinning and a working motor has been disconnected from the wheel, I think it could probably be a fault warning with a turtle mode / speed limited to 40 MPH / pull over and a warning that the vehicle will not be able to maintain speed for more than x miles with a countdown to emphasize that there is limited time to do something. After that, the speed should probably be limited to 1 MPH or something to allow for loading onto a flatbed but without enough speed that an additional failure would cause a safety issue. If a CV joint fails in such a way that a half shaft is flailing against the underside of the vehicle I think it would make enough noise that the driver would want to stop sooner rather than later.

tl;dr My best guess is that Rivian can handle these failures better in at least some cases. I’m making some assumptions about what they can detect, though.

edit:typo
Sponsored

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
So, you posted a highly negative reply to reprimand someone for making a highly negative reply???
And you posted a reply pointing that out. Seems like I'm not the only one guilty of what your complaint about. And on and on it goes huh?

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
And you posted a reply pointing that out. Seems like I'm not the only one guilty of what your complaint about. And on and on it goes huh?
HAH! I wasn't complaining about negativity. Just pointing out your hypocrisy.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
HAH! I wasn't complaining about negativity. Just pointing out your hypocrisy.
You weren't complaining yet took the time to make the post, and another one to boot. Suuuuure buddy whatever makes you feel better.

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Yep. I have a compulsive habit of pointing out hypocrisy. I just can't help myself. I assume you have a similar compulsion to be negative while pointing out negativity.

Anyway, we've derailed this thread. Feel free to throw one more punch. But I'm done.

You weren't complaining yet took the time to make the post, and another one to boot. Suuuuure buddy whatever makes you feel better.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Did they at least use general anesthesia?
Nah you can easily get endoscopy done with light sedation.
Sponsored