First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 12 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Just confirmed it is NOT a MagicDock. Found one, but it aint exactly close. Might have to swing by it on Friday on my way home, and get it up to 80%. Its either that, or charge at my local government center, which is a L1/6.6kwh charger, would just have to leave it for many hours.

I still dont understand this whole L1/L2/L3 charger nomenclature.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Finally figured out how to use the windshield washers, and turn off the auto wipers..

Hopefully someone can answer. My front washers, it appears that I have 3 jets across the front of the windshield, but the jets only make it about 1-3 inchs up the glass. Is this supposed to be like this?

Also, I thought there was a interior camera just above the rear view mirror? Are they not installing these anymore?

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID4
It's as easy as 1,2,3.

L1 - Level 1 is at 120 Volts Ac (regular house outlet) great for coffee pots, microwaves and TVs but not the best for an EV.

L2 - Level 2 is at 240 Volts AC (think electric oven or water heater). Can get more volts and amps than on 120, hence it charges faster than L1.

L3 - Level 3 is DC voltage, not AC like L1 and L2. Does not use the onboard AC charger of the Rivian, instead it connects direct to the battery and can charge much faster than L2.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

https://www.transportation.gov/rural/ev/toolkit/ev-basics/charging-speeds

Hopefully someone can answer. My front washers, it appears that I have 3 jets across the front of the windshield, but the jets only make it about 1-3 inchs up the glass. Is this supposed to be like this?
If driving 40mph+, yes, wind shear prevents higher coverage. While standing still, no.

Also, I thought there was a interior camera just above the rear view mirror? Are they not installing these anymore?
Post a picture please. They said they stopped using them, so unknown without seeing yours.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Sure thing...

Rivian R1T R1S My R1S delivery adventure. Delivered 1/13/2024 20240117_091643

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

They stopped using the camera for driver+ so it makes sense to completely remove it and update the faceplate.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
So I did notice one thing.. Might be informative..

I had been running it in Snow Mode since Saturday, and yesterday on my trip home, I switched to All Purpose. This is likely a combo of the frigid temps, and low regen.

My usage went from a average of 1.3-1.4 in snow mode, to 1.8-1.9 in All Purpose. Still have yet to hit the 2.0 mark. But I attribute that to the cold temps.

Remembering I have 22" wheels, I have been leaving it in Auto Mode for the suspension. But I am finding the roads, and my back, dont like the lowest setting while on the interstate. Likely going to have to switch it to standard to keep my back happy.

Thanks @Riviot @MidnightRivian @Redline for the camera info. I am glad its not there to be honest.

Truck now has 147 miles on it, 126 by me. No complaints yet! Stereo is not nearly as good as the Meridian, but its better than the GMC radio I am coming out of.

I am going to be at about 45% SOC when I get home tonight. Going to drop it off at a local free L1+ (6.6kW) ChargePoint, and let it charge overnight. Need to make sure I make it to, and thru, the weekend with no hiccups.

When below 80% SOC, the L1 trickle charger charges at 1.4 kW. When above 80% SOC, it charges at 1.2 kW.

Think I should set the ChargePoint as my destination? Its not a FastCharger, so I really dont see a need to for battery pre-conditioning?

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So I did notice one thing.. Might be informative..

I had been running it in Snow Mode since Saturday, and yesterday on my trip home, I switched to All Purpose. This is likely a combo of the frigid temps, and low regen.

My usage went from a average of 1.3-1.4 in snow mode, to 1.8-1.9 in All Purpose. Still have yet to hit the 2.0 mark. But I attribute that to the cold temps.

Remembering I have 22" wheels, I have been leaving it in Auto Mode for the suspension. But I am finding the roads, and my back, dont like the lowest setting while on the interstate. Likely going to have to switch it to standard to keep my back happy.

Thanks @Riviot @MidnightRivian @Redline for the camera info. I am glad its not there to be honest.

Truck now has 147 miles on it, 126 by me. No complaints yet! Stereo is not nearly as good as the Meridian, but its better than the GMC radio I am coming out of.

I am going to be at about 45% SOC when I get home tonight. Going to drop it off at a local free L1+ (6.6kW) ChargePoint, and let it charge overnight. Need to make sure I make it to, and thru, the weekend with no hiccups.

When below 80% SOC, the L1 trickle charger charges at 1.4 kW. When above 80% SOC, it charges at 1.2 kW.

Think I should set the ChargePoint as my destination? Its not a FastCharger, so I really dont see a need to for battery pre-conditioning?
When I first got my R1S, we were in a rental house for 3 months while the last touches on our new house were being finished. I lived with 120v charging for a full month lol. It was ok, but def a life changer when we moved in here and I had a Lv2 put in. I now get about 22 miles an hour in our heated garage. It’s lovely.

I work from home, so that’s the only thing that made the month in a standard outlet doable.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Had to leave my Rivian twice this week at a public charger. My home charger just wasnt going to make it to the end of the week (tomorrow). They were free, so not complaining there. Just confused why they are listed twice in my charging history.

Sold the Jacuzzi, they are picking it up tomorrow, and Rivian L2 charger to be installed tomorrow.

Got into a near accident, was on the interstate in the fast lane, waiting for the dually going 45 in front of me to pass the semi. Some idiot was coming up behind me at a high rate of speed, and he did not appear to be slowing down. I had to nail it as soon as the dually was out of my way. She gets up to the triple digits faster than I expected for sure!

Wish these Colorado Morons would learn to drive.

Shes ugly right now.. Needs a bath. Will have to see what I can find over the weekend to get that fixed!

199 miles in, no complaint yet!... Well I have a small one. There is a metallic rattle when a cup, of any type, is in the front cup holder. Not going to worry about it.

Still getting used to all these gadgets and gizmos. Still have no idea what all of them do. Gotta remember, this is a 20 year newer truck from what I am getting out of.. So yea, there is a learning curve!

Loving the pre-conditioning so far. Nice getting in a truck thats up to temp when its below freezing out! Oddly, it did not pre-condition yesterday. I noticed it about 5 minutes before I left, and turned it on manually. SOC was at 48%, so it should have done it without issue. Will have to see if it does it again today.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I also noticed on my way to work, when I past one of those construction zone "your speed is ...." that my speedo appears to be 2 mph off. I had the cruise set to 67, and the sign said 65.

Is this something I should be worried about?

Last edited:

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
I also noticed on my way to work, when I past one of those construction zone "your speed is ...." that my speedo appears to be 2 mph off. I had the cruise set to 67, and the sign said 55.

Is this something I should be worried about?
This is how every consumer vehicle speedometer works. They're always a margin of error higher than actual, to avoid legal repercussions of the opposite. If your speedo said 65 and you got pulled over for speeding at 67, you'd want Rivian to pay out. Vehicles with "certified" speedometers are typically reserved for first responders and the like.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Charger installed! 8awg on a dual pole 50amp circuit.

Charged from 30% to 90% in roughly 6 hours. kW 59.5, cost $6.31

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
I came from a 25 year old Tacoma, so I hear you on how much of a change it is! Quite a lot of new things to learn. I've been enjoying reading your updates. I'm already over 14,000 miles in 6 months, having never driven anywhere near this many miles before in such a short time (typically avg around 10k mi/yr before). I enjoy the truck (and until recently free RAN fast charging) so much that I find any excuse to drive. Drove ~350 miles day before yesterday in "atmospheric river" level heavy rain conditions and felt 100% confident - only had to worry about other (bad) drivers.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
@AbhorViolence - Bad drivers are also a concern!

Noticed a new problem thou... My center console, I have to hit the buttons to open it repeatedly. I know I saw a thread about this somewhere.

Anyone have any insight on what the cause is for this before I call for service?

My big concern is I keep some "items" in there, and would hate to need to get it out, and cant.
Sponsored