Sponsored

Lucid slashes production forecast for 2022

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I actually agree with you. The biggest impact EVs of all shapes and sizes will make is in the commercial and government market. Work trucks and buses and taxis are out there far more than you or I in our individual vehicles.

I think Rivian would be smart to eventually get into that market too and use the lessons learned form making the amazon vans and “adventure” vehicles. A stripped down R1T with optional tool storage would be very popular IMHO.
I think Rivian has already figured this out. The way I interpret the more recent Rivian news is that they are going to really focus on hitting their 100k commitment to Amazon to unlock their ability to market the EDV platform to other fleet operators and work purposes. I personally think the pushback of the R2 line is a result of a decision to focus on cranking out the EDV at max capacity. They likely will have significantly higher margins on EDVs sold to fleet managers other than Amazon, so this will also help their bottom line until the R2 comes along.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think Rivian has already figured this out. The way I interpret the more recent Rivian news is that they are going to really focus on hitting their 100k commitment to Amazon to unlock their ability to market the EDV platform to other fleet operators and work purposes. I personally think the pushback of the R2 line is a result of a decision to focus on cranking out the EDV at max capacity. They likely will have significantly higher margins on EDVs sold to fleet managers other than Amazon, so this will also help their bottom line until the R2 comes along.
That would make perfect sense.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm really curious about the EDV margins. They're selling them to Amazon in the $70k to $80k range

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

As terrible as spam calling is from a consumer perspective, I really hope Lucid makes it. The Air is a seriously impressive vehicle and has a great presence in person. I saw my first one at the Biltmore Hotel in Phoenix a couple of months ago and it really looks its price.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The good thing about the Amazon contract is it is a cost+ contract price so they know how much profit on each vehicle.

There is something in there about Amazon gets first right of refusal as well for a certain period so not just the 100k number.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Lucid is doomed. They are getting many customer cancellations and the sales force is bordering on harassment asking them not to cancel and reconsider.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Lucid is doomed. They are getting many customer cancellations and the sales force is bordering on harassment asking them not to cancel and reconsider.
14 phone calls potentially is past the point of bordering on harassment and is well into the realm of harassment for sure.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I fully agree with you. 14 Lucid phone calls is insane.

Rgrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I test drove Lucid Air - will not consider it further. The A pillar was so large, I could not see around it no matter how much I adjusted the seat. I was completely blind pulling into traffic. It was terrifying. And all so they could make the windshield and roof a single piece of glass.

I am holding onto the reservation in case they actually survive long enough to field the Gravity. But I doubt it. I think their best exit is to sell their IP to the highest bidder. Lucid does have some impressive tech. Somebody will buy it.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I agree. They have a very efficient and compact electric motor, inverter and drivetrain.
Sponsored