First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
The installation avoids the steering column. Nice Job! Thought about simply using a Scosche OBII/USB A instead of plugging directly into the fuse panel. I think either way is good.

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
The installation avoids the steering column. Nice Job! Thought about simply using a Scosche OBII/USB A instead of plugging directly into the fuse panel. I think either way is good.
I originally had the Scosche OBII. But the issue is that it’s always on. So the unit will not turn off even if the car is off. The Garmin OBll solution has a 10 min setting where it shuts down after 10 minutes. The Fuse Tap solution turns off when the car goes to sleep.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
Are you talking about the swirly color background that shows when car play is active as in the above screenshots? That's an Apple function, not specific to this particular device.

You can use CarPlay settings to choose from a limited selection provided by Apple
RaceKarl, This is great! Thanks! I did not realize or had forgotten that the background was part of Apple’s CarPlay functionality and adjustable via settings. And PangPang thanks for showing the background samples… I think I can find one of those that will work for me after my install. Much less bright and busy.

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

Just fgot m,y CarPlay unit this week and am going to try to copy your install. THANK YOU!! for sharing this and for the pictures

Sponsored

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

Did this in less than an hour. Slightly different in running in that it went under the weather stripping in the door as that side panel was recalcitrant and seemed like it would require excessive force to open.

This is SO MUCH better looking than the other carplay unit I had!!

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
Did this in less than an hour. Slightly different in running in that it went under the weather stripping in the door as that side panel was recalcitrant and seemed like it would require excessive force to open.

This is SO MUCH better looking than the other carplay unit I had!!
Congrats, I don’t think about the unit anymore after a few weeks of use. Feels very much a part of the car.

Bolt

First Name
Bolt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I got my CarPlay unit from EV Sportline yesterday. There are other threads, but just wanted to provide my perspective. I had a couple of twists that may make it a bit of a different install 1) I hid the wires under the dash panel (similar to the mount for the unit) across to the driver’s side door so the wire is completely hidden and 2) I split the power from the fuse tap to also power a MagSafe phone mount.

I previously owned an Ottocast CarPlay unit, but had some issues with it with inconsistent connection (not always connect to my phone on its own without playing with Bluetooth settings) and sound would primarily go to the CarPlay unit’s own speaker instead of the Rivian speakers through Bluetooth. I also had a Garmin OBD powering the unit and would cause the unit to stay on at least 30 minutes after shutdown.

With the EV Sportline here are the main observations:

1) The connection is very snappy and reliable
2) The sound always goes to the Rivian speakers even when I summon Siri (which didn’t happen with the Ottocast)
3) The mounting location and mount itself make the install look professional
4) I was able to tap power for both CarPlay and my phone and know it shuts down once the car is off or goes to sleep without worry of extra draw from the battery.
5) I was able to hide all wires for a clean / professional look

Very happy and highly recommended.

In order to hide all wires I had to open up a couple more panels one under the dash and one to the side on the driver’s side.

Please make sure that the fuse tap wire is moved away from the steering wheel column. At one point I heard the wire catching as I turned the steering wheel so I needed to adjust.

Please see the pictures. I have a few extra pictures that help supplement what is already in the video and I show the picture of the panel with the T20 Torx scre, how I set up a USB-C hub for dual power and how I routed the wires.

It was late in the day so I’ll take some more pics during the day.

The last picture shows no exposed wires.

IMG_8886.jpeg

IMG_8890.jpeg

IMG_8891.jpeg

IMG_8892.jpeg

IMG_8893.jpeg

IMG_8895.jpeg

IMG_8896.jpeg

IMG_8897.jpeg

IMG_8899.jpeg

IMG_8901.jpeg

IMG_8902.jpeg

IMG_8909.jpeg

IMG_8907.jpeg

IMG_8908.jpeg

IMG_8906.jpeg

Bolt

First Name
Bolt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for sharing this. I am not an experienced tinkerer (no joke), but this and some other postings gave me the courage to install my own 1EV EV Sportline CarPlay unit in my R1T. After combing the internet for teardown videos and explosion diagrams, I was able to confirm that you can directly access the driver’s side sub-dash space from under the dash mat (which you already have to lift up to place the monitor) so that the usb-c power cable runs directly from the monitor to the fuse panel and is completely hidden. The one trick is that you should run the cable first prior to placing the monitor as it makes it easier to have the cable emerge to the right side of the monitor, where it plugs in to the unit. Doing it the other way around (placing monitor first) makes it hard to bring the cable out on the right side of the monitor. I actually used the wire hanger trick to pull the cable from the sub-dash space up and out from beneath the dash pad, then placed the monitor under the dash pad. Very easy to pass the cable this way for me. Came out great IMO with no visible cables and no need to squish cables into tiny nooks in order to thread it from the unit over to the sub-dash space.
Sponsored