Sponsored

MTB Tailgate Pad

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
I just got the Half-stack Raceface T2 Tailgate Pad. Fits perfectly. I can see how it could lead to scratches, so I plan on installing a PPF strip on the top half of the tailgate when the weather's warmer.

Last edited:

RVAir

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche 911 GTS
Occupation
Dentist, air show pilot
It just came in yesterday and the truck was off getting tinted so I will test it out today. I didn’t realize there had been issues with the R1T and pads but I hope it works. I’d really prefer not to go the hitch-mount route.
How about a bed mounted front fork mount that is on the floor of the bed at the cab end?

Sponsored

boborob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, EV6
Figured I'd add another data point to this discussion. I recently got a deal on the Thule GateMate Pro (S) and installed it. The website says its 52" long, which would be a dead on fit for the R1T gate, however its slightly longer at 53"ish. That makes opening and closing it a bit of a pain because you have to kind of jam it in there. A bit of a bummer. Other than that it feels super well built and should be able to hold a ton of bikes. My Stumpjumper S4 fits great.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_1122

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_1120

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
...I also am testing the Yakima GateKeeper Medium. I think this will be more efficient and won't affect range as much.

I added some foam under the pad to protect the bike and tailgate.

IMG_8341.jpeg

I folded the inside corner to prevent it from interfering with the tailgate latch.

IMG_8345.jpeg

There is some interference with the strap clip when closing the tailgate with the gooseneck hinge filler plate. It's not that bad but good to know.
How did the Gatekeeper pad hold up to your testing? What's your recommendation?

I have a 1up hitch rack and hauled 4 bikes 300 miles this weekend. It sure would be nice to fit all those bikes in the truck, instead of stick out and make parking and charging a nightmare. Tempted to give it a try... at least until the Rivian pad is out.

Also curious if you think the extra piece of foam was necessary, or you abandoned it?

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I just got the Half-stack Raceface T2 Tailgate Pad. Fits perfectly. I can see how it could lead to scratches, so I plan on installing a PPF strip on the top half of the tailgate when the weather's warmer.
Can you see out of your reverse camera with the half stack on? Ie does it block the camea?

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
Can you see out of your reverse camera with the half stack on? Ie does it block the camea?

Yep, I can see fine. I plan on leaving it on the truck until fall.