Sponsored

LT Tire Choices

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I personally think LT tires are the way to go with this truck. Unless you're into drag racing and need an H rated tire..... Opens up the range of possiblities to chose a tire that suits your needs. Here is my choice for summer shoes for the R1T. Conti Terrain Contact A/T. It's a more road centric A/T tire, is known to be quieter with decent tread life. Can handle some light off roading. The final thing I like about this choice is while it is a more civilized A/T tire, the outer tread block on the sidewall opens up to trick the mind into looking like they are more aggressive.

What you like in a certain purpose category?

And BTW, this Jack and Jill of all tires is a bomb if you don't want to throw truck on lift and hoist these monstrosities off the ground. And if you have a rickety back from racing incident like me. Makes life waay easier.
Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices 20230406_123220 (1)

Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices 20230406_123210 (1)
Sponsored

Last edited:

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

I'm disappointed in your brand choice (wink wink) but interested to hear how they perform. I've got my swap planned for this weekend and will share thoughts as well.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Eager to see range hit plus or minus, and road comfort
I don't expect any range hit and actually pretty sure I'll have better range than the oem AT tires. And if I so desire, I can crank up the PSI for a road trip to really squeeze range. Road comfort, it's likely gonna be a bit more harsh for anything but highway....that's just the fact it's an LT tire with stiffer sidewall.

DallasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender 110 Dynamic X, R1S
Looks like TerrainContact is 60.6 lbs compared to OEM of 48 lbs. Do you think this will have a significant negative impact on the range? I'm looking for LT tires. Considering Nitto Ridge Grappler, Nitto Recon Grappler or Toyo AT3.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Looks like TerrainContact is 60.6 lbs compared to OEM of 48 lbs. Do you think this will have a significant negative impact on the range? I'm looking for LT tires. Considering Nitto Ridge Grappler, Nitto Recon Grappler or Toyo AT3.
I doubt it, just 48 lbs difference all around. I'd bet some $$ whatever difference there might be is imperceptible. But I couldn't really say to be honest....wouldn't bet my life on it.

Eexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla P3D, Tesla PYD, Tundra, FK8 CTR
Occupation
Tooth puller
I doubt it, just 48 lbs difference all around. I'd bet some $$ whatever difference there might be is imperceptible. But I couldn't really say to be honest....wouldn't bet my life on it.
Will be interesting to see the difference in energy used. Rivian and Pirelli partnered to create a low rolling resistance tirefor more range. The 12.6 lbs increase in weight per wheel is actually equal to 4 times or 50 lbs per corner in rolling resistance so it’s like adding 200 lbs to the vehicle.

https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-t...-silence-on-board-and-low-rolling-resistance/

I noticed a loss in mileage in my Toyota Tundra going from Goodyear Duratracs to Toyo OC AT2’s that were heavier. I definitely notice a lower range in my Teslas for compounds and tires throughout the seasons. I’m no stranger to wheels and tires and weight and rolling resistance definitely will affect range. Summer, all-seasons, winters, and studded winters all have differing effects on range.

I’m a fan of Signature wheels and JDM wheels…too bad no Volks or Advans are available for Rivian specs. A few pics of my EV’s and Tundra.

Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices E7110BAE-A541-4EFC-BC9B-47E6583FE323

Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices 5F496107-4067-4E8F-A01F-B7016BA631D1

Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices F723ED12-256A-413C-849B-7D88FB0AE4E0

Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices 5A735C5E-9F5E-43D3-9991-130C14D0FCA2

Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices 11D6E5F6-6477-4560-A46F-14B3EDE6E84B

Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices 2435B17E-1459-4A74-9C15-EB3FA8F63A5B

Rivian R1T R1S LT Tire Choices C82F55AC-A404-483A-9508-79F263DF47D8

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Will be interesting to see the difference in energy used. Rivian and Pirelli partnered to create a low rolling resistance tirefor more range. The 12.6 lbs increase in weight per wheel is actually equal to 4 times or 50 lbs per corner in rolling resistance so it’s like adding 200 lbs to the vehicle.

https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-t...-silence-on-board-and-low-rolling-resistance/

I noticed a loss in mileage in my Toyota Tundra going from Goodyear Duratracs to Toyo OC AT2’s that were heavier. I definitely notice a lower range in my Teslas for compounds and tires throughout the seasons. I’m no stranger to wheels and tires and weight and rolling resistance definitely will affect range. Summer, all-seasons, winters, and studded winters all have differing effects on range.

I’m a fan of Signature wheels and JDM wheels…too bad no Volks or Advans are available for Rivian specs. A few pics of my EV’s and Tundra.

E7110BAE-A541-4EFC-BC9B-47E6583FE323.jpeg

5F496107-4067-4E8F-A01F-B7016BA631D1.jpeg

F723ED12-256A-413C-849B-7D88FB0AE4E0.jpeg

5A735C5E-9F5E-43D3-9991-130C14D0FCA2.jpeg

11D6E5F6-6477-4560-A46F-14B3EDE6E84B.jpeg

2435B17E-1459-4A74-9C15-EB3FA8F63A5B.jpeg

C82F55AC-A404-483A-9508-79F263DF47D8.jpeg
You have some pretty good taste in wheels.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I agree with most all you said, but maybe oversimplified.

It's also a matter of perspective. On the issue of weight, of course it will have an affect on range. But to what degree? In isolation, when considering the how weight will affect range....even at 200lbs added.....I doubt the addition of that weight will have any perceptible affect. It does add unsprung weight to the truck...but who cares it's not a racecar.

As for rolling resistance. It's not just about tire compound. Tread style, size, tire stiffness, etc... all play a part. These tires, in particular, have a more highway style tread block than the oem A/T. They are quieter than the oem tires and the guessing they will perform as good or better than the oem A/T. Of course you throw a set of NItto Grappler M/T on the truck and that's a different story.

The final thing is we are talking about an LT tire here. They generally have a much much stiffer sideway and reinforced tire construction. And you can feel it in the ride. By making that switch from the oem euro metric "regular" tire, I'm guessing the LT tire construction alone will have a positive affect on range.

But it's all speculation at this point...we shall see.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The 12.6 lbs increase in weight per wheel is actually equal to 4 times or 50 lbs per corner in rolling resistance so it’s like adding 200 lbs to the vehicle.
Only when accelerating. Manufacturers are incentivized to maximize EPA range. Many high end EV owners likely want to maximize highway range. Heavier tires should not significantly decrease highway range.

Heavier tires are likely more durable.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I agree with most all you said, but maybe oversimplified.

It's also a matter of perspective. On the issue of weight, of course it will have an affect on range. But to what degree? In isolation, when considering the how weight will affect range....even at 200lbs added.....I doubt the addition of that weight will have any perceptible affect. It does add unsprung weight to the truck...but who cares it's not a racecar.

As for rolling resistance. It's not just about tire compound. Tread style, size, tire stiffness, etc... all play a part. These tires, in particular, have a more highway style tread block than the oem A/T. They are quieter than the oem tires and the guessing they will perform as good or better than the oem A/T. Of course you throw a set of NItto Grappler M/T on the truck and that's a different story.

The final thing is we are talking about an LT tire here. They generally have a much much stiffer sideway and reinforced tire construction. And you can feel it in the ride. By making that switch from the oem euro metric "regular" tire, I'm guessing the LT tire construction alone will have a positive affect on range.

But it's all speculation at this point...we shall see.
It's not a matter of perspective. Its physics.

The moment of inertia for heavier tires, if the weight is concentrated towards the treads rather than the sidewalls, will definitely affect the range due to higher energy required to rotate them. Think of figure skater's spinning rate with his/her arms out versus tucked in. The energy required for the skater to rotate is the same.

It is also more than compound too.

Last, ANY new tires will have higher rolling resistance than the same tire as it wears down. Why? Because less mass at the treads.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002

The moment of inertia for heavier tires, if the weight is concentrated towards the treads rather than the sidewalls, will definitely affect the range due to higher energy required to rotate them. Think of figure skater's spinning rate with his/her arms out versus tucked in. The energy required for the skater to rotate is the same.

Last, ANY new tires will have higher rolling resistance than the same tire as it wears down. Why? Because less mass at the treads.
Yeah, I get it. But your just playing word games. If you look at the whole of what I said...I DON'T disagree. But if you want to argue about the physics of adding 1g or 200lbs of weight and whether it makes a noticeable or significant to hit to range on a practical level....knock yourself out.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002

And since you are the physic expert here. Tell me exactly how much 1 lb of tire weight added to an R1T tire is gonna affect the range.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Only when accelerating. Manufacturers are incentivized to maximize EPA range. Many high end EV owners likely want to maximize highway range. Heavier tires should not significantly decrease highway range.

Heavier tires are likely more durable.
Consumer Reports once took a Golf and did nothing but vary the rim diameter, keeping overall wheel radius the same. They found range dropped 10%. It's a bit hard to determine whether it was the weight or the rolling resistance, though.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Consumer Reports once took a Golf and did nothing but vary the rim diameter, keeping overall wheel radius the same. They found range dropped 10%. It's a bit hard to determine whether it was the weight or the rolling resistance, though.
Likely this is why Rivian ended up with the 21" wheels & tires..... It's such a weird and goofy choice. Unfortunately it hangs anyone who has them with virtually no other tire choices now and in the future.
Sponsored