Sponsored

Max Pack Update? Anyone?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

7/19 max pack reservation. Had a guide assigned 2 weeks ago. During the intro call my guide said they are still targeting 1H23 for the max pack. The guide did not have any additional details regarding test mules or when manufacturing would start. If history is any indication, we can all expect deliveries to start closer to June (or be delayed).
The guide assignment this far out seems weird, but probably more of an attempt to see if you were willing to switch more than anything.
Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
The guide assignment this far out seems weird, but probably more of an attempt to see if you were willing to switch more than anything.
I agree with you. He did ask if I wanted to change to the "large" pack. Then he talked about the R1 Shop as my chance to get a truck earlier if I wanted to choose a different battery config. Certainly, wasn't a hard push to get me to change. I asked if he would be unassigned if I chose not to change my battery configuration... he said no. He said he will be my guide from here on out for both orders.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

8/2020 R1T Preorder and have been configured for a Max pack since the configurator opened. Last I heard was "1st half of 2023."

I actually just changed to a Large pack last night. I don't have any new information, but I just don't have confidence Max packs will be delivered in the 1st half of 2023. If any of us hear of any Max pack updates, perhaps I'll switch back, but I'm getting impatient. I just want the truck at this point.
ā€¦and I just switched back to Max Pack. LOL.

I had a CS chat today and was told R1 Shop invitations (to his understanding and knowledge) are based on pre-order date and that configuration doesnā€™t matter much. Whether or not thatā€™s actually the case, I decided to switch back to Max and wait for the update delivery estimate later this summer. I am expecting theyā€™ll push back to later in 2023 but who really knows?

In the meantime, Iā€™ll look forward to the browsing and shopping available orphan options in the R1 Shop whenever I get my invitation. I have a good sense of the configurations on which Iā€™d pull the trigger for an earlier delivery and let go of my Max pack configuration.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
ā€¦and I just switched back to Max Pack. LOL.

I had a CS chat today and was told R1 Shop invitations (to his understanding and knowledge) are based on pre-order date and that configuration doesnā€™t matter much. Whether or not thatā€™s actually the case, I decided to switch back to Max and wait for the update delivery estimate later this summer. I am expecting theyā€™ll push back to later in 2023 but who really knows?

In the meantime, Iā€™ll look forward to the browsing and shopping available orphan options in the R1 Shop whenever I get my invitation. I have a good sense of the configurations on which Iā€™d pull the trigger for an earlier delivery and let go of my Max pack configuration.
Just got my R1 Shop invite. Shopping now... there are 6 trucks available.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I also had a call from Rivian on January to see if I wanted to switch from Max Pack. I did not, so they gave me an estimate of 1H2023.

I've always had the Max Pack configured. Don't see a reason to change this and I'm getting used to the Model S with 400+ miles of range (at least on paper).

Last edited:

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I wouldnā€™t mind an update of any sort, even if it was ā€œFYI, itā€™s still gonna be 2nd half of 2023ā€¦ā€

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Max pack order holder for over 2 years now... Only estimate I ever received was late last year when they sent out the initial delivery windows emails and I was told 2H 2023... Nothing since. I get other emails even the latest saying they will have updated delivery timeframes and reach out and all that. Nothing though.

Also have an LE reservation that I switched from an R1T to R1S... Nothing, so I inquired about a month and a half ago... Was told very late this year, but probably 1H 2023. So I guess I don't get a Rivian until late next year unless I snag one from an auction or get super lucky. My wife wants the R1S, but is also refusing to buy it with the current range. It's pretty comparable to what we have with our Model Y and that's a no-go for her. She does 60% of her driving right around town and daily at home charging is more than adequate. But the other 40%-ish, is longer day trips and the Model Y can be problematic at times, especially with severe cold or bad weather. If R1S can't improve on that, it's a no-go... I'm holding out for max pack on my R1T so I can tow and camp with it. With the standard battery limitations, I may as well get the F-150 lightning for the larger interior better power options with essentially the same range. I like air suspension, quicker acceleration and the gear tunnel and all that, but it comes with the compromise of the smaller truck. Only a 1400W shared circuit for onboard power outlets... The onboard air compressor is really tempting. And gear tunnel... Honestly, I'm going with either the Lightning or R1T, whichever I can get first. It will be my daily driver, all-around truck and I'll reassess in a few years when the tech improves.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I received my guide about 10 days ago. I thought it was for my 2021 order that I was scheduled to receive July-September of this year. Turns out it was for the Max pack truck I have on order and he was checking to see if I would be willing to down size the battery.

When I explained that I had another truck on order with the large pack my guide got a little confused. I've been receiving invitations to the R1 Shop, but, according to my guide, the swap would be for the Max pack.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Have any firm details materialized on the 'max pack'? It seems like it's always been light on information. How much more does it weigh? What is the actual expected range, does it affect the charging curve? etc, etc.

I would expect we would know a lot more if this was legitimately 6 months from release, I expect a delay at the least.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Large Pack is 135 KWH = 45 KWH x 3. Max Pack is 180 KWH = 45 x 4. I am assuming.........right or wrong.........that it is simply three sets of batteries for the large vs four sets for the max. If you look at the the stripped down chassis from the hub pictures, there is an empty space for the extra set of battery packs. It cant be that extra complicated to produce, but probably is simply a supply/demand equation. They can make and sell more complete R1Ts with Large packs vs Max Packs in a constrained battery world. I am still a Max Pack (1/4/20, RB, BM, 21" AP) hold out. I am fortunate to have two 300 mile+ Teslas to hold me over in the mean time while I wait. It is going to be worth it IMHO.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Max pack all comes down to battery supply, not new tech or anything. If they start delivering max pack trucks now, each one takes 33% more batteries than a "large" pack R1T. And battery supply is already one of the primary limiters on the number of trucks they can produce.

So the good thing about waiting for a max pack is Rivian should have all the production kinks and initial bugs sorted out by then. They may even have an upgrade or two folded in. But waiting is hard and I really, really need a new truck.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

With the new wave of updates, has anybody received an updated delivery date on the Max Pack R1T?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
With the new wave of updates, has anybody received an updated delivery date on the Max Pack R1T?
No, because there is no update. Not even one saying thereā€™s no change. ā˜¹

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Considering they're now pushing day 1 RIS LE deliveries to 2023, I doubt you'll see a max pack before 2024, if ever.

I still expect Rivian to cancel the max pack entirely, but they know when they do they'll lose preorders.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
No, because there is no update. Not even one saying thereā€™s no change. ā˜¹

Not sure if I'm just having a weak moment, but the radio silence on Max Pack is not giving me a good vibe that this is going to happen anytime soon. I was previously given 1H2023 as delivery expectation about 6 months ago - not going to wait until then to just have it pushed further out. I'm changing my configuration to downsize the battery today... prove me wrong Rivian!

Now I'm waiting on OC...
Sponsored