First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
El Cap/OC R1T, FOR SALE: 2017 Tesla Model S 90D
Occupation
Network Engineer
I love it! I need to make a trip to the me-pull-it yard and grab a old dodge wheel. Did you consider an air powered jack, perhaps like this one? Someone on some Rivian site linked to it. BIG RED 5 Ton (10,000 LBs) Torin Pneumatic Air Bottle Jack with Manual Hand Pump, ATRQ05002R, Red https://a.co/d/0dPFRzk

Also I was wondering it we can use air tools (like an impact gun) with the compressor, I’m guessing no because I don’t think it has a tank.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dp351

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Update: Received my EV Sportline bottle Jack and puck today. I was relieved that the Jack and its case fit inside the spare tire, with just enough room to close the lid.

I also bought a cheap extendable 1/2” drive ratchet from Harbor Freight (~$20) and a Craftsman 22mm deep impact socket from Ace Hardware. I keep them in a small toolbox that I keep in the frunk.

Inside the spare is a good place to store the gear guard cable and some misc straps & bungees. A lot more stuff could be stored inside & outside of the spare.
Rivian R1T R1S My cobbled together budget spare 3D2578BB-AD89-4549-8EC9-EE321474A571
Rivian R1T R1S My cobbled together budget spare 41FDF85B-8385-471F-ACDD-296DE2563193

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2021 992 4S, 2019 Macan S
What's the thread size on the all-thread? And the length? I don't want to make multiple trips to find it. Thanks,

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
OP
OP
dp351

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

What's the thread size on the all-thread? And the length? I don't want to make multiple trips to find it. Thanks,
This was a bit tricky, but here’s how I handled it.

The female threaded hole in the truck is metric (I forget the size & pitch), but there wasn’t any metric all-thread (AKA threaded Rod) at my hardware stores, so I had to improvise.

There is an SAE thread that’s VERY close to the Rivian’s metric size & pitch, and these will usually thread together. But I didn’t want to jam an SAE thread into my truck’s metric threads & take a chance of stripping it. So I found a stud (double male) in the correct metric size, which I put in the truck’s hole, and I attached a “coupling nut” (double female) in the SAE size, to the stud. I also put a jam nut on the stud to hold the coupling nut secure. Attached to that is a piece of (I believe) 6” all-thread. This was an off the shelf size that fit perfectly without cutting and was much cheaper than the longer all-thread.

I got all of these parts at my local Ace Hardware for just a few bucks, and it was fun to assemble. Sorry I forgot to take photos of these parts.

Sponsored

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2021 992 4S, 2019 Macan S
Ultimately, I want to get the spare kit from Rivian so I don’t want to run the risk of stripping the truck fitting. I went with the m10 rod from Amazon.

Honestly, I can’t believe we have to do this.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I put together a spare using one of these Dodge wheels and the OEM Scorpion tire. It seems to fit fine but sticks out about an inch more than the stock wheel once it's mounted. If I get a flat out on the trail, am I going to have a problem with one front wheel sticking out more than the other until I can get it replaced? Seems like it would be fine in the back but throw off the steering in the front. What do you all think?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I put together a spare using one of these Dodge wheels and the OEM Scorpion tire. It seems to fit fine but sticks out about an inch more than the stock wheel once it's mounted. If I get a flat out on the trail, am I going to have a problem with one front wheel sticking out more than the other until I can get it replaced? Seems like it would be fine in the back but throw off the steering in the front. What do you all think?
If it's an issue and you get a flat on a front tire.. put the spare on one of the rear positions and put the OEM tire/rim from the rear on the front position.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

If it's an issue and you get a flat on a front tire.. put the spare on one of the rear positions and put the OEM tire/rim from the rear on the front position.
That's what I'll do if it won't work on the front but that doubles the amount of work just to change a flat. If I knew that would be required, I doubt I would have gone this route. Maybe Rivian will eventually sell just the wheel or someone will part out a set.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Following this as I also want to make a good spare tire kit, and frustrated that Rivian didn't include it and refuses to sell it. I cancelled the spare tire from my truck config only because I realized I would be buying a full second set of wheels for winter/summer. I didn't realize I then would be left with no way to jack up or change a tire.

I had considered keeping a bottle jack in the truck (harbor freight 8 ton is $40) but concerned that they will leak and fail if not always stored vertically. Would love to find a 4 ton scissor that is tall enough.

But yeah, would also be nice to have the wheel holder in the first place.

Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

My current plan is to get a set of 20” wheels are run AT tires in the same size as my 21” wheel+tire combo, which will become winter tires. One tire from the unused set will become my spare since the OD will match.

I really like this idea of the Dodge wheel for temporary use!

cowsr4eating

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 Chevy C1500
I'm baffled why the Rivian change tire mode requires a jack. Steps should be:
1) Raise suspension to full height
2) Remove cover for puck cover for appropriate tire to be changed
3) Insert threaded, telescoping jack stand type device that has puck on end already and adjust hand tight to secure between ground and truck
4) Go inside and select which one tire to raise (technically lower suspension on that tire)
5) Replace tire
6) Reverse directions above

Specs say the Rivian has "fully independent suspension". This would be a reliable feature with no reliance on hydraulic jacks that will eventually fail. Other than lugging the space in/out of the back, it's minimal physical effort. You could change the spare while off-roading in the wilderness or on the way out to eat and not break a sweat.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
That's what I'll do if it won't work on the front but that doubles the amount of work just to change a flat. If I knew that would be required, I doubt I would have gone this route. Maybe Rivian will eventually sell just the wheel or someone will part out a set.
Well, Rivian has been promising a spare tire + kit will be available in the store for a year now and still nothing, meanwhile people need to drive their vehicles and will get flats. With few options, making your own spare + jack + Puck + hub ring adapter + 22mm socket + breaker bar kit is still your best bet.

FWIW- swapping a good OEM tire from the rear to the front flat position is nothing new.
Many front wheel drive vehicles that come with the space-saver donut tries specifically instruct you do do exactly that if you get a flat on the front and only have the space-saver to use. Yes. it's extra work, but that's just how it works.

OP
OP
dp351

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I'm baffled why the Rivian change tire mode requires a jack. Steps should be:
1) Raise suspension to full height
2) Remove cover for puck cover for appropriate tire to be changed
3) Insert threaded, telescoping jack stand type device that has puck on end already and adjust hand tight to secure between ground and truck
4) Go inside and select which one tire to raise (technically lower suspension on that tire)
5) Replace tire
6) Reverse directions above

Specs say the Rivian has "fully independent suspension". This would be a reliable feature with no reliance on hydraulic jacks that will eventually fail. Other than lugging the space in/out of the back, it's minimal physical effort. You could change the spare while off-roading in the wilderness or on the way out to eat and not break a sweat.
I like this idea almost as much as your name (cowsr4eating). But I don’t think it would work. Reason - Rivians use gravity to lower themselves when air is released from the springs. But with one corner held up by a fixed object, the force of gravity wouldn’t be allowed to work. If there were vacuum inside the air spring, this could work. That would be a neat trick, but I don’t think they have this capability.

A similar fun idea - air jacks. These are common on race cars, which rely on an air hose to be plugged in. But with an air compressor on board, it wouldn’t be hard to incorporate air jacks into the truck. But it would add weight & cost, and there goes the fun…

cowsr4eating

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 Chevy C1500
Good to know. I won't hold out hope that this could be a future feature.

RE: The name. We raise cattle. I got tire of people asking me why we raise cattle, so I came up with this screen name. Can't wait to roll up at the sale barn with my Rivian and a trailer full of cows.
Sponsored