Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
Ugh...

For the last few weeks, I've intermittently received three battery indicator lights on a random basis. Usually, they'd remain present for an hour or two, then disappear, only to reappear at random intervals. Turtle mode is not fun, and was one of the indicators, along with two others.

After several conversations with Rivian, I brought it to the El Segundo service center. Word is I need a new battery pack. Not good, looks like an approximate 10 day turnaround time, as the batteries come from Illinois, and the weather is not so great at the moment.

I'm curious if anyone else has been through a battery replacement process, and how it went.
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I believe some others have stated it’s a 6-hour job.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
I don’t have my R1S yet (this Friday!). But, I can report battery pack replacements happen as I just had my 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance in after 20k miles for a replacement (under warranty). The amazing thing to me was that nothing had gone wrong —just one day I got a service soon message w a battery code when I got into the car. It wasn’t like when a transmission or engine went out in an ICE car. Process takes awhile, true, so make sure they give you a loaner…

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had to have the pack in my 2018 Bolt EV replaced in 2018. Rivian has been flawless there so far.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Ugh...

For the last few weeks, I've intermittently received three battery indicator lights on a random basis. Usually, they'd remain present for an hour or two, then disappear, only to reappear at random intervals. Turtle mode is not fun, and was one of the indicators, along with two others.

After several conversations with Rivian, I brought it to the El Segundo service center. Word is I need a new battery pack. Not good, looks like an approximate 10 day turnaround time, as the batteries come from Illinois, and the weather is not so great at the moment.

I'm curious if anyone else has been through a battery replacement process, and how it went.
good thing it has a 10 year warranty

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I am almost positive there was another forum member who reported their battery pack was replaced already. Not ideal, but sounds like it was a successful swap and didn’t take too long.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

good thing it has a 10 year warranty
I think it is eight years. Still an excellent warranty overall!

United States

The New Vehicle Limited Warranties include:

• Comprehensive: The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Battery Pack: Coverage includes all components inside the high-voltage battery and 70% or more of the battery capacity for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Drivetrain: Coverage includes the drivetrain and components for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Corrosion (perforation): Body panels that are perforated by corrosion will be covered for 8 years

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I am almost positive there was another forum member who reported their battery pack was replaced already. Not ideal, but sounds like it was a successful swap and didn’t take too long.
It's really not a big deal as long as it's not a systemic problem like the Bolt was. 7776 cells in the large pack, there's bound to be a few vehicles with bad cells.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's really not a big deal as long as it's not a systemic problem like the Bolt was. 7776 cells in the max pack, there's bound to be a few vehicles with bad cells.
Agreed. Nothing is 100%. It’s probably one of the least likely components to fail early on, but it’s bound to happen occasionally.

OP
OP

JDMD

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
It's really not a big deal as long as it's not a systemic problem like the Bolt was. 7776 cells in the max pack, there's bound to be a few vehicles with bad cells.
Good point. Good to hear the process has been smooth for others -- thanks for the reassurance. I got a loaner through Enterprise, a Mercedes EQB 350 EV. Nice car, no doubt, but man it would have been cool to get a Rivian loaner! I miss it already...

Sponsored

OP
OP

JDMD

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
I don’t have my R1S yet (this Friday!). But, I can report battery pack replacements happen as I just had my 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance in after 20k miles for a replacement (under warranty). The amazing thing to me was that nothing had gone wrong —just one day I got a service soon message w a battery code when I got into the car. It wasn’t like when a transmission or engine went out in an ICE car. Process takes awhile, true, so make sure they give you a loaner…
Enjoy your R1S! That's awesome.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Not good, looks like an approximate 10 day turnaround time, as the batteries come from Illinois, and the weather is not so great at the moment.
10 day turnaround is pretty good. It took 8 days for my windshield! :)

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Agreed. Nothing is 100%. It’s probably one of the least likely components to fail early on, but it’s bound to happen occasionally.
Death and taxes are 100%…

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

shrink

Threads