Locking and Unlocking and Keys

spencerb

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Been lurking and contemplating a reservation...

So my understanding is that you have four "key" options: fob, card, bracelet, and phone. I do not want to use my phone as a key. I don't always carry my phone with me, its battery may be dead, sometimes I want to lock my phone in the truck, sometimes I want to keep the truck unlocked when I leave, and sometimes I don't want the truck to unlock when I approach. I just really don't like the concept of unlocking/locking upon approach/departure. Too many instances when that's not what I want to happen. I frequently walk past my truck with no intentions of opening a door. And I often walk away from the truck and want it to stay unlocked (in the garage, loading an unloading things, or with other people getting in and out).

So I understand that you can turn off phone-as-a-key and turn off automatic proximity locking. But where does that leave me? Old-school pressing buttons on the fob. I've gotten used to keeping a key in my pocket, grabbing the handle or pushing a button on the handle to unlock, and pressing a button on the handle or tapping it to lock.

First world problems I know, but I really think I would be annoyed by having to use the fob buttons to lock and unlock. That's what you did on cars 30 years ago. I'm all about new technology (hence why I want a Rivian), but only if it doesn't create a problem by solving another. I don't want to say it's a deal breaker, but it does give me a lot of hesitation. Or maybe I'm just not understanding how it works.

I think it's a long shot, but is there any chance they will put an exterior lock/unlock button or touch sensor on the handles or doors so I can keep the fob in my pocket?

On an unrelated note, I got to see the F150 Lightening up close and take a very short ride in one at an auto show that past weekend. It's a really neat truck. They did a good job of blending in the traditional truck with new technology. I'm ready to downsize for my next truck though. There's speculation of a Ranger BEV, so that may be in the cards. I bet it will have sensors on the door handles.

Oh, and I saw an R1T in Memphis last week. I heard about a guy with a reservation who saw it too and tried to flag them down to ask questions but was unsuccessful.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If I ever actually get the bracelet, I plan on trying to use that as well as the fob as my primary key for a few days and see how it works out. Bracelet to unlock and fob to drive.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I keep the NFC card in my wallet and primarily use that. You don’t even need to take it out, I just hold up my wallet to the door handle to lock and unlock.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I keep the NFC card in my wallet and primarily use that. You don’t even need to take it out, I just hold up my wallet to the door handle to lock and unlock.
You should get an RFID blocking wallet...

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler

So my understanding is that you have four "key" options: fob, card, bracelet, and phone. I do not want to use my phone as a key. I don't always carry my phone with me, its battery may be dead, sometimes I want to lock my phone in the truck, sometimes I want to keep the truck unlocked when I leave, and sometimes I don't want the truck to unlock when I approach. I just really don't like the concept of unlocking/locking upon approach/departure. Too many instances when that's not what I want to happen. I frequently walk past my truck with no intentions of opening a door. And I often walk away from the truck and want it to stay unlocked (in the garage, loading an unloading things, or with other people getting in and out).

So I understand that you can turn off phone-as-a-key and turn off automatic proximity locking. But where does that leave me? Old-school pressing buttons on the fob. I've gotten used to keeping a key in my pocket, grabbing the handle or pushing a button on the handle to unlock, and pressing a button on the handle or tapping it to lock.

First world problems I know, but I really think I would be annoyed by having to use the fob buttons to lock and unlock. That's what you did on cars 30 years ago. I'm all about new technology (hence why I want a Rivian), but only if it doesn't create a problem by solving another. I don't want to say it's a deal breaker, but it does give me a lot of hesitation. Or maybe I'm just not understanding how it works.

I think it's a long shot, but is there any chance they will put an exterior lock/unlock button or touch sensor on the handles or doors so I can keep the fob in my pocket?

On an unrelated note, I got to see the F150 Lightening up close and take a very short ride in one at an auto show that past weekend. It's a really neat truck. They did a good job of blending in the traditional truck with new technology. I'm ready to downsize for my next truck though. There's speculation of a Ranger BEV, so that may be in the cards. I bet it will have sensors on the door handles.

Oh, and I saw an R1T in Memphis last week. I heard about a guy with a reservation who saw it too and tried to flag them down to ask questions but was unsuccessful.
So you can just use the card and stick it in your wallet or use the bracelet. Both would open the truck and keep it in that state until you lock it with the card or bracelet.

OP
OP

spencerb

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
So you can just use the card and stick it in your wallet or use the bracelet. Both would open the truck and keep it in that state until you lock it with the card or bracelet.
I thought about drilling a small hole in the card and putting it on a keyring and using it that way.

Wallet stays in the truck when I'm going in places where I don't need it (such as the gym). Don't tell thieves.

I actually will lock the keys in my truck too and use the number keypad on the door to lock and unlock. Someone in the gym got their keys and car stolen, so I will often just keep everything locked in the truck (keys, phone, and wallet). Again, don't tell the thieves. I do like Ford's keypad.

Am I also correct that there's no lock/unlock button on the inside of the door?

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I thought about drilling a small hole in the card and putting it on a keyring and using it that way.

Wallet stays in the truck when I'm going in places where I don't need it (such as the gym). Don't tell thieves.

I actually will lock the keys in my truck too and use the number keypad on the door to lock and unlock. Someone in the gym got their keys and car stolen, so I will often just keep everything locked in the truck (keys, phone, and wallet). Again, don't tell the thieves. I do like Ford's keypad.

Am I also correct that there's no lock/unlock button on the inside of the door?
You could take the single card out and leave everything in the truck. I would bet most thieves, if they pulled out the card from your pants or wherever you stored the card, they wouldn't know what it is and left it alone

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Sorry to break it to you but it has many ways to un/lock but no great one version of it. The phone Bluetooth does it by proximity to the truck so if you’re at the house and you walk around the house with your phone you keep hearing it un/lock, so you turn off Bluetooth when you get home…which is….silly. Key cards and bracelet you can only tap the driver door handle to use. Key fob can only be pressed to function, it’s not an external proximity key fob. If you leave the key fob in the truck to go somewhere with your phone , the Bluetooth on phone won’t lock truck so be sure check that before you leave. And you’ll lock your rear passengers in the truck if you walk away with your phone to go to the bathroom for a bit. So just a basic proximity key fob like every modern car would have been best.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Key fob can only be pressed to function, it’s not an external proximity key fob. If you leave the key fob in the truck to go somewhere with your phone , the Bluetooth on phone won’t lock truck so be sure check that before you leave.
I'm a little confused here. The key fob is or is not a proximity key? It sounds like no, but the car won't auto-lock if the fob is inside?? So it does have a prox feature, it just doesn't auto-unlock?

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I'm a little confused here. The key fob is or is not a proximity key? It sounds like no, but the car won't auto-lock if the fob is inside?? So it does have a prox feature, it just doesn't auto-unlock?
Yes exactly…unless I’m overlooking som’n with its function. If I stand by the door without my phone but I have the key I have to press the fob for it to open/close. But the truck knows that the key is inside but not outside. I’ve learn to keep the carabiner key on my loop so I don’t have to fumble to find it to un/lock.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
I used phone plus keycard. The phone is a little sensitive, but otherwise works for my need

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Yes exactly…unless I’m overlooking som’n with its function. If I stand by the door without my phone but I have the key I have to press the fob for it to open/close. But the truck knows that the key is inside but not outside. I’ve learn to keep the carabiner key on my loop so I don’t have to fumble to find it to un/lock.
I was wondering how the truck allowed you to take off with the carabiner key. I figured you had to place it somewhere, like the Tesla fob with the wireless charging pad. Surprised to hear it can detect it. Seems like they could detect it outside if that's the case.

OP
OP

spencerb

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Sorry to break it to you but it has many ways to un/lock but no great one version of it. The phone Bluetooth does it by proximity to the truck so if you’re at the house and you walk around the house with your phone you keep hearing it un/lock, so you turn off Bluetooth when you get home…which is….silly. Key cards and bracelet you can only tap the driver door handle to use. Key fob can only be pressed to function, it’s not an external proximity key fob. If you leave the key fob in the truck to go somewhere with your phone , the Bluetooth on phone won’t lock truck so be sure check that before you leave. And you’ll lock your rear passengers in the truck if you walk away with your phone to go to the bathroom for a bit. So just a basic proximity key fob like every modern car would have been best.
THIS ^^^

I'm guessing Rivian is doing the pop-out handles for aerodynamics and maybe to make the truck feel more high-tech. But like I said, don't solve one problem to create another. The Mach-E has a novel way of providing the aerodynamic benefits with no real loss of functionality. It uses proximity keys and a button to pop the door open. There's also a touch sensor on the outside of the door you tap to lock it. And they have a number keypad to lock and unlock if you want to go keyless.

I suggest that Rivian put a button or touch sensor on the outside of the doors (even just the front doors is ok) and configure the keyfob to be a prox key. You walk up to the truck with the fob in your pocket, press/touch the button/sensor to unlock. When you exit the truck, press/touch the same button/sensor to lock it. It would work almost just like other modern vehicles. The only downside compared to many cars it that you'd press the button to unlock and then pull the handle (and you have to wait a moment for the handle to pop out) instead of just grabbing the handle and it unlocks and opens the door in one motion. But that's not a bad downside. My preference is just to have regular door handles.

It'll also be ok if they forget the bracelet and card and have a number pad as a backup if your phone-as-a-key dies. Another way is to do something like our Subaru. You can program a "code" to unlock the car using the exterior rear hatch release button. You tap it in a number sequence. If your code is 1234, you tap it 1 time, pause, 2 times, pause, etc. Then it unlocks the car. The Rivian then could be programmed to start with a code on the center screen. I'm guessing there's a button on the tailgate they could use for this function.

I started this thread to get clarification but also knowing that it's likely someone's job at Rivian to read these forums for feedback. My philosophy is that a company won't know what customers think if no one tells them.
Sponsored